Best $2.49 interior mod ever (IMHO)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The steering wheel was from ApsisUSA.
Were all your yellow interior parts besides the steering wheel from ApsisUSA?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:45 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Who else has a Sebring Orange and has colored their interior stitching? What did you use? I have an orange sharpie. Is that okay?
Old 07-30-2018, 01:24 PM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Well, I did the interior stitching yesterday but used a regular orange Sharpie. The threads themselves look great, but you can see where the pen ran outside the thread. I did a few at a time and wiped with a microfiber cloth. The runoff onto the leather is not that noticeable, but since I know it's there I will always see it, ha-ha. Can anyone recommend something to remove this outline from the Sharpie? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 AM
Zimbatoo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there others with red seats who have done this? I want to make my black dash and doors stitching red accented, but it sounds weird to also make the stitching on the seats red? I've only seen like 2 posts with red seats, and the pictures don't really focus on the seats.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:06 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Originally Posted by PG County Boy
Well, I did the interior stitching yesterday but used a regular orange Sharpie. The threads themselves look great, but you can see where the pen ran outside the thread. I did a few at a time and wiped with a microfiber cloth. The runoff onto the leather is not that noticeable, but since I know it's there I will always see it, ha-ha. Can anyone recommend something to remove this outline from the Sharpie? Thanks.
I'll answer my own question since no one else did, ha-ha. The ink from the Sharpie that ran outside the threads onto the interior pieces and seats came off with an interior cleaner by Griot's. I would still like another fabric marker in that same shade as the regular Sharpie Orange, but with a better tip. The one on the Sharpie is a Fine Point, and I think applying to the threads would be easier with more of a square or chisel point.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ramair
Looks great, which pen / marker did you use!
I’m glad this thread is still alive (pun not intended) ...because I’m baffled why people are doing to their cars themselves... I agree with someone else here who said they would rather a professional do this sort of thing on the upholstery.

Given matching stitching is offered on new cars for a few$100, I guess this mod is for those getting used 1LT car without this option? Personally, i got it with my new car because it looked good matching yellow, but I wouldn’t take the risk on my 3lt or a 2lt or spend the time.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-04-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:41 AM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

I’m glad this thread is still alive (pun not intended) ...because I’m baffled why people are doing to their cars themselves... I agree with someone else here who said they would rather a professional do this sort of thing on the upholstery.

Given matching stitching is offered on new cars for a few$100, I guess this mod is for those getting used 1LT car without this option? Personally, i got it with my new car because it looked good matching yellow, but I wouldn’t take the risk on my 3lt or a 2lt or spend the time.

If you take your time and use the techniques that other forum members had provided its not that hard. I get compliments regularly on my Yellow stitching with many thinking it’s factory done!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

My '19 GS is 3LT but the stitching was white/grey. I decided to dye the threads to match my Sebring Orange exterior, and it was such an easy thing to do. As another poster stated, if you take your time you should have no problems and the results are great.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Grahambowski
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The colored stitching is only an option on the 3LT cars. I priced it out and to get colored stitching ends up costing an extra $7,000 vs a comparatively equipped 2LT. If all you want is colored thread it's not worth the extra $ IMO.
The following users liked this post:
PG County Boy (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by XPaClXix
The colored stitching is only an option on the 3LT cars. I priced it out and to get colored stitching ends up costing an extra $7,000 vs a comparatively equipped 2LT. If all you want is colored thread it's not worth the extra $ IMO.
ah I see... I didn’t realize it only came with the 3lt since it’s outside the 3lt options package. Well if you like the threads, I can tell you it’s even better with the matching paddle shifters and outside paint (mine in racing yellow pictures).

(Edit: I was wrong abt the mirrors as someone pointed out.) Since you pointed out the threads, I also realized my carbon colored side mirrors— which I love because they match my hood flash and contrast with the yellow paint— are only an option on 3lt too.

More power to you if you can do this mod...I’m glad I didn’t have to because I’d rather change a spark plug or air filter than color a stitch.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-09-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 PM
KFC-AWD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

ah I see... I didn’t realize it only came with the 3lt since it’s outside the 3lt options package. Well if you like the threads, I can tell you it’s even better with the matching paddle shifters and outside paint (mine in racing yellow pictures).

Since you pointed out the threads, I also realized my carbon colored side mirrors— which I love because they match my hood flash and contrast with the yellow paint— are only an option on 3lt too.

More power to you if you can do this mod...I’m glad I didn’t have to because I’d rather change a spark plug or alternator than color a stitch.

Not true. Carbon colored mirrors are a $100 option. I have it on my 2lt GS.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by KFC-AWD
Not true. Carbon colored mirrors are a $100 option. I have it on my 2lt GS.
You’re right- I’m corrected
Old 08-09-2018, 09:21 PM
olblue75
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Used a orange sharpie on my Camaro 1LE shifter suede stone stitched **** lasted a few weeks and fades out.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Gryphon_
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm bummed because I have a victory red 08 C6 3LT, but the black interior seems to have black stitching.. dammit
Old 11-12-2018, 10:00 PM
gtam85
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by olblue75
Used a orange sharpie on my Camaro 1LE shifter suede stone stitched **** lasted a few weeks and fades out.
Was the orange sharpie the fabric sharpie?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Is the "Stained by Sharpie" pen still the pen of choice for Red?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Is the "Stained by Sharpie" pen still the pen of choice for Red?

I used FabricMate chisel tip fabric dye pen for mine. The important thing to me is they are slow drying unlike many fast drying pens. The problem with fast drying pens is you may have a hard time removing the dye from the leather around the stitching. The FabricMate says it's permanent after 24 hours and many others are permanent as soon as you apply it.

Be careful and make sure you have a wet rag to wipe off excess while dying your stitching. I would only apply about 20 inches at a time before wiping off excess.

Also make sure you do it in good lighting so you can see where you may have not removed the dye from the leather.

Another helpful tip is if you own a coupe remove your top to make getting the top of your seats easier and it also makes the lighting better.

Get notified of new replies

To Best $2.49 interior mod ever (IMHO)

Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
fabric pens don't fade much, they dye the stitching not color it......even in UV - all you do is do it again if you think it's getting light....
all leather is dyed. I bet it will work great.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
I used FabricMate chisel tip fabric dye pen for mine. The important thing to me is they are slow drying unlike many fast drying pens. The problem with fast drying pens is you may have a hard time removing the dye from the leather around the stitching. The FabricMate says it's permanent after 24 hours and many others are permanent as soon as you apply it.

Be careful and make sure you have a wet rag to wipe off excess while dying your stitching. I would only apply about 20 inches at a time before wiping off excess.

Also make sure you do it in good lighting so you can see where you may have not removed the dye from the leather.

Another helpful tip is if you own a coupe remove your top to make getting the top of your seats easier and it also makes the lighting better.
Since the leather has a plasticized coating, no big whoop
Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Any other fabric pens that work well that people like?

Quick Reply: Best $2.49 interior mod ever (IMHO)