C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:30 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 4rensic22
Elmer -

The car only came with one FOB. I am not sure if my son is trying to add it as #2 or #3. I will forward your reply to him and we will be visiting him later today. I may be able to post an update.

Thanks again

Brad
OK, he's adding #2 and needs to do the long program to get 2 full memory functioning FOBs.

Good luck!

Elmer
Old 10-24-2017, 05:31 AM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If we follow steps 3 and 4 in table 1 (testing steering column slot) the car does not recognize the known remote. This would support what the dealer told my son about the sensor in the column. However, we are not able to replicate the code. My son is looking up how to view the code history in the information center.

I am told that the sensor may be covered under warranty?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

You're stuck until you get the slot fixed. I have no clue about warranty on that.

Sorry,

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
4rensic22 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 PM
4rensic22
Pro

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
You're stuck until you get the slot fixed. I have no clue about warranty on that.

Sorry,

Elmer
My son activated his OnStar and when he has a free moment he will check the code history.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:02 AM
4rensic22
Pro

Originally Posted by 4rensic22
My son activated his OnStar and when he has a free moment he will check the code history.
Happy Thanksgiving. I thought I would provide a summary/update:

Dealer #1 (CT) unable to program new (Ebay) fob. Tells my son car is throwing a code related to the RCDLR. We can not find this code in the history.

Our mechanic (NY) follows the full procedure. The column slot can not detect either fob. FOB #1 is still working.

Dealer #2 (NY) tries to troubleshoot this issue while the car is in for tires. Tell my son that the fobs are specific to the VIN and have to be ordered from the factory. My son of course argues with this and is told "don't believe what you read on the internet".

We then get home to find that they put summer tires on the car when we ordered All Season. I wish I had that conversation on tape. "Mr. Brown. Your email specifically states that you ordered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires". Me "That's not what you put on the car". (Dead silence). They are replacing the tires tomorrow and filling them with nitrogen at no charge.

At this point I think I am going to purchase and try to program a new FOB. If that won't program we'll have to come up with a plan "B". Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by 4rensic22; 11-23-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Freerider969 (04-29-2022)
Old 11-23-2017, 09:47 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Wow! You're dealer is just full of surprising information and service! I'd get the correct part number from GM for your car. Basically Coupe or Convertible is the delineation.

I have this information in my notes:
22779879 TRANSMITTER W/O REMOTE START $103.50 Coupe

22779880 TRANSMITTER W/REMOTE START $103.50 Convertible

I also recommend you go through Cultrag ( http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/ site sponsor) to insure you get the correct part for the car.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 11-23-2017 at 09:48 AM.
4rensic22 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 05:34 PM
4rensic22
Pro

I think we have eliminated the RCDLR. We pulled the battery out of FOB #1 and placed it in the slot in the steering column. The car started. I think we bought a FOB for a convertible not a coupe. Convertible FOB is going on eBay and we will be ordering a replacement (correct model #).
Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 PM
2015 Coupe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Questions and comment

Elmer,

Thank you. I'd be glad to help. I just hope I won't need a tow truck.

1. Question on table #1. When you say "make sure no remotes are near car", you mean both old one and new one. Correct? You keep them how far away? When do you bring them near the car? At the step in the process where you place the first one in the steering column?

Put key in trunk keyhole and turn the key five times in
less than 5 seconds.
NOTE: Make sure NO old remote transmitters are
anywhere near the car. THIS IS
IMPORTANT!

2. Stupid question: Does the RKE go in buttons up with the key side of the RKE towards the passenger side, or the other end of the RKE towards the Passenger?

3. It might be clearer if there was a step (5.1, 12.1, 13.1) to instruct the user to remove the RKE at the proper point after programmed and PRESS THE UNLOCK Key. This seems to be very important/critical.

Has this process ever been used or tested on a C7?

Thanks,

Ron

I had the C6 and I developed some step action tables to help people that experienced fob issues. I am trying to do that same service for the C7 owners.

I have the 2014 Owner's manual PDF and I've referred to that document plus I've carried over some of the logic from the C6 process to develop 2 separate tables.

I would appreciate help from you on this in the form of feedback on any errors that may appear in the tables. I will place the tables in here using a PDF format. I have the tables in a MS Word.DOCX format and I can edit and update them quite easily.

First table--> >>C7 RKE/FOB Programming<<

2nd table --> >>C7 RKE/FOB Not Detected<<

I would really like to get these tables accurate to help current and future C7 owners.

I thank you in advance for your feedback,

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Ron,

Answer #1 They should be away from the outside of the door by at least 6', they must not be in the cabin of the car.

Answer #2 The buttons point up and the slot for the key ring points to the passenger side of the car.

I added the part where you press unlock on the RKE in step 13, thanks.

Elmer
Old 03-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key fob/key replacement

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Does anyone know if there is a "key blank" similar to what was available for the C6 that opens the trunk lid if cut to the key in the FOB? It was some Chevy model key but it was a "normal" key. Or can that even be done for the C7 key that is totally different from a normal key.?
IF I BUY A UNCUT KEY ON EBAY, HAVE IT CUT TO MATCH MY KEY AND BUY A REPLACEMENT FOB, WILL IT PROGRAM TO THE CAR. C7
I have two sets, looking for an extra set in case I lose one?

