Man this car is noisy on the freeway, so much road noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GazUK
Man this car is noisy on the freeway, so much road noise. My car is a Z51 Coupe 3LT Auto.

At freeway speeds, one has to almost shout to hold a conversation with the person sitting next to you.

The stereo sounds great at slow/no speed, but speed up, and the road noise all but drowns it out unless you to crank it up to “give me a headache” volumes (and yes I do have the volume compensation thingy turned on).

This is not engine or wind noise, it appears to be coming from the tires.

And I can hear little stones hitting underneath the car quite a lot, it’s like there’s little or no sound deadening on this car.

I have no idea what the other generation cars interior noise level is like, since this is the first Vette I have ever owned.

I love the sport with a luxury touch ideal of the 3LT trim level, which is why I ordered it that way, but man that road noise is just spoiling it for me.

I installed a “partition” from Exoticvette as I had read in another thread that it helps with the road noise coming from the rear, and while it looks good and functions great as a partition, it did nothing to suppress any road/tire noise.

I suppose, since I think it’s mostly generated from the rock hard tiny super stiff sidewalled run flat tires, that my best option will be to hurry up and wear out the Michelins and look for a softer and quieter riding set of tires, and even maybe going up a smidge on the sidewall size, like from 35 to 40 for the fronts and from 30 to 35 on the rears, if they even come that size. Just thinking out loud here.

I really don’t feel like removing all the interior to install Dynomat to everything, but maybe I will have to if I’m to enjoy this car, which is my dream car, that I have been saving/planning for for the past 7 years.

Sorry for the long winded rant, I’m hoping to get some advise from others on this topic, maybe some advise on which tires brand/types would be best for me on this car.
Sounds a lot like the 370Z forum. People complained about road noise (and how the tires were always throwing pebbles into the underside giving one a never-ending pelting till the tread word down a lot).

They tried spray on stuff on the underside to quieten (didn't work as well as most had hoped) and dynomat (sp?) which was a tad expensive and still left them wanting. Then, of course, people lamented the extra weight all their efforts added.

I just learned to live with it.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

I can't speak specifically on the C7 however my 09 Z06 road noise was very noticeable for all the reasons already mentioned, size of tires, proximity of driver to tires and road. Since I didn't track my car and wasn't concerned about a few additional pounds, I installed the full insulation kit and the Lloyds mats. This made a noticeable difference. However the major change came when I replaced the Run Flats with the Michelin PSS. My wife noticed the change immediately (helped justify the price of the tires). The older the Run Flats, the harder they become and the more noise they make. The car handles great with the PSS and is much quieter, and much smoother. We have made a 3000 and 2000 mile road trip (since the tire change) and the car was a pleasure to drive. There is still a significant noise difference between the asphalt and concrete.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Concrete roads are going to be terrible for any car, let alone a car with low profile/runflats.
When I replaced my runflats on my C5 with non runflats I was amazed at the difference. I was actually scared the first time I drove out of my driveway it was so noticeable.
Live with it for a while and see what you think.
I'll let you know what I think of the C7 in 2015.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I honestly expected my C7 to have more road noise than it does. I figured I am sitting close to some wide, sticky, and soft rubber. However, I am pleased. The 2013 Mustang GT I traded in was certainly louder. Here in Florida we do have a fair share of grooved concrete roads. Those get noisy in any vehicle I have driven.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Tannman
Not as noisy as my 1999 C5 Z51 or my 2009 C6 ZO6. Listened to music and audio books all the way back from Bowling Green without any problems. In Texas, had some very noisy I-10 road stretches, but it wasn't THAT bad.
Hey, I know you, don't I.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Sounds a lot like the 370Z forum. People complained about road noise (and how the tires were always throwing pebbles into the underside giving one a never-ending pelting till the tread word down a lot).

They tried spray on stuff on the underside to quieten (didn't work as well as most had hoped) and dynomat (sp?) which was a tad expensive and still left them wanting. Then, of course, people lamented the extra weight all their efforts added.

I just learned to live with it.
I was considering a 370Z until I heard about and experienced the road noise. Much worse than any Vette.

I've owned three Corvettes: C4, C5 and now, C6. Each successive generation got quieter, but 'howled' on concrete roads. I'm assuming the C7 is no different. To make us all feel better, I had a ride in a $150K+ Audi R8 V-10 coupe. Guess what, it howled on concrete roads, too.

