Sponsored by:

Thinking About Canceling my Order

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
It is a GM problem with their screwed up system. This is my sixth new car order and the first that took this long without results. Something is not the same in the system as when I placed my C6 order. That process took about six weeks.
Another thing we are forgetting; we lost about a month due to the holiday season, first time I ordered through the holidays. If I discount the holidays my order has been in place two months.
I hear ya. Though my understanding (and is why I was hoping the experts would chime in) is that if a dealer places a Corvette order... and they have an allocation at that moment... that the status jumps to 2000 regardless of any perceived restraints.

I would like order experts to shed some light on this.

1000 Order On Hold at Dealership
1100 Order Placed at Dealership
1101 Order Entered into System
(or 1102 Order Entered via Web)
2000 Order Accepted by Chevrolet

3000 Order Accepted by Production Control

It will not advance past 1100 status until it's placed against the dealers
allocation.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 01-30-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
86style
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@gotboostPerf
Just order from a large dealer and have it shipped. I decided to buy one 5 weeks ago, so I ordered from MacMulkin in NH and I live in Oregon......3000 miles difference. I found the exact car I wanted that MacMulkin had ordered for stock. I bought it on a Friday, it was built on the following Monday, and I took delivery of it via enclosed car transport last Thursday. Totally smooth experience and only waited after I bought it a little over 4 weeks.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 AM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I think your thoughts are pretty rational. Look around...this is happening to lots of people who placed deposits with smaller dealers that have few cars allocated to them. Some dealers took deposits for far more cars than they were allocated and are now scrambling to find cars and are, in fact, calling the larger dealers in hopes of getting one of their allocations. Dave from Kerbeck put up a post about this in the section a day or so ago.

Some of the larger dealers have plenty of cars in stock including base and Z51 cars. Many of us have had very good experiences working with forum dealers (Criswell, Kerbeck, Coughlin, etc.).
Good luck.
S.
It boggles my mind how many similar posts I read on this forum almost daily. Keep in mind, when the BIG Dogs (Kerbeck, Criswell, Coughlin, etc) have filled their allocations for the 2014 model, its going to be game over.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I am in the same boat, Z51 vert on order since 09.09 and was at 1100 last week. My small dealer finally convinced me to remove the FAY carbon fiber trim to speed things up and I did so. This morning I checked the Chevy order track site and the message was different, I then "chatted" with their rep and was told my order is at 2051, or, accepted. I am waiting for an independent verification before I get my hopes up, but it seems that my order is finally moving forward after almost five months! If you have multiple constraints with a small dealer you may want to reconsider which of those constrained items you can delete to move forward.

BTW, living in MN with a brutal winter, delivery before April is really not wanted.

UPDATE: I just got the negative confirmation, 2051 means changed order only, order still at 1100.
Why did Chev not use 1151 instead of 2051???

"You do have 2051 listed on your order, but that just means the order was changed through web. The official event is still 1100-Preliminary Order Accepted."

Last edited by Harry2; 01-30-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Have looked at Buds?? he is in OHIO
Old 01-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I went thru a similar situation back when I ordered my 99 C5. They were rare and I ordered one from a local dealer and the car never came after 12 weeks. So I ordered it again from another dealer and was into for 6 weeks and no word at all. My brother suggested going to Kerbeck so I called down there and told them what I was after. The salesguy said fedex a grand to hold the car and they were building two the next week. I got the car in 5 weeks. So I would strongly recommend some of these Forum venders like Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Criswell, etc.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I went thru a similar situation back when I ordered my 99 C5. They were rare and I ordered one from a local dealer and the car never came after 12 weeks. So I ordered it again from another dealer and was into for 6 weeks and no word at all. My brother suggested going to Kerbeck so I called down there and told them what I was after. The salesguy said fedex a grand to hold the car and they were building two the next week. I got the car in 5 weeks. So I would strongly recommend some of these Forum venders like Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Criswell, etc.
This is the answer to all that are waiting. I have friends who won't cross a street to buy coffee they are waiting for someone to build one next to there desk.
z51vett
Doug
Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 AM
MRCOUPE5
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Call Rick Conti at Caughlin Corvettes in Columbus . I got Kalahari / NRB/ C7
on Sept. 24th . Rick has about 24 or so in stock . He can get anything
you desire in a few weeks ,, My Stingray has seen the road only twice
in the last 5 weeks with salt and sand all over Northern Virginia
Good luck .. Ed
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebottom
I've had a heavily constrained coup order placed since Oct. 4 with a dealer that has allocation (I'm one of his first round of allocations). It's a very small dealer and I ordered from them because they were great about letting me test drive the car (this will be my first Corvette).

When I ordered the car they estimated 4 months - it's been 4 months and I'm still at 1100.

I'm seriously thinking that if I don't go to 2000 tomorrow I'm going to go get my deposit back and place an order with one of the volume dealers (sponsor) who's told me he can get the car this spring.