Last edited by Mike Raines; 03-03-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Raines
IF I BUY A UNCUT KEY ON EBAY, HAVE IT CUT TO MATCH MY KEY AND BUY A REPLACEMENT FOB, WILL IT PROGRAM TO THE CAR. C7
I have two sets, looking for an extra set in case I lose one?
Yes.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Can you buy a uncut key that will work on a C7.
Can you buy a replacement key fob?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Default C7 chip key, Key Fob

Originally Posted by owc6
Yes.
Any suggestions for purchase?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 AM
owc6
Team Owner

EBay has key blanks for $7.67. Your dealer can order them, but it probably will cost more than that. The hard part is finding someone who has the machine to cut it, although one would assume that the machine is more common now than it was when the car was introduced.

Ebay has fobs for ~$50, too. The dealer can order. Make sure you get the correct fob for your car. There are four different fobs: Coupe manual, coupe auto, Vert manual, vert auto.

You can buy direct from GM, too.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Default C7 Key cut

EBay has key blanks for $7.67. Your dealer can order them, but it probably will cost more than that. The hard part is finding someone who has the machine to cut it, although one would assume that the machine is more common now than it was when the car was introduced.

Ebay has fobs for ~$50, too. The dealer can order. Make sure you get the correct fob for your car. There are four different fobs: Coupe manual, coupe auto, Vert manual, vert auto.

You can buy direct from GM, too.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHO CAN CUT THE KEY.
Ace hardware?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

You will have to call around your area to see who has purchased this very expensive machine . Worst case, you can go to the dealer and they can order one from your VIN (most expensive option).

eta: any GM dealer can do this . It doesn't have to be Chevy.

Last edited by owc6; 03-04-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Default Key

You will have to call around your area to see who has purchased this very expensive machine . Worst case, you can go to the dealer and they can order one from your VIN (most expensive option).

eta: any GM dealer can do this . It doesn't have to be Chevy.
Thanks, I am a retired GM Employee, so I think I can get my Chevy Dealer to do this.

Get notified of new replies

To ✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE

Old 09-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Vette4Dad
1st Gear

I had the C6 and I developed some step action tables to help people that experienced fob issues. I am trying to do that same service for the C7 owners.

I have the 2014 Owner's manual PDF and I've referred to that document plus I've carried over some of the logic from the C6 process to develop 2 separate tables.

I would appreciate help from you on this in the form of feedback on any errors that may appear in the tables. I will place the tables in here using a PDF format. I have the tables in a MS Word.DOCX format and I can edit and update them quite easily.

First table--> >>C7 RKE/FOB Programming<<

2nd table --> >>C7 RKE/FOB Not Detected<<

I would really like to get these tables accurate to help current and future C7 owners.

I thank you in advance for your feedback,

Elmer
Thanks for the table. I had trouble with the remote not being recognized. I checked the voltage. 12.34. borderline. Fail. Interesting that I could still unlock the car from the Chevrolet APP. Charged car and all is well.

Table for the troubleshooting is great.
DTtravelinman (12-02-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:32 PM
borkg2006
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where, exactly, is the on-board RKE receiver located. I know it's somewhere in the truck but I'd like to be able to find it without tearing up the entire truck.

My FOB's are "intermittent" even after 2 battery swaps. Last night got in my 2014, pushed the START button, got a "grunt" out of the engine then the THEFT DETERRENT IDIOT LIGHT came on. Let it sit awhile, put the FOB in the steering column and got the engine started BUT - the IDIOT LIGHT remained on and I had "SERVICE THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM" message. Got home, shut it off, restarted and no service or idiot lights appeared. The REMOTE START & TOP DOWN buttons on both know good FOB's work, but only intermittently. LOCK, UNLOCK, PANIC & TRUNK all work all the time on both FOB's. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:41 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by borkg2006
Where, exactly, is the on-board RKE receiver located. I know it's somewhere in the truck but I'd like to be able to find it without tearing up the entire truck.

My FOB's are "intermittent" even after 2 battery swaps. Last night got in my 2014, pushed the START button, got a "grunt" out of the engine then the THEFT DETERRENT IDIOT LIGHT came on. Let it sit awhile, put the FOB in the steering column and got the engine started BUT - the IDIOT LIGHT remained on and I had "SERVICE THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM" message. Got home, shut it off, restarted and no service or idiot lights appeared. The REMOTE START & TOP DOWN buttons on both know good FOB's work, but only intermittently. LOCK, UNLOCK, PANIC & TRUNK all work all the time on both FOB's. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Looks like you had enough juice in the car battery to get in the car. It sounds like you might need to check the car battery. I don't think your FOBs are the problem. I believe the BCM is the the piece of equipment that handles the FOBs. It is under the passenger foot-well carpet.

You got it to run, recharged the battery while running and the restart with a charged battery appears to have started the car as normal.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-16-2019 at 12:42 PM.
borkg2006 (03-16-2019)

Quick Reply: ✅SOLUTION Everything you wanted to know about your FOB's and RKE