C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 AM
ZROne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I don't know where you live but unless it is Alaska the tires will not crack. GM would have warning stickers all over the place if this was the case. The real reason the dealer won't let you drive it is because it can be a handful in cold weather because the tires are made for summer driving.
I had the same problem with two dealers in Seattle. I think it's like shopping for diamonds at WalMart, its so expensive compared to anything else they sell that they "protect" them from their deadbeat customers. Wouldn't even let me sit in them, lol. Too bad Tesla doesn't sell Corvettes.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,237 Likes on 13,936 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Glen e
because when you drive it home it will be on your insurance and you can wreck it all you want...test drives are on the dealers insurance and the Ind carrier has the ability to turmn down the claim if the weather is not right.....meaning tires should not be driven then...

relax...buy something else if that pisses you off...
I agree. Can't say I blame the dealer for being cautious on allowing test drives in cold weather on the factory summer tires.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

One the positive side - if you do buy w/o driving, or are forced into buying a car before you drive it, you have an easy return policy by law. You tell them you don't like it, and ask for a full refund. There's no way you have to keep a car you didn't drive before buying.
Pretty much, once the deal is signed, payment made, and delivery completed, it's yours. The idea that you have a certain time period to return it is just a myth. If your State has a lemon law, and you have problems with the car that fit the LL criteria, they may have to buy it back. Changing your mind after the sale is completed? I'd like to read that Law. If you decide to buy a car after the dealer has said, "no test drives", that is your decision to accept a condition of the sale. Again, there is no law you can invoke to force a buy back. Unless the dealer had a gun to your head, it was part of the agreement.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I think thou douth protest too much.

You told the dealer you would not buy without driving and he said he would not let anyone drive in that weather.

You walked, he lost the sale. He felt it was not worth the risk to get the sale.

What's the big deal? Wait for a nicer day or just go elsewhere.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the dealer rather being safe than sorry. Why would anyone argue otherwise? To them, once you've bought the car, you could go flying off a cliff with it for all they care. But in the mean time, if you go test drive it and you spin out and crash, it's on them. Not you.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

A lot of dealers aren't even allowing test drives in warm weather states. Did the dealer have inventory or were you going to order a car? If I were you, I would have looked then car over thoroughly and made an appointment for a test drive when the temperature improved. Or, you could just walk away.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 01-19-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 AM
pgway
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric Michael Stepp
I went to a dealer today, wanting to trade in my C5 for a new C7. (same dealer that I bought the C5 from) I will not buy a car without test driving it so when I asked if I could I was told that if it is not 45 degrees outside that no one can drive them. (it was 30) This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Not if you drove the C7 with reduced traction due to the temperature!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Blue Lagoon
Instructor

Default Test Drive?

I bet many forum members bought without a test drive.

Hell I bought mine sight unseen, and I'm sure many others here did the same.

See, it's a sellers market at the moment. Buy it, or don't. They will sell it, and in the mean time have a display which is what a halo car is all about.

I'm also pretty sure it was not personal. I know as an owner now, I have had to refuse multiple requests to drive it, because (insert reason here).
Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

No need to get this bothered ... I'd just either walk away and not buy the car or go to another dealer. This has nothing to do with GM and everything to do with the dealer you saw. Given the current demand for the car, I would be surprised if you can easily find any dealer that would allow a test drive. They can sell the cars regardless so why would they bother taking any risk?

Where I live, it wouldn't be possible to take a test drive... and that didn't stop me from buying one. It may stop you and that's OK but unless you are prepared to wait you may need to make a "buy" or "walk" decision without driving the car.

Last edited by gthal; 01-19-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 478 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by gthal
No need to get this bothered ... I'd just either walk away and not buy the car or go to another dealer. This has nothing to do with GM and everything to do with the dealer you saw. Given the current demand for the car, I would be surprised if you can easily find any dealer that would allow a test drive. They can sell the cars regardless so why would they bother taking any risk?
and then at this point thay are probably glad he left because they know he's gonna burn them on the survey after they deliver you...better to have oyu get indignant at another dealer - not right or wrong, but the way it is, when every bad survey can cost the dealer thousands in bonus monies...
Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Kilsallagh
Advanced

When I took a test drive it was sub-40 degrees but the dealer kept the car in the showroom, next to the doors to enter/exit showroom. Tire temps were fine, fired it up, backed it out and off we went. When we were done, back in the showroom it went. I went back a few days later and placed my order. Other dealers wouldn't let me test drive one so I went with the guys who did.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Wait till its 45 degrees
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

No, I was just wondering if anyone else thought that it was bad business to not sell a car because of a test drive.
I think you will find that somewhere north of 75% of Corvette C7 purchases were made without a test drive.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

How many people here would want to buy a new C7 that has been test driven by a few dozen people of varying skills and respect for others' property??? Smart dealers avoid allowing cars like the C7 from being test driven unless they perceive the probability of an immediate sale is very high.

A secondary reason is it is easy for someone not used to the C7 to get into trouble and using summer spec tires in winter makes it that much worse. Just like you wouldn't let a highly experienced commercial airline pilot take his first fighter jet flight into a brewing hurricane.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Even at 45 degrees, there is some loss of grip. Believe me, this car doesn't need a test drive but I understand where you are coming from. The loss of grip in the colder temps is made up in the warmer temperatures. It's a great warm weather tire with great performance.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry OP, you aren't going to find any empathy on this forum. I made a similar, very vocal complaint on same topic recently, and found an amazing allegiance from this forum to the dealerships. Go figure.

