Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 PM
bfppt1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z51 or Coupe? Or make a Coupe like a Z51

Hello,

I have found that looking at all the different packages, options, and other items is fairly exhausting when trying to order a Stingray.

I was wondering if anyone has done an analysis of what one gets with the Z51 that cannot be "created" by ordering the right options on a Coupe. I realize that the "track stuff" won't be doable, and I don't think I'd go for the spoiler, but regarding horsepower, electronics (inside), color (don't think you can get black wheels without a Z51, perhaps there's a cheat sheet to create a very nice Coupe without the Z51.

The reason is apparently the Z51 is highly constrained with no available lead time. The Coupe, apparently, can be obtained in eight weeks.

Thanks to whoever answers this.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have a base car that I added 19/20 z51 sized wheels and tires for $2400, and then a wing (open blade) spoiler, and have a car that personally, I think looks better than a Z51. ...I did not order a z51 (I could have) as I did not care for the hard ride or the track stuff I'd never use.

Last edited by Glen e; 12-27-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by bfppt1
The reason is apparently the Z51 is highly constrained with no available lead time. The Coupe, apparently, can be obtained in eight weeks.
You're dealing with wrong information here.

If you order through a dealer that has Z51 allocations (and many do), there is no problem in getting your Z51 built as long as there are no other constrained items involved.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Things you can't add to a base to make it a Z51 (cost being the prohibiting factor):

Shorter gear ratio transmission
Electronic Limited Slip Differential
Larger brakes/slotted rotors
Dry-sump oil system
Magnetic Ride

Things you can add:
Wheels/tires
Rear sway bar
Spoiler
Stiffer suspension (springs or coil-overs)
Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
Things you can't add to a base to make it a Z51 (cost being the prohibiting factor):

Shorter gear ratio transmission
Electronic Limited Slip Differential
Larger brakes/slotted rotors
Dry-sump oil system
Magnetic Ride

Things you can add:
Wheels/tires
Rear sway bar
Spoiler
Stiffer suspension (springs or coil-overs)
And to add even a set of forged wheels would be as much or more than the Z51 option. If you added something else... like brakes... it would be WAY more than the Z51 package. IMO, that's what makes the Z51 a good value (note I didn't say the OP should get Z51, just that it is a good value for what it includes ).
Old 12-27-2013, 04:27 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have a base car that I added 19/20 z51 sized wheels and tires for $2400, and then a wing (open blade) spoiler, and have a car that personally, I think looks better than a Z51. ...I did not order a z51 (I could have) as I did not care for the hard ride or the track stuff I'd never use.
You have a Beautiful Car! For me, I would never race my car so a non-Z51 would be just fine. Now after seeing yours I pretty sure a Base 2Lt will do me just fine. If I need speed I'll drive my 427 Anniv. Vert.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Glen - cool - did not know you installed a spoiler. I thought you were against the drilling of holes? It looks great. I like that style of spoiler a little more than the Z51 spoiler that I have as you can see the back roof body lines better from the rear.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bmbarney
Glen - cool - did not know you installed a spoiler. I thought you were against the drilling of holes? It looks great. I like that style of spoiler a little more than the Z51 spoiler that I have as you can see the back roof body lines better from the rear.
less holes...I did not want to drill 9 holes and have it block the shoulders - this one does not - see my build thread for a pic by pic install...
Old 12-27-2013, 04:39 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Magnetic ride adjusts suspension as you cycle through Tour, Sport and Track. Just makes the car seem more sophisticated and more fun.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:41 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

While I would have liked the Z51 package, the car was for my wife, and she didn't care about the package, but just wanted her car. So we went with a 3LT convertible with no Z51 or MRC.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

I had a full menu in front of me when I ordered, cost was no object, Conti was ready to give me a 2000 order accepted with any any options in early September.

I have ordered all the options before on BMW's and other cars, and I found myself thinking back to how I used those options. As like FDX's wife, I really did not need any of those, for my intended purpose to get groceries, take the occaisual road trip and drive 90% around town. I've done my track stuff and have been to Bondurant and Barber and crewed the Nelson Ledges 24 hour for Porsche in the early 80's. But no more.