Scottie: "Captain Kirk, I cannot change the laws of physics!"
Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by jcchevy
... the major change came when I replaced the Run Flats with the Michelin PSS. My wife noticed the change immediately (helped justify the price of the tires). The older the Run Flats, the harder they become and the more noise they make. The car handles great with the PSS and is much quieter, and much smoother. We have made a 3000 and 2000 mile road trip (since the tire change) and the car was a pleasure to drive. There is still a significant noise difference between the asphalt and concrete.

Exact same experience with our C5 Vert. Replaced run flats with Michelin PSS non run flats. Handling, noise and ride improved dramatically. Would never consider putting run flats on any sports car until they have major RF tech breakthroughs.

Also up sized to 19" 305's & 18" 275's with the PSS.

Electric pump, can of goo, repair kit, and AAA 100 mile tow service more than offset any worries about flats.

On some of the IE concrete freeways, even our Lexus makes way to much noise. Noise is simply the nature of some of our SoCal freeways ...

If your C7 makes excessive noise on the asphalt sections of the freeways or on surface streets, then something may indeed be wrong. Even your run flats should not be a noise problem on asphalt.

Last edited by B747VET; 12-09-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Just to add the obvious yet sometimes overlooked... the trunk here in the C7 coupe is not a separate cavity. Unlike of course the convertible with a real bulkhead versus the coupe’s open hatchback area... translates to more road noise in the coupe. No complaints for me since it's supposed to be a sports car to excite your senses, not a library.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM
CorvetteJimZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"Corvette have alway been noisey, no matter how good a radio,"

Agree with this 100%. I've owned every generation of Corvette and have not owned a C7 yet, but I got a long ride in a C7 at Carlisle and in my opinion it's one of the quietest Corvettes ever when it comes to tire noise. If you want to hear tire noise ride in a stock C5 Z06 or C4 ZR1. This is not a BMW M5, it's a Corvette, and personally after 44 years of owning Corvettes, the tire and engine noise are music to my ears.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Please keep us posted on this as you progress with you car. Iam very interested as Iam going to guess that you are a little older like me and the noise is something you just were not "expecting" as its your first Vette. I have had many sports cars over the last 30 years and I guess Iam somewhat use to it. Thats why I only drive my sports cars on weekends and not a daily driver. Keep in touch.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have more noise because the interior floor boards are no longer thick soundproof balsa wood. They are now just composite re enforced plastic. Here is where the problem lies. You now have a giant plastic drum skin under the car. You might want to try having sound deadening material applied to the underside floor pans.

Last edited by Red Lightening; 12-09-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I guess it is a matter of personal taste. My C7 is much quieter in the front and a little quieter in the rear than my C6. I have a Z51. And, I do not expect or want a luxury sedan ride.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

What a bunch of sissies! Probably it's also due to concrete and poorly blacktop roads and tire noise. If you can hear a pebble hit the wheel well maybe you need to turn down the volumn in your hearing aid!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Lightening
You have more noise because the interior floor boards are no longer thick soundproof balsa wood. They are now just composite re enforced plastic. Here is where the problem lies. You now have a giant plastic drum skin under the car.
Thick? Soundproof?

Yeah, that's it. A giant plastic drum...yup.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Red Lightening
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Thick? Soundproof?

Yup balsa has wonderful sound proofing qualities because of its cellular structure.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Try this simple noise reduction solution, order the C7 partition and then add some rubber material to the hatch area [thickness of the old mouse pads], then add a cargo mat on top of the rubber pad. This really worked for me in my previous 2008 coupe.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Red Lightening
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Thick? Soundproof?

Take a quick read and learn something.
http://www.santellilumber.com/pdf/balsa.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Man this car is noisy on the freeway, so much road noise

Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 AM
rsl2715
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

True unless you have a smooth road,the run flats just make noise.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
jb306y
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To tell you the truth, I traded in a 2012 CTS4 Premium and my base C7 has about the same amount of road noise. Both cars, the noise was coming from the back area. Overall, I think the C7 is pretty quiet.

But again, I didn't buy it to be quiet or I would have kept the Caddy.

Jim
Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Lightening
Take a quick read and learn something.
http://www.santellilumber.com/pdf/balsa.pdf
I've been in on a whole lot of construction, including sound studios, and I've never seen anyone using balsa wood in any soundproofing situations. As to it's use in the Corvette, it was simply a cheap, lightweight structure and if they thought it was better for the C7, they would have used it.

The point is that we have ONE guy who has really complained about noise, and he has never owned a Corvette before. Anyone I have heard compare the C7's quietness with the C6's has said it is definitely quieter, not louder.

Quick Reply: Man this car is noisy on the freeway, so much road noise