C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why on Earth did GM equip the C7/Summer Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Why on Earth did GM equip the C7/Summer Tires?

Did a search folks, so do hope this is not a repeat. Title pretty much self-explanatory! Just looking for a common sense answer on the tire selection given anywhere from one third to one half of the Country shut down by the elements for many months every year! Your thoughts!
Wish All the Best! Jerry
Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

It seems stupid if you ask me. My stock C6 tires are fine in cold weather.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:28 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Corvettes are summer cars no matter what some people like to say...
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

I agree. My first purchase was a set of TSW rims and I installed the summer tires on them. My second purchase was a set of Michelin All Season tires and installed them on the stock rims. Both set are runflats and the All Season tires ride much better. It is just not GM. My friends Audi All Wheel Drive coupe is equipped with summer tires also. Go figure.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

GM wanted to build a "World Class Sports Car" I don't think the C7 would handle that well with Blizzaks.

They figure that some will be garage queens and not driven unless it's really nice out and for the other group of people they will throw on some all season / snow tires.

I'm happy they threw summer tires on because in warm weather the C7 handles like a champ!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

It would be a tough sell to advertise "A world class sports car that handles so-so because we put compromise all-season tires on it."

Especially all the Z51 fans. "I got the handling suspension package, with the optional non-handling tires."
Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a "sports car". The better the tire, the better the handling and that is exactly what sports cars are all about. If the C7 came equipped from the factory with snow plow (all season or winter) tires, the cars handling would be substantially compromised and conversations about 1+G lateral grip would be out of the discussion along with 3.8 seconds 0-60.

For those that need to drive the car under not so ideal conditions, you have options as you are well aware but those options are at YOUR expense and not at the expense of the cars outstanding performance and handling which (among other things) is what makes this car the incredible car that it is.

Stay warm!! It's in the mid 80's here in So.Cal and these "summer tires" are incredible on this car!!

Last edited by slief; 02-13-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
I agree. My first purchase was a set of TSW rims and I installed the summer tires on them. My second purchase was a set of Michelin All Season tires and installed them on the stock rims. Both set are runflats and the All Season tires ride much better. It is just not GM. My friends Audi All Wheel Drive coupe is equipped with summer tires also. Go figure.
Are you saying you found all-season run flats for the C7, Z51? I haven't heard that anyone was making them yet. That's why I haven't put any on my C7 this winter (since I drive mine all the time except in snow/ice).
Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by slief
Stay warm!! It's in the mid 80's here in So.Cal and these "summer tires" are incredible on this car!!
Oh shut up......
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

It's a "sports car". The better the tire, the better the handling and that is exactly what sports cars are all about. If the C7 came equipped from the factory with snow plow (all season or winter) tires, the cars handling would be substantially compromised and conversations about 1+G lateral grip would be out of the discussion along with 3.8 seconds 0-60.

For those that need to drive the car under not so ideal conditions, you have options as you are well aware but those options are at YOUR expense and not at the expense of the cars outstanding performance and handling which (among other things) is what makes this car the incredible car that it is.

Whenever our C7 arrives, it will not be used on the occasions where this area (central TX) gets into the low 20s or the occasional ice storm of which we’ve had 2 real ones and one imposter this season.

So, before the next winter, our G8GT will get a set of
Michelin Pilot A/S 3s to use when the crud settles in. If it’s too nasty for the G8, we aren’t going out in other than a true emergency situation and that’s highly unlikely. Don
Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
GM wanted to build a "World Class Sports Car" I don't think the C7 would handle that well with Blizzaks.

They figure that some will be garage queens and not driven unless it's really nice out and for the other group of people they will throw on some all season / snow tires.

I'm happy they threw summer tires on because in warm weather the C7 handles like a champ!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

It seems to me more people want summer tires than all season tires. So, better to put the summer tires as stock and let winter drivers buy winter tires. Rather than give everyone winter tires and make them buy summer tires.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No mid 80's here in the Inland Empire. High is only 82
Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This might be the dumbest question ever asked on a forum. All season tires on a Corvette???

Why not just go buy a Buick, if your buying the performance of a Vette and then disabling it with tires meant for an SUV what is the point....
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I'd be pissed if I spent money on a sports car that came with all season tires. GM got this right.

If this is your year round daily driver, you are really pushing the limits and you will need separate wheels with snow tires to stand any chance in the winter.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1
This might be the dumbest question ever asked on a forum. All season tires on a Corvette???

Why not just go buy a Buick, if your buying the performance of a Vette and then disabling it with tires meant for an SUV what is the point....
Leadville;
OK. Sorry for the post. Have a nice evening!
Jerry
Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These tires are grippy as hell, but I am sure when my tires need to be replaced, I will get a diff set, love the grip, hate the low speed turn's, I thought my front tire's were flat, the first time it happened. But I live in Florida, so I will never need "all season's" maybe different brand.

Get notified of new replies

To Why on Earth did GM equip the C7/Summer Tires?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

I agree with this thought but, how often is the car driven on the track and how often on the street. You will not be accomplishing 1+G lateral grip around a street corner. GM offers three different roofs, vented seats, heated seats and so on. These summer tires are deemed unsafe below 40 degrees, dry or wet. Would it make sense if an optional set of rims with either All Season tires be available for those who want it, or optional track tires for those who want it.
Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
Are you saying you found all-season run flats for the C7, Z51? I haven't heard that anyone was making them yet. That's why I haven't put any on my C7 this winter (since I drive mine all the time except in snow/ice).
Never said it was a Z51.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Question asked: Why on did GM equip the C7 with Summer Tires?

Question answered: The C7 is high performance sports car mainly driven in dry, mild conditions. Therefore it is sold with 'summer' tires to provide the maximum performance on dry streets in mild to warm weather.

If you can afford a $60k car. You should be able to afford a $1000 set of A/S tires. Considering the vast majority of Corvettes are driven only in mild to warm & dry weather, it doesn't take a scientist to figure out that GM is simply catering to the majority. Could GM offer an A/S option? Sure they could. But is it really necessary for them to do so, when pretty much any tire shop down the block already offer that option?

For those few Corvette owners (like myself) choose to drive their car year round. Or in the rain/wet or when temperatures are less than 40 degrees (which is the advertised limit of the max 'summer' tires OE installed on the car). The Michelin Pilot A/S or AS3 is one of the best tire options you can choose. It provides plenty of grip in the wet & dry, works well in cold temps and can also handle a few inches of snow. I know this first hand as I drove my new-to-me C6 through the snowy mountains of WV & Northern Maryland with absolute no drama.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
Jacques, as of one month ago, michelin did not make a run flat in all season that fit the C7. the only tire they had that fit the C7 was the A/S-3, which i bought, and can assure you they are not run flats. what model number/type michelin did you buy that is all season, run flat? thanks in advance for the info--pls pm me to assure i get it. (i see from your moniker that you have c6 at the end. could you be referring to the c6 and not the c7?)

Quick Reply: Why on Earth did GM equip the C7/Summer Tires?