Sponsored by:

Shipping Cover Back On--Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Wise1919
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Cover Back On--Pics

Our cover that we ordered was on backorder and we didn't want to leave it uncovered so we did the next best thing... Put the shipping cover back on!

It actually wasn't that bad getting it back on, just had to figure out how it all attached.

I owe Rick Conti a lot of that credit. I watched his video a couple of times of him taking a cover off knowing I might not get our real cover in time. Thanks for that video Rick!

I wouldn't want to do it all of the time because it does take some time getting it on. But if you are in a pinch like we were, you can get it back on. We did museum delivery and they did a good job of taking it off. It only had one small tear at the corner of the windshield which we put a piece of ducktape on.

We reused the tape that comes attached on the cover around the windshield. Worked great!
Attached Images       
Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

GM should have added a clear plastic windshield to the cover to make re-use easier and for outside storage. Of course the permanent solution is to get a good cover.

My C5 cover fits better on my Stingray than it did on my C6.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Why?? Can’t go out into the garage and admire your new acquisition when it’s covered up like that. Don
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I would have not put it on...microscopically, it is embedded with dirt and the micro scratches will diminish gloss....I'd dawn wash and apply Collinite 845 - the greatest winter sealant made....
Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry but that is one ugly cover, aftermarket ones look a lot better and they are easier to put on
Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Wise1919
Intermediate

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Why?? Can’t go out into the garage and admire your new acquisition when it’s covered up like that. Don
We won't be using it for a little while and didn't want it sitting uncovered. Also didn't want people walking up to it constantly looking at it.
Tons of pollen and stuff off of the trees around where its at.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I would have not put it on...microscopically, it is embedded with dirt and the micro scratches will diminish gloss....I'd dawn wash and apply Collinite 845 - the greatest winter sealant made....
Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 AM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are planning on putting the car away for the winter why not just throw some cotton sheets over the car as long as it's in the garage. I am very fussy about the care of my car but you can't get that **** and worry about micro scratches which you won't get with any cotton material just laying on the car.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Wise1919
Intermediate

I defititely agree if the car was transported for miles and miles. Ours was taken 1/4 mile across the street to the museum. I looked the cover over very well before I put it on. It was as clean as could be. I know you can't see very small particles but I think it was as clean as when it was first put on. We really wanted it covered more so people don't walk up to our car port to look at it and scratch it all up with their buckles and so forth. As everyone know this car gets ridiculous attention!!

By the way Glen, I respect your expertise greatly! I emailed you a while back for the document you made about waxing the car. Could you please send it to me. If you don't have my email, I can send it again. Thanks buddy!!
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by shaan
Sorry but that is one ugly cover, aftermarket ones look a lot better and they are easier to put on
I think he said that they ordered an aftermarket cover but it is on back order.

When I picked up my car at the museum, the same day as Wise, I had a small dilemma, the rolled up cover in a pastic bag was taking up so much room in the trunk, that either a suitcase or the cover had to go. Since I never planned to use it again, it was a no brainer for me.

Justin, I am glad it worked out for you. At least you have something to put on the car until you and your Dad get back down to Florida with the aftermarket cover!
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Cool
Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Wise1919
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StevieK
Unless you are planning on putting the car away for the winter why not just throw some cotton sheets over the car as long as it's in the garage. I am very fussy about the care of my car but you can't get that **** and worry about micro scratches which you won't get with any cotton material just laying on the car.
It's under a car port so the wind would make that difficult. We had a cotton cover with us, but it didn't fit worth a darn and was too hard to tie it up. We were worried about it flapping too much. I knew the shipping cover fit tight and wouldn't flap at all. That definitely would have been the way to go if it was in a garage though!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Wise1919
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rich427
I think he said that they ordered an aftermarket cover but it is on back order.

When I picked up my car at the museum, the same day as Wise, I had a small dilemma, the rolled up cover in a pastic bag was taking up so much room in the trunk, that either a suitcase or the cover had to go. Since I never planned to use it again, it was a no brainer for me.

Justin, I am glad it worked out for you. At least you have something to put on the car until you and your Dad get back down to Florida with the aftermarket cover!
Thanks Rich!! I hope we get a chance to meet back up with you guys when I get back down in February. My dad will be coming back down in January. Take care bud!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Wise1919
Thanks Rich!! I hope we get a chance to meet back up with you guys when I get back down in February. My dad will be coming back down in January. Take care bud!
Let us know when you are coming down and maybe we can meet half way between for lunch. Or if you want to drive a little more than half, a nice place to meet and look at cars is the Muscle Car City Museum in Punta Gorda. Just a thought.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Wise1919;

By the way Glen, I respect your expertise greatly! I emailed you a while back for the document you made about waxing the car. Could you please send it to me. If you don't have my email, I can send it again. Thanks buddy!!

Sure!... PM me your email address...I get about 4 people a day and apologize for missing you....
Old 12-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Wise1919
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rich427
Let us know when you are coming down and maybe we can meet half way between for lunch. Or if you want to drive a little more than half, a nice place to meet and look at cars is the Muscle Car City Museum in Punta Gorda. Just a thought.
Sounds good buddy!! I'll get in touch when I get back down. Can't wait to drive that thing again!!! Normally I hate hitting red lights, but I was slowing down on purpose hoping it would turn red!!! Love going through those gears!!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Wise1919
Intermediate

Sure!... PM me your email address...I get about 4 people a day and apologize for missing you....
PM sent.

No worries!!

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping Cover Back On--Pics

Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My dealer can do what ever with the shipping cover. My car will never see a cover as long as I own it. I always have the car garaged, I am planning on the 2014 caravan to the Museum, a few nights uncovered want hurt it. I am not planning on a cleaning car vacation either (did that once), I will clean it up when I get home.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Wise1919
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry/car
My dealer can do what ever with the shipping cover. My car will never see a cover as long as I own it. I always have the car garaged, I am planning on the 2014 caravan to the Museum, a few nights uncovered want hurt it. I am not planning on a cleaning car vacation either (did that once), I will clean it up when I get home.
Have a great time on your trip!! We will get the car back in PA in the spring and then it will be in a garage and won't see much of a cover until winter. I agree with you, enjoy your vacation and give her a bath when you get home!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:13 PM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default yes true covers dirty

My dealer asked me last week if I wanted it I said no, he then agreed they are filthy. I think good for transport like Audi, or collectible like the sticker but I don't think its for use as a "cover" long term. Drive Safe
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Shipping Cover Back On--Pics