Many folks here buy (and I did one such buy) without test driving. If you aren't completely comfortable doing that, DON'T! Take your money to a good dealership that'll treat you right, and let your money talk. There are dealerships out there that'll let you drive these cars - you just need to search them out. These cars aren't gems, they ARE cars. I think Corvette is the best thing since sliced bread, but I call BS on the attitude that they are above cars twice their price, that you can go in and test drive any ole day of the week.

The time is coming soon, where more dealerships will have to start letting folks drive them.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I'm certain they were blowing you off. Only they know the reason(s) why. Doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't buy from any dealer that would not let me test drive the exact type of car I was looking to buy…..
I seriously doubt if they are blowing him off. You have to remember that dealers have seen it all. When I traded one of my Corvettes in the dealer (who I know very well right up to the owner) called me a couple of weeks later and asked me if one of the wheels was cracked when I brought it in. I told them no, and they believed me but just had to check. Someone had test driven it and obviously put it into a curb.

There is NO question that Corvettes are dangerous to drive in cold weather for someone not experienced with them (or even someone who is). I frankly don't blame them. And let's not forget that there were probably several thousand customer orders for the C7 before production began so they know they can sell them now without the risk of a test drive like that.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Sorry OP, you aren't going to find any empathy on this forum. I made a similar, very vocal complaint on same topic recently, and found an amazing allegiance from this forum to the dealerships. Go figure.

Many folks here buy (and I did one such buy) without test driving. If you aren't completely comfortable doing that, DON'T! Take your money to a good dealership that'll treat you right, and let your money talk. There are dealerships out there that'll let you drive these cars - you just need to search them out. These cars aren't gems, they ARE cars. I think Corvette is the best thing since sliced bread, but I call BS on the attitude that they are above cars twice their price, that you can go in and test drive any ole day of the week.

The time is coming soon, where more dealerships will have to start letting folks drive them.
We are not supporting the dealer blindly, we are supporting them because we understand where they are coming from. I'd rather buy from a dealer who gives a sh*t than one who doesn't mind someone walking in off the street and driving the dog out of the car when the tires are a known danger in 45 and below temps. Sounds like the owner is a pretty smart guy to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 AM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove mine back from BG in what started out with 50's. By the time I got into Chicago it was 17.
I wasnt going to try to see where the tires break loose while driving it from BG, but a week later with the weather in the 30's I took it out for a spin. Without even giving it a real try, the tires easily broke loose and gave my back end a nice twist out which I promptly corrected with removing power and steering correction.
The point is- I dont blame the dealer in not letting you test a car in less than 50 degrees.
They are summer tires, the car comes from the factory like that and a dealer is very reticent to take a factor car and change out factory components. Sure, they can on a used car, but a factory car should be sold only with whatever is authorized by the factory.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Jeez take a valium or something. You make it sound like you were personally insulted -- or somehow privileged.

It's the dealer's choice when and where to give out test drives and to who. Don't take it personally.

It's just business.

No, I was just wondering if anyone else thought that it was bad business to not sell a car because of a test drive.
Nope, I think the dealer was smart due to
2014 Corvette Owner's Manual

Summer Tires
High Performance Summer Tires
This vehicle may come with P245/40ZR18 and P285/35ZR19, or P245/35ZR19 and P285/30ZR20 high performance summer tires. These tires have a special tread and
compound that are optimized for maximum dry and wet road performance. This special tread and compound will have decreased performance in cold climates, and
on ice and snow. We recommend installing winter tires on the vehicle if frequent driving at temperatures below approximately 5°C (40°F) or on ice or snow covered roads is
expected. See Winter Tires on page 10-44.
So his insurance could posibly deny a claim. That could put the dealership out a lot of money.

Also many posters on here have posted how easily the tires spin at less than 50 degrees. Most test drivers what to hit the gas to feel the power, really bad combination in this car on summer tires.
Originally Posted by Racerdj
Even at 45 degrees, there is some loss of grip. Believe me, this car doesn't need a test drive but I understand where you are coming from. The loss of grip in the colder temps is made up in the warmer temperatures. It's a great warm weather tire with great performance.

A guy locally has talked about how the tires break loose in sub 45 weather much easier than they did on his Z06

My feelings wait for a warm day. Dealer has no obligation to let yout test drive. Probably not bad for his business, as he will more than likely easily sell every 14 Stingray he gets.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

It was late November 2003 when I purchased my C5 and I did not ask for a test drive, I just knew I wanted it. Try as I might I cannot remember if I even sat in it, I don't think I did. Drove it the day I closed the purchase onto a open trailer and hauled it 150 miles to it new home in a blinding snowstorm. I would not have wanted to be driving the car, in fact I can say with certainty that I would not have made without incident and I consider myself a very competent driver. It was bad enough with it on the trailer.

My suggestion would be to simply wait for nicer weather then go and buy one from a dealer who you think deserves your business.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you really like your new C7.

Quick Reply: Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?