Thoughts?
I too am wanting to do business with a small dealership within 20 miles of me. They have been told by GM that they will have two allocations per year (at least as of this time). I personally want a 2015 at this point in the game and I have been told that I am number 1 on the list for one of his 2 2015 allocations. What keeps me with this dealer is proximity to home and the fact that he will order me a Z51 pkg. car for $4,000 off sticker. This is a deal hard to duplicate.....providing he can get the car. My problem is this....for the 2 people wanting his 2014 allocations....they are still waiting since he has not been given an allocation yet, despite the fact he expects one at any time. This is very worrisome for me since I want to be able to order a 2015 in May. In an effort to protect myself I have ALSO put down a refundable deposit at a larger dealership that gets approximately 150 C7's per year. They will sell a Z51 for $2,000 under MSRP and are about 3.5 hours from my house. In summary, I am trying to position myself to make sure I can get a car when I want it while I hold out for my local dealer.....which is who I REALLY want to do business with if possible.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
calling CF order guru's...

Is 4 months below 2000 a GM problem, or a dealer-without-allocations problem ?
It's an allocation issue. Sounds like the dealer isn't getting the combination of items for the order.

onthebottom: I suggest you jump to a dealer than can prove to you they have an allocation now, or that they get many per cycle which increases the combination of constrained parts available. Many people, some in this thread have complained but won't leave their small dealership that is likely not going to deliver them a car for the 2014 model year.. Some have no real constraint items and can't see they are getting jerked around.

I ordered my car with four options that have been on constraint and did have to wait a bit, (2 months including the Holiday shutdown) but when the factory started taking orders again this month I went from 1100 to 3300 and a TPW of 2/10 in less than one week.

Call the forum dealers and be very direct. Tell them what you want and ask how soon they can get you to 2000.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

In the future, I have learned, I know the system, now, and will order accordingly. Two things I will not do again: 1. pre delivery trade (locked to dealer because of sales tax). 2. Order the first year a new product is introduced (demand is high and there is a preferred dealer system in place).

Last edited by Larry/car; 01-30-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I really appreciate the views above, and the PMs - will absolutely reach out to the locals.

I've sent my dealer a note saying if the order isn't picked up this week I will cancel the order. I've also had a email dialog with one of the high volume (and dare I say professional) Corvette deals on this forum. I've been transparent with him on what I want, when I want it and that this is a cancel and reorder - he's been very helpful and says he can deliver.

I love this forum, I know so much more about the car and the process than I ever would had I not found this little spot on the internet - thank you all for your knowledge and insight.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 909 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

I really appreciate the views above, and the PMs - will absolutely reach out to the locals.

I've sent my dealer a note saying if the order isn't picked up this week I will cancel the order. I've also had a email dialog with one of the high volume (and dare I say professional) Corvette deals on this forum. I've been transparent with him on what I want, when I want it and that this is a cancel and reorder - he's been very helpful and says he can deliver.

I love this forum, I know so much more about the car and the process than I ever would had I not found this little spot on the internet - thank you all for your knowledge and insight.
Way to get it done......I did the same back in sept...local guy was honest, telling me it would be May '14....thanked him, went to Conti, was driving 5 weeks later.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:06 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

The dealer I have my Z51 cpe order in with since Aug/13 had 2 orders for this week, no Z51. I am 2nd in line for such order. He had traded w/ another dealer for a Z51 convertible. So we are taking delivery this afternoon on the conv. Gave up on GM supplying him with a Z51 coupe before summer gets here.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

For the people that are holding out for a 2015 model, make sure that you calculate some sort of price increase in your planning. Typically, most models will have one or two price increases during a model year. We have not seen that yet for the 2014 C7, but with demand holding pretty strong with the supply, it would not surprise me to see a price increase before the end of the '14 MY and definitely an increase for the '15 MY. How much would be anyone's guess, but it would not surprise me to see the increase be significant.

This is JMO, it is not based on any specific information or insight that I have received from anyone at GM. Just an educated guess on my part. Good luck with what you guys find. I can tell you that owning this car is a joy!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I hear ya. Though my understanding (and is why I was hoping the experts would chime in) is that if a dealer places a Corvette order... and they have an allocation at that moment... that the status jumps to 2000 regardless of any perceived restraints.

I would like order experts to shed some light on this.
My understanding is that if GM accepts the order it means they have everything to build it!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 PM
rockethead7
Racer

I've had a heavily constrained coup order placed since Oct. 4 with a dealer that has allocation (I'm one of his first round of allocations). It's a very small dealer and I ordered from them because they were great about letting me test drive the car (this will be my first Corvette).

When I ordered the car they estimated 4 months - it's been 4 months and I'm still at 1100.

I'm seriously thinking that if I don't go to 2000 tomorrow I'm going to go get my deposit back and place an order with one of the volume dealers (sponsor) who's told me he can get the car this spring.

Thoughts?
Well, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't do a darned thing based on things told to me by a competing dealer. They can say anything. In the end, you might just swap one inaccurate estimate for another inaccurate estimate. I also tend not to back out of my agreements, especially if they have earned some loyalty from me. (But, yes, if they made a promise they can't keep, and lied about having allocation, that's a different story.)

Anyway, if you really think you're going to save time by starting over from scratch with another dealer, well, do as you wish. I would tend to doubt that, even with the allocation process being slanted, that starting over with a mega-volume dealer from scratch is going to result in getting your car quicker than sticking with the smaller-allocation dealership where you ordered 4 months ago. It seems like a pretty lofty promise to make, even for a large mega-dealer, to say, "hey, you've already been 'in line' for 4 months at the other dealership, but if you come over to our dealership, we can get you the car quicker." I could easily be wrong, of course. But, it seems pretty far fetched to think that even a mega-dealer could catch up and surpass the 4 months you've already been waiting. And, if it's the case that I'm wrong, and yes, one dealer has THAT much more power than the other dealer, then Chevy's entire allocation system is completely broken.

In any case, I'd definitely give my dealer a shot at escalating the order before just blindly cancelling.

Last edited by rockethead7; 01-30-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking About Canceling my Order

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
At this point it would be tempting to pull the order and then place one for '15 model and get a year newer car (altho you wouldn't have it by spring; could probably have it by mid-summer, tho).
Won't the 2015's start coming out around early September?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM
markk1
Racer

Originally Posted by rockethead7
Well, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't do a darned thing based on things told to me by a competing dealer. They can say anything. In the end, you might just swap one inaccurate estimate for another inaccurate estimate. I also tend not to back out of my agreements, especially if they have earned some loyalty from me. (But, yes, if they made a promise they can't keep, and lied about having allocation, that's a different story.)

Anyway, if you really think you're going to save time by starting over from scratch with another dealer, well, do as you wish. I would tend to doubt that, even with the allocation process being slanted, that starting over with a mega-volume dealer from scratch is going to result in getting your car quicker than sticking with the smaller-allocation dealership where you ordered 4 months ago. It seems like a pretty lofty promise to make, even for a large mega-dealer, to say, "hey, you've already been 'in line' for 4 months at the other dealership, but if you come over to our dealership, we can get you the car quicker." I could easily be wrong, of course. But, it seems pretty far fetched to think that even a mega-dealer could catch up and surpass the 4 months you've already been waiting. And, if it's the case that I'm wrong, and yes, one dealer has THAT much more power than the other dealer, then Chevy's entire allocation system is completely broken.

In any case, I'd definitely give my dealer a shot at escalating the order before just blindly cancelling.
Rockethead, there is a big difference between a dealer that gets maybe 15 or 20 allocations for a MY and one that gets 1000. The problem is that the smaller dealers can (and evidently do) place orders above their expected allocation quantity and allow their customer to believe that their "order" is in the GM system and it is only a matter of time. That may be the case, but then maybe not. As far as GM cares, there is no difference between being at 1100 with a dealer who has no allocations for 4 months and one that placed an order today that will be picked up next week because that dealer does have available allocations. If the dealer is not straight up about his/her allocation expectation going forward, including their allocation of constrained options, I personally think it is time to decide how bad you want a 2014 Corvette. As far as I understand, there is no escalation system that gives dealers more allocations just because their customers are having a temper tantrum about not getting their car. All the while, they are steadily doling out a hundred or so allocations to the top dealer(s) per month.

Crappy system for those of us who prefer to keep our business local with smaller Corvette volume, yes. But as I said, one really has to decide how badly they want a 2014 Corvette.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM
rockethead7
Racer

Originally Posted by markk1
Rockethead, there is a big difference between a dealer that gets maybe 15 or 20 allocations for a MY and one that gets 1000. The problem is that the smaller dealers can (and evidently do) place orders above their expected allocation quantity and allow their customer to believe that their "order" is in the GM system and it is only a matter of time. That may be the case, but then maybe not. As far as GM cares, there is no difference between being at 1100 with a dealer who has no allocations for 4 months and one that placed an order today that will be picked up next week because that dealer does have available allocations. If the dealer is not straight up about his/her allocation expectation going forward, including their allocation of constrained options, I personally think it is time to decide how bad you want a 2014 Corvette. As far as I understand, there is no escalation system that gives dealers more allocations just because their customers are having a temper tantrum about not getting their car. All the while, they are steadily doling out a hundred or so allocations to the top dealer(s) per month.

Crappy system for those of us who prefer to keep our business local with smaller Corvette volume, yes. But as I said, one really has to decide how badly they want a 2014 Corvette.
Hence why I said in my posting: "But, yes, if they made a promise they can't keep, and lied about having allocation, that's a different story."

Quick Reply: Thinking About Canceling my Order