C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:57 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BAMAGOLFER
Is that the settings on the center console monitor?

Yep, the NAV screen Settings. Get to them by pressing "HOME".

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
BAMAGOLFER (11-11-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 PM
sdadams
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you still have the C6 Tables. If so, can you re-post or point me to a link. I'm having a problem, and at this point have changed battery in both FOB's. Have not tested car battery, but it is relatively new and seems fully charged. Thanks for your help..
Old 11-17-2016, 09:29 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by sdadams
Do you still have the C6 Tables. If so, can you re-post or point me to a link. I'm having a problem, and at this point have changed battery in both FOB's. Have not tested car battery, but it is relatively new and seems fully charged. Thanks for your help..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...hat-to-do.html

>>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Aftermarket radios can cause an issue when you try to get into the programming mode. The radio triggers a code that the radio security feature is not talking to the ECM properly. If you have an aftermarket radio and did not buy the harness for the door beeps and OnStar, you might NOT be able to get into programming mode.

European Spec cars cannot do any FOB programming and must use the dealer.

Canadian Spec cars can ADD FOBs (short method) but must use dealer for long method.

Slot check 1-6
Short Method 1-3, 7, 8, 6 (add FOB)
Long Method 1-3, 9-15. Program fresh set of FOBs to the car.

If all else fails:

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

OR

Insure that you are not carrying your cell phone in your pocket. and try it again.

Elmer
Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 PM
azvetters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default great job

[QUOTE=eboggs_jkvl;1586080548]I had the C6 and I developed some step action tables to help people that experienced fob issues. I am trying to do that same service for the C7 owners.

I have the 2014 Owner's manual PDF and I've referred to that document plus I've carried over some of the logic from the C6 process to develop 2 separate tables.

I would appreciate help from you on this in the form of feedback on any errors that may appear in the tables. I will place the tables in here using a PDF format. I have the tables in a MS Word.DOCX format and I can edit and update them quite easily.

First table--> >>C7 RKE Programming<<

2nd table --> >>C7 RKE Not Detected<<

1st & 2 nd are right on the money, work great for my 2014???now my 2017 is just like nuts "HELP" it said you need two working remotes???
HELP ME, DO I NEED TO ASK GM,,,
Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM
eboggs_jkvl

[QUOTE=azvetters;1593625927]
Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I had the C6 and I developed some step action tables to help people that experienced fob issues. I am trying to do that same service for the C7 owners.

I have the 2014 Owner's manual PDF and I've referred to that document plus I've carried over some of the logic from the C6 process to develop 2 separate tables.

I would appreciate help from you on this in the form of feedback on any errors that may appear in the tables. I will place the tables in here using a PDF format. I have the tables in a MS Word.DOCX format and I can edit and update them quite easily.

First table--> >>C7 RKE Programming<<

2nd table --> >>C7 RKE Not Detected<<

1st & 2 nd are right on the money, work great for my 2014???now my 2017 is just like nuts "HELP" it said you need two working remotes???
HELP ME, DO I NEED TO ASK GM,,,
OK, be specific. I don't understand the question. What step are you having problems? Which of the two PDFs (Programming or Not Detected)are you using?

What problem are you having with the RKEs?

Elmer
Old 12-08-2016, 07:07 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

I have been told (dealer) that once a C7 FOB has been paired to a car, it cannot be unpaired and re-paired to another car. Cost me $507 to find this out.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by CP
I have been told (dealer) that once a C7 FOB has been paired to a car, it cannot be unpaired and re-paired to another car. Cost me $507 to find this out.
Nope, you got lied to by the dealer!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM
supervett455
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need help, I have 2017 Stingray and lost one key fob, dealer quoted around $350 for new fob (included programming and cut new key), so I took some advice from some members on this forum and bough new key on internet. my question is, can I program new key with your instructions for C7 above? if I screw up can I still use the #1 original key? Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by supervett455
I need help, I have 2017 Stingray and lost one key fob, dealer quoted around $350 for new fob (included programming and cut new key), so I took some advice from some members on this forum and bough new key on internet. my question is, can I program new key with your instructions for C7 above? if I screw up can I still use the #1 original key? Thanks
You have 2 choices:

1) Add it as #3 but it will not work with the memory functions. This allows the lost RKE to still unlock and start the car. (Not good)

2) Add it as #2 and it will be functioning as the original #1 & #2. To do this, use the LONG procedure. It will erase #1 in the process and will re-add #1 & #2. This will render useless the original lost RKE so were someone find it, somehow figure out where you live, they could not use the RKE to unlock or start the car.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-03-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 AM
supervett455
Advanced

You have 2 choices:

1) Add it as #3 but it will not work with the memory functions. This allows the lost RKE to still unlock and start the car. (Not good)

2) Add it as #2 and it will be functioning as the original #1 & #2. To do this, use the LONG procedure. It will erase #1 in the process and will re-add #1 & #2. This will render useless the original lost RKE so were someone find it, somehow figure out where you live, they could not use the RKE to unlock or start the car.

