Sponsored by:

C7 Is it a Vette or a Hundai?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray
^^ Agree with what Gthal stated. The C7 interior is an excellent improvement over past gens and now it's very close to or up to par with the German marques but none of these are perfect. I had a late model E55 and an M3, and both cars had their share of interior imperfections (e.g. Plastic ***** that easily broke, flimsy cupholders, even some minor fitment issues, etc.) plus don't get me started on electrical gremlins. Needless to say I was disappointed. The C7's interior isn't 100% perfect bliss like a Bentley or a Ferrari but it still exudes high-quality and is well-designed.
Funny story I owned a 335i BMW that had a mechanism that would hand you the seat belt each time you turned the key. Each time it would not function properly and hand you nothing. Good idea but did not work . So even the German engineering has it's kinks.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 AM
xmonger
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bighank
Sat in a C7 today at the Washington Auto Show. Looks good from the outside but that changes when you get into the driver's seat.

The wheel feels smaller than my C5. Maybe just the difference in the wheel but the paddles inside the wheel felt kinda chintzy too. Plastic?
With the seat all the way down and back I felt like I was looking through the top of the windshield. I am 6'3" and do not have that experience in my C5 vert. The switch buttons for the windows and memory options also feel very light and flimsy. Better suited for a TV remote or XBOX control. For the likes of me I could not open the passenger door from the outside. Made sure that the doors were electrically unlocked. Did not like the inside door button. Why not a real latch.
Trunk was full of the top. Two other people said they doubted that you could put 2 full golf bags in the trunk. My C5 trunk has ample room even with the top down and stored in the trunk.
I was totally unimpressed by this remarkable car of the year.
I am not sure how you can give a review of the vehicle without driving it. After all, that is the point of an enthusiast vehicle.

Here is a review by TheSmokingTire (done by a C5 owner). The concluding statements are very strong when he compares the C7 vs C5.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 AM
690 HP V
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ban!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Maybe the 2015 version will address the major defects but as far as I am concerned I wouldn't take a C7 now if you paid me.
I was going to buy you a new C7 and give you 10K to change your mind about the C7, but unfortunately you indicated that you would decline such as offer. Too bad your nitpicking got the best of you.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Sat in a C7 today at the Washington Auto Show. Looks good from the outside but that changes when you get into the driver's seat.

The wheel feels smaller than my C5. Maybe just the difference in the wheel but the paddles inside the wheel felt kinda chintzy too. Plastic?
With the seat all the way down and back I felt like I was looking through the top of the windshield. I am 6'3" and do not have that experience in my C5 vert. The switch buttons for the windows and memory options also feel very light and flimsy. Better suited for a TV remote or XBOX control. For the likes of me I could not open the passenger door from the outside. Made sure that the doors were electrically unlocked. Did not like the inside door button. Why not a real latch.
Trunk was full of the top. Two other people said they doubted that you could put 2 full golf bags in the trunk. My C5 trunk has ample room even with the top down and stored in the trunk.
I was totally unimpressed by this remarkable car of the year.

I guess you don't know the reason behind the smaller steering wheel. In racing, the smaller wheel will allow you to keep your hands at 10 & 2 and not have to "shuffle" steer as you would with a larger wheel. The C5 seats were glorified couches made for the larger (IE fat) buyers of the product. The C7 is a car going back to it's roots of race first, cruise second. I for one, can't wait to get my new track car.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 AM
shannanl
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to ignore cheezy and cheaply designed features go for it.
I just pointed out several deficiencies in the CAR OF THE YEAR.
If this gets your goat and you are sold on glitz thats fine with the dealerships that are charging 5 to 10 K over list price.
If professional reviewers are blind and lack tactile ability then this might be the car for them. I used the term Hundai to imply something that is overpriced and not first quality. If you bought your C7 sight unseen and are trying to rationalize your decision I have sympathy with you. Just look at the top of this section to see all the DEFECTS found by owners of C7s, right now its 48 pages and counting. Maybe the 2015 version will address the major defects but as far as I am concerned I wouldn't take a C7 now if you paid me.
And you learned all this just by sitting in one? Sounds like you already had your mind made up that you didn't like the car.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can deal with any ****ling problems with my new C7, but I couldn't deal with my C6Z problem of grenading engines so I traded her!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 AM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why OP is even on this site - he should stick to his C5 -
ps he earned my ignore button
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

hat'n it because you don't have it. oldest childish book in the shelf.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

C5...

Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe OP would be better of with the original C7.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

Originally Posted by Zee51Vert
ABSOLUTELY !!! Let's shut this down...NOW...

Would love to get my clic back...

Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
C7 Frank
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow are you people touchy!!!!!!!!!! Come on, we're all vette guys. As carol Shelby said we are all car guys some cars we love better than others but we love cars.

Loved the C1's had friends with one but couldn't afford it.

Loved the C2's had even more friends that had one. Still couldn't afford it. Kept the young bride instead.

When the C3's came out thought they were great. After too many years I became complacent. Hope the C7 does not turn out that way.

The C4's were a nice change from the C3, for me. I still couldn't afford one. Kept the teenage daughter instead.

Had a C5, 2004 red/tan vert, loved everything about it.

Had a C6, 2006 white/tan, vert loved everything but the electronic doors!

When I saw the C7 in the ads and pictures, no matter what color, I was not impressed. Looked like they had done a little reshaping of the C6. In November I did a tour of the museum and factory. Wow was I blown over! Ordered one when I got home and sold the C6. Of course I am not 6'3" I am only 5'10" so I do fit a little better in every vette.

I am glad you are happy with your car, I was to!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 PM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Oh good! I can stop drooling now.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM
nickmenow
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

OP,

I have a C7 and a 2011 Hyundai Sonata (& a 2013 WRX). I am 6' and have no probs in either car. I'm impressed with the C7's interior. When I bought the 2011 Sonata I thought the interior was good enough but not impressive. The WRX has cloth seats and it too is good enough and not impressive. I have to wonder why you would ask a community of Corvette enthusiasts a rather personal question on preference then justify your decision with criticisms of what the enthusiasts admire. Are you looking for the community to make fun of your decision to change your mind and tell you you are wrong or perhaps it's the reaction that would push you away from the acclaimed. The rest of the thread is just people picking at statements with opinion which is what a forums is...communication between many with opinions on facts or other opinions. There are the occasional DIY and instructions that have a higher value in my opinion - see....my opinion.

Again, I can't understand why Hyundai vs Corvette is an issue. Buy what you want. Everyone else on here doesn't really care.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
dont feed the trolls....more multipage no content coming up.....
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I was going to buy you a new C7 and give you 10K to change your mind about the C7, but unfortunately you indicated that you would decline such as offer. Too bad your nitpicking got the best of you.
Um, I like the C5 too. Change my mind by giving me the same offer. I won't decline.

Cheers.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Is it a Vette or a Hundai?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 AM
IWITavor
4th Gear

Two things that I miss from my C5.
The wearing of the clear coat & scratches that soon appear on the paint around the door handles. Caused by your finger tips & nails rubbing the paint before pulling the door handle. ( Especially Chicks opening the doors - Brutal )

What I miss the most;
The Two Chiclets glued to the body just in front of the rear wheels.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM
MRCOUPE5
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

C5 rookie. I have a NRB / Kahalhari and 2 sets of clubs fit easily . There is no
comparison with the C5 . I sold my 2011 Grand Sport and never looked back.
Picked up my C7 from Rick Conti on Sedt. 24th and by far it out ranksi any
C 1 2 3 4 5 6 by miles . Time for you to test drive one . Ed
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I can understand someone saying the seating is a slightly bit cozier than a C5 or a C6....but, the seats are light years better and if you ever sit in a Porsche or a Bimmer Z4 you'll realize they're the same way! The ONLY down side the C7 has compared to the C5 or C6 is the slightly smaller luggage space. But it's still way more than their competitors and plenty for me.

Quick Reply: C7 Is it a Vette or a Hundai?