C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C7 just failed California smog at 420 miles.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread does however bring up a very interesting point and or question when it comes to buying newer used cars.

I have a neighbor who very recently bought a used Viper from the east coast. He bought the car with very very low milage and when he went to register the car ran into a major issue as the Ca DMV would not register it. It fell into that 7500 mile rule and he ended up having to return the car to the seller who had guaranteed him there would be no issues with Ca. registration. In the end he got his money back but what I am wondering is if his car was also a 50 state emissions car and that rule applies to all used out of state cars or was it because his car was not a 50 state legal car? Anybody familiar with the registration laws on used out of state cars?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HDBADDOG55
It takes a big man to admit when he is/was wrong. For that, you have my admiration. Being an attorney in California for the past 38 years, this "issue" can, and in some cases has, caused a great deal of emotional & financial grief for clients who purchased cars out of state with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer.Rego: the reason for my post.
Thank you. You must have read my mind. Take a look at my post above. I must have been typing it as you were replying.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

A minor point; if a car is more than 5 years old the CA smog test is every other year, not every year as previously stated. My 2001 is tested bi-annually. New cars sold in California are not tested for the first five years.
Not sure why a 2014 Vette sold anywhere in the USA would not have a sticker saying it is CA smog legal, since my 2001 Vette, which was bought off of a dealer lot when I lived in Kentucky, has a CA legal sticker. When I moved, it had about 2200 miles on it. I was required to get a visual inspection at the DMV and prove that sales taxes had been paid on the car. No smog test was required.
Sorry for the lousy pic.

Phil
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor 2
Is this right?
Did you contact your dealer and ask him if every C7 fails the smog tests? I would think there is some kind of chevy dealer association that can contact the state about this issue.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
There is absolutely no logical reason a brand new 2014 vehicle should be required to be tested. Just another government tax grab, keeping a bunch of superfluous employees working, for no practical purpose.

We have a similarly useless program here (its called "AirCare"). Fortunately, it is in its last year, and will be gone by 2015. The union argued for its renewal, but the government ignored them.

Our two primary vehicles are too new to require testing, but the Trans Am (1999) is still required to be tested every second year (which costs me $48).

They plug into the OBDII port, see that there are no codes, and take my money.

As the majority of vehicles on the roads are now too new (and exempt), the AirCare stations are mostly deserted, with the workers spending their days drinking coffee and standing around.

Good work if you can get it I guess.
When I took NCM delivery of my 07 coupe, I did a good deal of driving on the way back to CA. Car had about 3500 miles on it when I took it to DMV to register. In addition to paying the CA sales tax, I had to take it to get smog tested, since I did not buy it from a CA dealer. Also had to pay a $17 "import fee" for bringing it into CA myself.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Atticus Alan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsocb
Sorry, but I have to respond to this.
I agree it is ridiculous to require a smog check on a brand new vehicle. This is an artifact in the Motor Vehicle Code left over from when cars made for sale outside of CA had higher emissions. The rule only applies to brand new cars if they have been registered in another state. New cars sold and registered as new in CA do not require a smog check until they are six years old.

As for it being a tax grab, not so, the Smog Test Stations in CA are private businesses and are very competitive. They typically only make $20-$30 per test and each test takes about 15-20 minutes. No one is getting rich making $60-$100 per hour gross in a business. The certificate does cost $8.75 which goes to the state to cover the cost of administering the program.

I can tell you the program as a whole is worth it. I have lived in the Los Angeles basin since I was one year old (over 50 years) and the air here used to be downright unhealthful. Now we almost never have the eye-burning throat-choking air I remember from when I was young.

In fact the car in front of me in line last month (a 90's vintage Asian compact car) had the telltale smell of a failed pollution control system. It smelled like a noxious combination of raw gas and rotten eggs. I asked the technician if it failed and he said yes.

I believe there should be exemptions for antique and limited production specialty vehicles (which there are), but the masses who don't bother maintaining their stock cars have to be checked so those cars either get fixed or taken off the road. This is not politics, it is simply the price we have to pay for high population density.
Thank you very much for being the voice of reason.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:32 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 497 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Are you sure about the sticker? Every car we order has the Northeast Emissions Package and has this sticker:

We had one other customer have this problem earlier in the year and I called Tech and they said to put 1,000 miles on the car before testing. I told them they were nuts since some of our customer took 6 months or more to put those miles on.

The customer did the same as you and took it to another station and it passed fine. He did put about 200 more miles on it first though.

Dave
Before this thread gets locked, and it should be locked for all of the politics.

There is some information of note here:
It seems all 2014 Corvettes have the same sticker. I suspected this noting before there was nothing on the window sticker or build sheet to indicate which emission RPO the car was ordered with. I would also put forth there is no CA or NE "emissions package" in the hardware or software of the car. Since there is nothing in the build sheet how would the BG assembly workers know which cars are ordered with a CA or NE RPO. I don't even think there is anything in the VIN to identify said RPOs. I think the only place there may be a difference is on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
Dave can you look at a Manufacturer's Cert. and see if there is anything about the emissions?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsocb
Before this thread gets locked, and it should be locked for all of the politics.

There is some information of note here:
It seems all 2014 Corvettes have the same sticker. I suspected this noting before there was nothing on the window sticker or build sheet to indicate which emission RPO the car was ordered with. I would also put forth there is no CA or NE "emissions package" in the hardware or software of the car. Since there is nothing in the build sheet how would the BG assembly workers know which cars are ordered with a CA or NE RPO. I don't even think there is anything in the VIN to identify said RPOs. I think the only place there may be a difference is on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
Dave can you look at a Manufacturer's Cert. and see if there is anything about the emissions?
All MSO's say 50 State Emission Certifed. The only difference is the Build Sheet. YF5 is CA, NE1 is Northeast and FE1 is Federal although mechanically there is no difference, it's just something that the various states require.

Dave
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Removed all of the off-topic and political garbage. That stuff belongs in Off Topic > PRC, not in the C7 sections.

I'll open the thread back up, but if it goes back to off topic and political posts, it will get locked and the violators will pay.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 02-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:28 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you bought your car out of state and got courtesy delivery to a California dealer with the YF5 build sheet? Would it still need SMOG testing and if so, could the dealer do it?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:51 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
What if you bought your car out of state and got courtesy delivery to a California dealer with the YF5 build sheet? Would it still need SMOG testing and if so, could the dealer do it?
Courtesy Delivery doesn't apply to Vehicles already delivered to the out of State Dealer. It only applies to Vehicles being shipped from Bowling Green.

Instead of going to the out of State Dealer, the Car would be delivered to the local Dealer you made arrangements with. That Dealer would charge you an additional Fee for the Service.

The Vehicle would not require a CA Smog Test if you did the Courtesy Delivery.

Hope that clears it up.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 AM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Removed all of the off-topic and political garbage. That stuff belongs in Off Topic > PRC, not in the C7 sections.

I'll open the thread back up, but if it goes back to off topic and political posts, it will get locked and the violators will pay.
Thank you, Zymurgy. I started this thread last Saturday because I had a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. Scott (slief) could and did. But then the political crap came out and dominated the posts. Hopefully, this thread will now just be a rational, informed, on topic discussion.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 AM
82CFI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

While your admonition regarding off topic and political posts are rightly justified, you might need to re-remind the OP again. His 1st post in this re-opened thread just fans the embers into flames again with the wording of his 4th and 5th sentences. Shouldn't compliance to the above, suggest that Raptor should've kept his post to just the 1st three sentences. Just saying
Old 10-06-2014, 04:12 PM
k.greene21
1st Gear

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I am in the same boat as these out of state buyers, coming into CA.

I cant even get the car to the point where the station will actually smog it. Ive driven it 200 miles and all of the systems havent reset yet.

Whats going on here?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Move to Florida. We dumped emissions testing a long time because not enough cars were failing.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
Tested in Sport Mode. "Failed OBD System Checks"
This doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the emissions on your car. It is just throwing a code and that is an automatic fail. It is the same here in Texas. Have you checked to see what code is being thrown? I believe OnStar can help you get this info if you don't have a scan tool.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:43 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by k.greene21
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I am in the same boat as these out of state buyers, coming into CA.

I cant even get the car to the point where the station will actually smog it. Ive driven it 200 miles and all of the systems havent reset yet.

Whats going on here?

I bought my C7 out of State (MS). Had it trucked into CA and had it smogged with no problem. What did you mean by "all the systems haven't reset yet"?

If there is an issue, have it smogged at the Chevy Dealer. If it doesn't pass, they can figure it out and fix it under warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To My C7 just failed California smog at 420 miles.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
...have it smogged at the Chevy Dealer. If it doesn't pass, they can figure it out and fix it under warranty.
Exactly! This is what I was thinking since I read the original post!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 PM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Varmit
New cars in Cali are not required to submit to an emissions test until it is 5 years old. Does it have the sticker on it that states 50 states emissions legal AND CALI?????? What do you mean it failed smog?????????????????
had to have mine smogged in calif because i bought it at Kerbecks... they did a visual check and didnt have to put it in the machine...Passed no problem... Smog guy said its because its from out of state,,Dmv needs the paperwork, still cost 50.00...
Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 PM
C7Bill
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smog

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
Your smog guy in Chatsworth did the trick, Scott. Big Red is smogged. Thanks again for all your help.
I'm in the same boat. Bought my car from Coughlin in Ohio and had it shipped to my residence. Took all my paperwork to DMV and was told I needed smog. Lady at DMV told me what the law was. I received a red temporary. It's good until December. Did DMV advise that the car will have to be smogged every other year? I know my Tahoe is good for 5 years. I only have 120 miles on the car so plan on putting some more before smog check. Gotta love California red tape!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My C7 just failed California smog at 420 miles.