Elmer
thanks for advice
Old 02-03-2017, 09:30 AM
supervett455
Advanced

You have 2 choices:

Elmer
is the LONG procedure including step 1,2, and 8-14 on your table?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:34 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by supervett455
is the LONG procedure including step 1,2, and 8-14 on your table?
Yep, 1,2, jump to 8.

The first RKE you put in the slot during this procedure becomes #1 in the pair.

Elmer
Old 02-10-2017, 11:31 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

You have 2 choices:

Elmer
That answered the question I was just about to ask.

I just bought a car with one remote. Bought another remote but want to retain memory functions for #1 and #2. Thanks Elmer.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 PM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a question that is about battery life in the fob. First you need to understand my history with vettes. I had a C4 and a couple of C5's (still have one of them). In the two C5's that I have owned (2000,2004) the fob was a push a button to get something to happen. On my C4 it was similar to the C7 in the regard of having it on you as you came up to or walked away from would unlock/lock the vehicle. When the fob was not in use, it would shut off (via a motion detector) to save battery life. In fact one procedure was if you left the fob in the car, after some time it would shut off and then the car sensed it out of range and the doors locked. Some people would rock the car to get the fob to sense motion and wake up which would cause the car to unlock.
In my C7, when I leave the fob in the car it chirps three times but the car never locks.
So with this in mind, then the fob in the C7 is constantly sending out a signal all the time and never shuts off if left in the car?
Or if I take it away from the car and it locks does the fob recognize this and go into some sort of sleep/off mode?
If it is true that the fob never shuts off, then I would think that a hard time replacement of the battery would be in order.
Sorry if I am stating the obvious to some but I am trying to get my head around how this thing works.
VH
Old 02-10-2017, 10:02 PM
eboggs_jkvl

The RKE does not transmit a constant signal to the car. When you are within a short distance to the car and you do something that the RKE needs to respond to, the car does the work and the antenna in the RKE wakes up the RKE to respond to the signal from the car. A battery in the RKE lasts about 3 years and then you need to change it.

Elmer
Old 02-11-2017, 08:11 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you for the response. I think I see this now. I had it flipped over thinking it was like my C4.The RKE then is in a constant state of being a "receiver" causing the battery drain that is reducing the battery life.

Thanks again.
VH
Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

If you "brick" your car trying to program your fob (like I did), put the fob in the slot put your foot on the brake, and hold the start button for 20+ seconds.

Get notified of new replies

To ✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE

Old 02-11-2017, 07:55 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by CP
If you "brick" your car trying to program your fob (like I did), put the fob in the slot put your foot on the brake, and hold the start button for 20+ seconds.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-11-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

First off thanks Elmer for your help with RKE programming.

Got my "new" fob yesterday. Same part number as existing fob.

Programming went as expected and new fob took over the #3 spot.

The buttons would not work. Removed the recognized "old" fob from the car
got into the car with the #3 fob and DIC says no fob detected. I then put the
fob into the column slot and the car started.

Checked the battery in the fob and noted the frequency was 315MHz.
Looked in the old working fob and noted the frequency was 434MHz.

Looks like the new fob took up the #3 spot but the buttons would not work because of different frequencies. The car still recognizes the new fob if it is in the column slot and the car will start.

Maybe the fob I bought is for a different country?
The part number was the same.
Getting a refund, so that part is good.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:11 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by dndrsn
First off thanks Elmer for your help with RKE programming.

Got my "new" fob yesterday. Same part number as existing fob.

Programming went as expected and new fob took over the #3 spot.

The buttons would not work. Removed the recognized "old" fob from the car
got into the car with the #3 fob and DIC says no fob detected. I then put the
fob into the column slot and the car started.

Checked the battery in the fob and noted the frequency was 315MHz.
Looked in the old working fob and noted the frequency was 434MHz.

Looks like the new fob took up the #3 spot but the buttons would not work because of different frequencies. The car still recognizes the new fob if it is in the column slot and the car will start.

Maybe the fob I bought is for a different country?
The part number was the same.
Getting a refund, so that part is good.
I must say that the same exact thing happened to me. I ended up taking it to the dealership and they couldn't get to work either. We just ponied up and bought a new one from the dealership.

Last edited by joemessman; 02-13-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: ✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE