Sponsored by:

C7 best corvette to date there is in not a close 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
You make some valid points, with no C6 there wouldn’t be a C7, I agree but looks are not what stopped previous Euro buyers from going with the C6. Personally I liked the looks of the C6 and the targa top look was a huge plus over say a 911. What stopped me was the feel and ride quality. The one improvement you missed was the steering feel. I couldn’t get over the old steering feel and overall Chevy road feel. Sure the numbers looked good but it’s not about numbers anymore when you reach sub 4 0-60s and 1+ gs. The entire package needs to feel right and it felt more like a muscle car. It didn’t feel nimble and connected to the road like the competition did. This is where the 7 improved, steering feel, nimbleness and overall connected to the road feel. GM said it themselves a Porsche 911 was always on hand during the C7 development. Maybe we're splitting hairs and steering feel may not be that important but for me it made the difference.

I absolutely agree the steering is much better on the C7 than the C6 . . . and it should be - the C6 is almost 10 years old now. But I think its kind of hard to call any Corvette nimble - they are pretty big sports cars. I've always thought it a bit unreasonable to compare a front engined Vette to the rear engined 911, which costs twice as much, even though everyone does it.

Personally, I am not fond of the 911 although its a great car. I've had 2. Overpriced for sure. I think a main reason many Euro buyers would never buy a Corvette before is the perceived lack of status. But that may be changing with the C7.

I find it funny that the horrible handling characteristics of earlier 911's are considered part of the cars "character" but the muscle car feel of the earlier Vettes is just "unrefined". I liked my one Boxster much more than my 911s, but it leaked oil every day I owned it so it had to go. I also like to see the whole engine when I lift the hood (I mean trunk).

Every car has its plusses and minuses. Very few do everything well for a fair price. Some of my favorite cars, with great steering, brakes and clutches were small engined Hondas and Acuras. And they were cheap and pretty much unbreakable.

But as I've gotten older I've grown to like the immediate torque of a V8 over a smaller high revving motor, and was willing to "settle" on some other systems (like some steering feel or interior) to get the V8. So now I have a '13 GS coupe, which to my eyes is one of the most beautiful cars I've ever owned and I love driving. But I'm watching the C7.

Perhaps, with the C7, the Corvette finally has it all - power, handling, braking, steering and interior refinement . . . but thanks in some part to the C6

Last edited by csf; 12-16-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
I admire your humility, as well as your diplomacy.
My two best traits. Thanks for the adoration. You can wash my feet now if you so desire.

(Sarcasm)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrubicon
the c7 z51 m7 that I recently purchased is light years ahead of all previous corvette generations.
That's a bold statement to make. How many light years are we talking about? 1 light year equals 5,878,625,373,200 miles. You really think your C7 is actually that more advanced than my C6 Z06 or a C6 ZR1? I sat in one last Saturday. It is awesome looking, but I am not giving up my Z06 for a C7 just yet. I will wait one more year for the new C7 Z06. That will put your C7 light years behind mine.
Actually, I am just screwing around. I love all generations of Corvettes. We are all Corvette guys, yet some of us just have to say "My Corvette is better than your Corvette".
Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jrubicon
I am surprised seeing some of the negative comments on this forum.I have been fortunate to own numerous corvettes including 2 c6z06s and a c6 convertible. the c7 z51 m7 that I recently purchased is light years ahead of all previous corvette generations. I highly recommend anyone drive one before making any decisions about the car. the overall torgue, ride, handling,smoothness,easy to drive as DD, easy to drive fast. I enjoy this car more than all previous corvettes, Shelby gt500s, porsche 911s,BMW m3s,and vipers I have owned. I challenge anyone who is own the fence or criticizing this c7 to go drive one. Sorry for the rant, sometimes I have a hard time believing this is really a 'corvette' forum.
A lot of the haters don't even own corvettes…..

They just mope around and complain in general….

I never worry about what other people think…..

Especially if it's on my dime….

The C7 is indeed the finest Corvette ever designed……

Last edited by Dave1; 12-16-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why the steering on the C6 is so light and overboosted. That's a real negative.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
I absolutely agree the steering is much better on the C7 than the C6 . . . and it should be - the C6 is almost 10 years old now. But I think its kind of hard to call any Corvette nimble - they are pretty big sports cars. I've always thought it a bit unreasonable to compare a front engined Vette to the rear engined 911, which costs twice as much, even though everyone does it.

Personally, I am not fond of the 911 although its a great car. I've had 2. Overpriced for sure. I think a main reason many Euro buyers would never buy a Corvette before is the perceived lack of status. But that may be changing with the C7.

I find it funny that the horrible handling characteristics of earlier 911's are considered part of the cars "character" but the muscle car feel of the earlier Vettes is just "unrefined". I liked my one Boxster much more than my 911s, but it leaked oil every day I owned it so it had to go. I also like to see the whole engine when I lift the hood (I mean trunk).

Every car has its plusses and minuses. Very few do everything well for a fair price. Some of my favorite cars, with great steering, brakes and clutches were small engined Hondas and Acuras. And they were cheap and pretty much unbreakable.

But as I've gotten older I've grown to like the immediate torque of a V8 over a smaller high revving motor, and was willing to "settle" on some other systems (like some steering feel or interior) to get the V8. So now I have a '13 GS coupe, which to my eyes is one of the most beautiful cars I've ever owned and I love driving. But I'm watching the C7.

Perhaps, with the C7, the Corvette finally has it all - power, handling, braking, steering and interior refinement . . . but thanks in some part to the C6
Well said.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by csf
but thanks in some part to the C6
and the C5, 4, 3, 2 and 1......the Corvettes through the generations are improvements on themselves, without one you couldn't have the other. So the C7 owes a lot to the C6 as does the C6 to the C5 and so on.

Quick Reply: C7 best corvette to date there is in not a close 2nd