So I looked at the options and ruled out the z51 package....I wanted a nice ride and since I'd have to spend anther 2g's for MAG to calm it down for the highway with z 51, it seemed insane to get both when I needed neither. I knew the mag would be I'd dial it up and down a few times and then set it where I wanted and forget it. I know me pretty well...LOL

And then there's the NPP...I knew when I ordered it I'd play with it for a few weeks, roar around town and then move it to touring and get quiet so I could hear a few fav's on the strreo. I was right, if I had to do it again, I would dump that and find a way to put on the 4 inch tips. Another forum myth, the non NPP sounds FINE.

We all are different....just my buying logic. I knew I was going with tires and wheels as I like the vette with a cross web look, not spokes, and fleshed out the spoiler, I like the bare look too...

The z51 mystique has really gotten out of cotrol. it's a great buy, it's needed for the track but this forum has exulted it to a level that if you don't have it, you don't have a corvette...only here on the forum is that true...

Last edited by Glen e; 12-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:03 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Glen e
I had a full menu in front of me when I ordered, cost was no object, Conti was ready to give me a 2000 order accepted with any any options in early September.

I have ordered all the options before on BMW's and other cars, and I found myself thinking back to how I used those options. As like FDX's wife, I really did not need any of those, for my intended purpose to get groceries, take the occaisual road trip and drive 90% around town. I've done my track stuff and have been to Bondurant and Barber and crewed the Nelson Ledges 24 hour for Porsche in the early 80's. But no more.

So I looked at the options and ruled out the z51 package....I wanted a nice ride and since I'd have to spend anther 2g's to calm it down for the highway with z 51, it seemed insane to get both when I needed neither. I knew the mag would be I'd dial it up and down a few times and then set it where I wanted and forget it. I know me pretty well...LOL

And then there's the NPP...I knew when I ordered it I'd play with it for a few weeks, roar around town and then move it to touring and get quiet so I could hear a few fav's on the strreo. I was right, if I had to do it again, I would dump that and find a way to put on the 4 inch tips. Another forum myth, the non NPP sounds FINE.

We all are different....just my buying logic. I knew I was going with tires and wheels as I like the vette with a cross web look, not spokes, and fleshed out the spoiler, I like the bare look too...

The z51 mystique has really gotten out of cotrol. it's a great buy, it's needed for the track but this forum has exulted it to a level that if you don't have it, you don't have a corvette...only here on the forum is that true...
It's gotten out of hand...Z51 is the only true Corvette...BS
Old 12-27-2013, 05:07 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

No use for Z51, NPP, Napa, suede, HUD, NAV, etc.
1LT ordered - ZERO options.
STOCK WHEELS SUCK

Last edited by C8Jake; 12-28-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Agreed - out of hand. Good stuff (Z51) if its something that you want (not need most of the time). For many its just a perception as they will NEVER need it. Yes its a good deal, I agree to that if and only its something you are going to use. Resale and all is so much crap. I have never bought a car concerned about resale. People need to do what they feel is best and make up your own decision, but to say a Z51 is a must to me is BS.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

GM Windsor - TSW?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmbarney
gmwindsor - TSW?
$1050 shipped

Last edited by C8Jake; 12-27-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:31 PM
RichmondC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm Very happy with my coupe and its looks

Last edited by RichmondC7; 01-05-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or Coupe? Or make a Coupe like a Z51

Old 12-27-2013, 05:43 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a base suspension on my C6 and hated the handling. I vowed that my next vette will have the best handling package available. And as far as the harsh ride goes, I fixed that up with mag ride

Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by shaan
I had a base suspension on my C6 and hated the handling. I vowed that my next vette will have the best handling package available. And as far as the harsh ride goes, I fixed that up with mag ride
I also prefer a firmer and better handling ride even for around town. When I owned my M3, I always had the suspension on sport (well, almost always) because I liked the responsiveness, lack of roll and feel.

Not everyone will have the same desire/need which is why the choice of base or Z51 is perfect.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:45 PM
bfppt1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great posts!

I see many different base models with very nice wheels and other options, e.g., spoiler.

Looking through the downloadable catalog is not the easiest thing in the world.

Any advice on how to find a site (corvette from gm?) that shows what you get with each model, 1LT, etc., which wheels are available, and what the differences are between a carbon fiber roof vs. the clear roof?

This is not like ordering a C6 :-) seemed easier on that one.

Thank you again.

Quick Reply: Z51 or Coupe? Or make a Coupe like a Z51