Sponsored by:

One week, 1900 miles - I LOVE IT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:18 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default One week, 1900 miles - I LOVE IT!

I picked up my Z51 at the Museum on Monday and drove it home to PHX, leaving Monday at noon and getting home Wednesday at noon.

I put on 1,740 miles, including a self-imposed break-in period where I changed speeds and gears regularly to allow the rings and valves to seat. After that I drove between 80 and 85 mph. Weather was very cold (ranging from 35 to -3), but I only ran into rain around Little Rock, AZ. There was ice on the shoulders and the streets, but the Interstates were clear and - for the most part - dry.

This is my fifth Museum Delivery since September 2001, so I'm used to the drive. All that said . . . I LOVE THIS CAR. While the C6 was a minor improvement over the C5, this is a totally new car. The only thing that was familiar about the vehicle was the door latches, the HUD, the over the hood view and the clutch / transmission. The 7 speed feels very much like the 6 speed. But I feel like an idiot - I keep trying to back up by putting it in 7th. IT DOESN'T WORK.

What do I LOVE about the C7. A whole lot, primarily:

1. The TIGHTNESS. It goes over bumps more like an MB or Range Rover than a Corvette. No body flex, squeaks or rattles. For the first time in over 40 years, I don't feel like I have to slow down for railroad tracks.
2. The instrument panel. You have so many choices, and you can customize the gauges and information to your personal needs.
3. The driving mode control. You can drive in TOUR around town to reduce ride harshness, to ECON on the freeway to take advantage of the better fuel economy from cylinder deactivation, etc. Plus, I strongly prefer the steering quickness & precision in the SPORT mode, so I specify it under all conditions. Similarly, I can lock the NPP exhaust on the open position at all times, to enjoy the sound of the engine.
4. I was concerned about visibility with the small third quarter windows, but they are adequate if you use them in conjunction with the mirrors.
5. Driving in unfamiliar areas, it's easy to miss a speed limit sign. But with NAV, there's a toggle on the IP that allows me to scroll down to a SPEED LIMIT SIGN. You can also check tire pressures and more things than you'll ever care about. And you can customize all of these features to your own personal needs and driving priorities.

IN SUM, IT'S AN AMAZING VEHICLE. Tadge and his team have done something incredible - especially when you consider that they did it while GM was IN BANKRUPtCY and there were doubts that another generation would even be built. If ever there were evidence that racing improves the breed, it's this car!

If you're on the fence - GO FOR IT. It's an awesome car, built by a great crew in the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Attached Images      

Last edited by loyalsince72; 12-15-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: respacing
Old 12-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

nice write up - thanks - how did you find the defroster?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Awesome and congrats
Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Awesome and congrats

But then... Pictures please

Edit: I see pictures are posted now. Thank you.

Last edited by bimmerborn; 12-16-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Pictures posted
Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I hope to be doing the same heading to Vegas in Feb. Hope it doesn't snow!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome write up, thanks. Did this replace a C6 ? If so, what model?

Thanks,
Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by loyalsince72
I picked up my Z51 at the Museum on Monday and drove it home to PHX, leaving Monday at noon and getting home Wednesday at noon.

I put on 1,740 miles, including a self-imposed break-in period where I changed speeds and gears regularly to allow the rings and valves to seat. After that I drove between 80 and 85 mph. Weather was very cold (ranging from 35 to -3), but I only ran into rain around Little Rock, AZ. There was ice on the shoulders and the streets, but the Interstates were clear and - for the most part - dry.

This is my fifth Museum Delivery since September 2001, so I'm used to the drive. All that said . . . I LOVE THIS CAR. While the C6 was a minor improvement over the C5, this is a totally new car. The only thing that was familiar about the vehicle was the door latches, the HUD, the over the hood view and the clutch / transmission. The 7 speed feels very much like the 6 speed. But I feel like an idiot - I keep trying to back up by putting it in 7th. IT DOESN'T WORK.

What do I LOVE about the C7. A whole lot, primarily:

1. The TIGHTNESS. It goes over bumps more like an MB or Range Rover than a Corvette. No body flex, squeaks or rattles. For the first time in over 40 years, I don't feel like I have to slow down for railroad tracks.
2. The instrument panel. You have so many choices, and you can customize the gauges and information to your personal needs.
3. The driving mode control. You can drive in TOUR around town to reduce ride harshness, to ECON on the freeway to take advantage of the better fuel economy from cylinder deactivation, etc. Plus, I strongly prefer the steering quickness & precision in the SPORT mode, so I specify it under all conditions. Similarly, I can lock the NPP exhaust on the open position at all times, to enjoy the sound of the engine.
4. I was concerned about visibility with the small third quarter windows, but they are adequate if you use them in conjunction with the mirrors.
5. Driving in unfamiliar areas, it's easy to miss a speed limit sign. But with NAV, there's a toggle on the IP that allows me to scroll down to a SPEED LIMIT SIGN. You can also check tire pressures and more things than you'll ever care about. And you can customize all of these features to your own personal needs and driving priorities.

IN SUM, IT'S AN AMAZING VEHICLE. Tadge and his team have done something incredible - especially when you consider that they did it while GM was IN BANKRUPtCY and there were doubts that another generation would even be built. If ever there were evidence that racing improves the breed, it's this car!

If you're on the fence - GO FOR IT. It's an awesome car, built by a great crew in the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Nice write up. Do you have MRC?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:13 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
nice write up - thanks - how did you find the defroster?
Seemed fine, though I really didn't use it much.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:14 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
Awesome write up, thanks. Did this replace a C6 ? If so, what model?

Thanks,
I had three C6s: an 05, on 07 and an 08.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red2012
Nice write up. Do you have MRC?
Yes. I think it's a big part of the ride quality - but I haven't ridden in one without.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Picked mine up from the museum on Wed and drove it the same route back to Maricopa. 1,808 miles of smiles!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice write up.

How well did the heating work? Mine is very erratic, and I'm wondering if adjustments have been made to the software.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by -CM-
Nice write up.

How well did the heating work? Mine is very erratic, and I'm wondering if adjustments have been made to the software.
I noticed that, with the a/c off, there was a point where the system went from fresh air to heat, and that point varied with outside temperature. I started out in the 30s and that point was around 70. As it got colder outside, that point dropped - to 64 degrees when the outside air was in the mid-20s. Kind of puzzled me, but maybe I should have left the auto temp control on.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ

Picked mine up from the museum on Wed and drove it the same route back to Maricopa. 1,808 miles of smiles!

Tuesday was the first day of convertible deliveries, and 7 of the 8 cars delivered were converts.

I was disappointed with the fuel economy, but I think it had something to do with the outside temperature. Outside temps ranged from 35 to -3 (in Rio Muerto, NM), and I averaged 24.2 with the cylinder deactivation shut off. I got 26.3 coming back in my 08 with the 6A trans, and 27.6 in my 07 with the six speed manual.

Yet, once I got down into the valley and temperatures hit the 60s, my mileage significantly improved. I saw 40 mpg on the instant and my "best 50 miles" jumped from 26.8 to 32.2
Old 12-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up!

Get notified of new replies

To One week, 1900 miles - I LOVE IT!

Quick Reply: One week, 1900 miles - I LOVE IT!