Sponsored by:

$10,000 "new car" fee? What?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

What's so deceptive about this? They are not making you do it..so many are hypocritical here. And you want the gov't to do something about it?????

Until you have the hot product in the game, then.....

So you decide to list your house in your neighborhood. Everything else is going for 250K, but you have the hot house on the corner, waterfront etc...you decide $400k even after your agent says that's an outrageous price...you get $380 and laugh all the way to the bank....

what's so diff here???....many dealers have the only Vette IN THEIR TOWN for sale, if someone is willing to pay it, it's legal....
Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
What's so deceptive about this? They are not making you do it..so many are hypocritical here. And you want the gov't to do something about it?????

Until you have the hot product in the game, then.....

So you decide to list your house in your neighborhood. Everything else is going for 250K, but you have the hot house on the corner, waterfront etc...you decide $400k even after your agent says that's an outrageous price...you get $380 and laugh all the way to the bank....

what's so diff here???....many dealers have the only Vette IN THEIR TOWN for sale, if someone is willing to pay it, it's legal....
It is capitalism...and there is a sucker born every day! If nobody buys it at that price, the dealer will have to adjust one way or another.

Last edited by BlueOx; 12-08-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Seriously, you have never heard of dealers doing this? You don't get out much, do you

It first started over 40 years ago with the then Datsun (Nissan now) 240Z. Dealers have done it over the years many times when a hot new car came out in high demand.

It used to bug me no end when dealers do it, but like the posts above say, blame the buyers, not the dealers and be thankful we live where there is free enterprise.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

You should have informed them about your $20k fee to buy your used car
Old 12-08-2013, 05:03 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

should have got the paper and made it into a plane and threw it towards the finance office.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,575 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Default How's this for a "rip-off"?

Several years ago, I was at a Chevy dealer in Columbia, SC buying a new Avalanche. They had just Come out and I wanted one in the worst way. After several hours of negotiation, I finally settled on a price and a payment I was happy with and was promptly shuffled off to the credit manager to do the paperwork, and the stack had to be almost an inch thick.

I also read each document before I sign and about 3/4 of the way through the pile of documents, I found the "hook". It was a promissory note for (get ready) $17,000.00 due in three years. I asked, "what the hell is this??!!"

"Why, it's a GM "Smart Buy"" replied the credit guy.

"Don't look so "smart" to me", I seethe in reply, then immediately demand the deal we had agreed on. After about 20 minutes of going back and forth, the Sales Manager walks in and inquiries as to what the problem is. I showed him the note and announced I did not agree to this, never would agree to this, and again demanded the deal we had agreed to.

With that, the sales manager broke out in the grandest "Cheshire Cat" grin I have ever seen and smirked, "You did not really think we would sell you the truck for that, did you?"

I grabbed the keys to the pick-up truck I had planned to trade in and stormed out to the parking lot. The lot guys were already in the process of removing the tag when I jumped in and took off leaving a trail of rubber on my way off the lot.

The name of the dealership was Neusome Chevrolet and I do not believe they are in business any longer....

I often think of all the poor people they must have been successfully sucked into this fraud. Imagine getting a letter out of the blue one day, demanding several thousand dollars you did not know you had to pay because you did NOT carefully read the paperwork.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Several years ago, I was at a Chevy dealer in Columbia, SC buying a new Avalanche. They had just Come out and I wanted one in the worst way. After several hours of negotiation, I finally settled on a price and a payment I was happy with and was promptly shuffled off to the credit manager to do the paperwork, and the stack had to be almost an inch thick.

I also read each document before I sign and about 3/4 of the way through the pile of documents, I found the "hook". It was a promissory note for (get ready) $17,000.00 due in three years. I asked, "what the hell is this??!!"

"Don't look so "smart" to me", I seethe in reply, then immediately demand the deal we had agreed on. After about 20 minutes of going back and forth, the Sales Manager walks in and inquiries as to what the problem is. I showed him the note and announced I did not agree to this, never would agree to this, and again demanded the deal we had agreed to.

With that, the sales manager broke out in the grandest "Cheshire Cat" grin I have ever seen and smirked, "You did not really think we would sell you the truck for that, did you?"

I grabbed the keys to the pick-up truck I had planned to trade in and stormed out to the parking lot. The lot guys were already in the process of removing the tag when I jumped in and took off leaving a trail of rubber on my way off the lot.

The name of the dealership was Neusome Chevrolet and I do not believe they are in business any longer....

I often think of all the poor people they must have been successfully sucked into this fraud. Imagine getting a letter out of the blue one day, demanding several thousand dollars you did not know you had to pay because you did NOT carefully read the paperwork.
thats a great story -

before any paperwork gets started, I have scoped out what my bottom line is for my trade and what the price is for the new car. I then calc the DIFFERENCE and get them agree to that before even looking at a buyers order. That number has to be at the bottom of the buyers order and nothing else....above the line, they can value the new car and my trade at any #'s they want, but the diff has to be the number I am looking for.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In 2000 I was wanting to buy a new Chrysler PT Cruiser (don't laugh...) as a Christmas present (not for me!). The supply was far less than the demand and dealers nationwide were ripping people off right & left. My neighbor was our local tag agent and told me about someone in our town who had recently bought a PT Cruiser "Touring Edition" - maybe the MSRP was about $18,000. Since my neighbor did the registration and tag she knew all the details - they had paid $35,000!!! I'd never pay over MSRP for anything - but the $10,000 over on a new C7 is a lot less than the $17,000 over MSRP for that PT Cruiser - basically paying DOUBLE! I ended up buying a new Mazda Millenia that is STILL very nice (69,000 miles) - the PT Cruiser would probably be in the wrecking yard by now.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly why you NEVER purchase a vehicle for a "monthly payment".

Always ask what I do.... what's my "out the door" price.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM
John_R
Racer

Originally Posted by AH1H
Sounds like your basic total-BS dealer fee.

https://autos.aol.com/article/avoid-car-dealer-fees/

The ironic part is there is another link on the link you posted. Its about dealer association that are against manufactures like Tesla selling their own cars directly without dealerships, and say if they don't stop manufacturers they will increase the cost of cars.

pot calling the kettle black

https://autos.aol.com/article/auto-d...-increase-car/
Old 12-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Rush Fan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TX Navy Vet
I can't believe this didn't come up before you sat down in finance.

Usually the more "reputable" dealers will show the $10,000 mark up as "market adjustment" right there next to the window sticker.

You didn't discuss the price and trade value before getting into the finance office?

You should have taken a pen to the paperwork and added "+$11,000" to the trade value and written in "Customer Trade In Fee".
I like that, it's bold.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Default Dealer was deceptive

The dealer seems to lack tact and professionalism, as they failed to recognize that the method in which they informed you about their "little" $10k markup would cause you time and aggravation.

That was definitely deceptive and inconsiderate on the dealers part. If they want to ask $10k over MSRP then they should have indicated that UP FRONT or on the windshield of the car, if it is in the showroom.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They were waiting for you to offer them a spider monkey.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:48 AM
avalonandl
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by invadermoose
I sat down at a dealership to trade my M3 in for a C7. The window sticker was $71,995. My M3 was valued at $30,000. So naturall I assume I'll be giving them my M3 and be paying around $41,995 before taxes.

Nope. They give me the paperwork and it reads "$81,000" at the bottom. WHAT? I look through all the fees and they stuck on a $10,000 "new car fee", and completely neglected the value of my M3. I got up and left, i've bought exotics before and I've never, ever, heard of a new car fee.

Is this seriously a thing?
Routine in California. Where was the dealer?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Navy Vet
exactly why you NEVER purchase a vehicle for a "monthly payment".

Always ask what I do.... what's my "out the door" price.
Absolutely agree, except that instead of asking your out the door price, tell them your out the door price.

This is one of the dirtier tricks I've heard of. I'm sure it works a good portion of the time for them also. The car buying process is like any sales transaction where there is build up of excitement. Once they have you past "yes" they try to get in the finance office, where by now you just want to drive your new car, and are more than happy to expidite the process. That's how they sneak this crap in there. Question everything.

When in the finance office, if they appear to be in a hurry, this is a red flag. A reputable dealer will actually want to calm you down, and take the time to ensure you fully understand everything being presented to you. Good dealers want to sell you you're next vehicle as well, not just this one.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 12-09-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The $10,000 mark-up is my "out the door price".

They price it $10k over MSRP, and I'm out the door!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:00 PM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If I read this right it's not a $10,000 upcharge it's a $40,000 upcharge.
$10k over sticker and Zero for the BMW.

Please tell us who this thief is

USAF

Get notified of new replies

To $10,000 "new car" fee? What?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
They were trying to cheat you -- pure and simple. At full sticker price any dealership will realize thousands in profit. $10,000 more?? Attempted grand theft auto!

Originally Posted by harlold
You should have informed them about your $20k fee to buy your used car

You mean Newsome Chevy?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I am in my 60's now. Back in 79 a big Kansas City Chevy dealer added several thousand dollars over msrp for a Black Coupe, I told them in no uncertain terms what they could do with the extra dollars. I left. The funny thing is to this day that same dealer still sends me a Chevrolet Brochure every year. This is really funny as this dealership has gone thru several name changes.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 PM
CCDawg69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer is placing a "Market Adjustment" of $7,500 on the Z51 and $5,000 on the base model. Glad I ordered mine!!

Quick Reply: $10,000 "new car" fee? What?