C7 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C7 products, services and promotions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

When I started driving the new Vette did not get any CAGS action. Then it started to happen. Not only traffic but in neighborhood where I try to be quieter. Had the device already so installed today. For those hesitant.....very easy. I use a quick jack so was even easier with plenty of room. Here are few photos showing where it is, and what it looks like installed. Worked well on test drive. Mine is from Southern Car Parts as well. First photo shows dummy plug into transmission. Second is a shot from bottom looking up after installation.

The following users liked this post:
JonMN (06-22-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I think the ship shift can be a problem for guys who drive in heavy bumper to bumper traffic a lot. I live in the country and I can't remember the last time mine activated. I guess that's why A8 transmissions are so popular now.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
I think the ship shift can be a problem for guys who drive in heavy bumper to bumper traffic a lot. I live in the country and I can't remember the last time mine activated. I guess that's why A8 transmissions are so popular now.
I live in the county as well. Which is partly why it’s needed IMO. Before I got mine for my 2014 C7, I got caught in bumper to bumper traffic whoch is very unusual. Didn’t realize why it was not going into 2nd so slowed as I looked down. Thank goodness the person behind did not get a text message and looked down to see who sent it not expecting me to slow! Could have been in my rear!

Also when in an a mall I occasionally will see the skip shift light on a shift to 2nd. Cheap way to avoid it ever happening. Installed in a few minutes when I put ceramic brakes on my Grand Sport. Just slide under the drivers side rear shell when the Vette is on jack stands

Last edited by JerryU; 01-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
never mind....googled.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:54 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Just ordered!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:02 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Just rev up the engine before going into second and it will never skip shift on you. A quick blip of the throttle is all it takes.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Just skip a few Starbucks Latte's and you can buy the defeat device! :lol;

Yep mine doesn't try often but when it does it's unexpected, like when in bumper to bumper traffic! Bad time as the person behind may have just had a beep on their cell phone and looked down to see who sent the text message and wasn't expecting this "Corvette" in front to slow suddenly as you fumble with the shifter! Just long enough to be in your rear end! Yep my 1 to 4 dash light still comes on (seldom) but when it does the solenoid that sets the blocking pin is disconnected!

I get a chuckle at those who won't spend ~$20 to avoid it 100% of the time! Don't need some silly computer telling me when to shift! If you don't have a jack or ever get your hands dirty then buy one and ask the tech at your next oil change to install it! Saw a gal on "All Girls Garage" TV do it in real time in less than 2 minutes. It's that simple. Unplug the solenoid connector and plug in this device that substitutes a resistor for the solenoid coil and "Fools" the computer into thinking it did it's job!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-22-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Just skip a few Starbucks Latte's and you can buy the defeat device! :lol;

Yep mine doesn't try often but when it does it's unexpected, like when in bumper to bumper traffic! Bad time as the person behind may have just had a beep on their cell phone and looked down to see who sent the text message and wasn't expecting this "Corvette" in front to slow suddenly as you fumble with the shifter! Just long enough to be in your rear end! Yep my 1 to 4 dash light still comes on (seldom) but when it does the solenoid that sets the blocking pin is disconnected!

I get a chuckle at those who won't spend ~$20 to avoid it 100% of the time! Don't need some silly computer telling me when to shift! If you don't have a jack or ever get your hands dirty then buy one and ask the tech at your next oil change to install it! Saw a gal on "All Girls Garage" TV do it in real time in less than 2 minutes. It's that simple. Unplug the solenoid connector and plug in this device that substitutes a resistor for the solenoid coil and "Fools" the computer into thinking it did it's job!
I'm sure it's very easy Jerry and for 20 bucks why not do it right. I guess the reason I haven't done it and probably won't is because mine never activates. I've been in heavy bumper to bumper traffic and mine just doesn't do it.
it probably has something to do with the way I drive but I now have close to 5 thousand miles on my car and it only did it once and that was when I intentionally tried to make it happen.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
Just supporting this "Vendor's Thread" as before I got mine for my September 2013 built C7 (because there were reports the one's tried tripped a CEL) I got caught in bumper to bumper traffic an what I described happened to me! Had a skip shift eliminator in my C6 so never experienced a blocked shift. The 7 speed was new so when I could not put it in 2nd (was in that narrow rpm range where it occurs) I looked down to see if it was me not shifting properly! By the time I realized what happened I had slowed with a space between me and the car that had moved up front.

Granted it's less obtrusive then my C6 and since we have little bumper to bumper traffic in our rural area the only time I occasionally see the dash light is when going slowly in a mall parking lot to get to an empty spot at the end. In fact IMO since it happens infrequently it's more of an issue as when it does, you might wonder, "What's Happened??"

It's such an easy install, if you own a Z51, GS or Z06 when installing ceramic brake pads (a necessary MOD) with the driver's rear wheel off just need to be sure your jack stands are positioned properly and it's very quick. (I changed brake pads the day after I drove my GS home so no cleaning of the rotors was needed!) Or as someone posted, just have the tech who does your oil change install (and give him a TIP!)

Last edited by JerryU; 06-23-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:40 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by JonMN
Just ordered!

Thank you for the order!
Old 08-30-2019, 08:30 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator

Also called CAGS Defeat

Do you hate the 1-4 skip shift installed on the C7 Manual Transmission? This little device will eliminate that annoying issue.

Our corvette skip shift kit will allow you to disable the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) feature of your C6 Corvette's 7-speed gearbox. This kit comes with the correct connectors, plugs and seals to protect your wiring harness and CAGS solenoid to allow you to re-connect the harness for full CAGS function, if you so desire. This kit is designed for use a C7 Corvette only. Will not fit C5 or C6 Corvette. No permanent modifications are required to install this product.

In stock here: http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...or-p-5789.html

Here's a picture of the C7 Corvette CAGS unit installed our our shop Stingray...

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator

Also called CAGS Defeat

Do you hate the 1-4 skip shift installed on the C7 Manual Transmission? This little device will eliminate that annoying issue.

Our corvette skip shift kit will allow you to disable the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) feature of your C6 Corvette's 7-speed gearbox. This kit comes with the correct connectors, plugs and seals to protect your wiring harness and CAGS solenoid to allow you to re-connect the harness for full CAGS function, if you so desire. This kit is designed for use a C7 Corvette only. Will not fit C5 or C6 Corvette. No permanent modifications are required to install this product.

In stock here: http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...or-p-5789.html

Here's a picture of the C7 Corvette CAGS unit installed our our shop Stingray...

Old 10-06-2019, 03:18 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Thank you for the orders!
Old 10-06-2019, 07:51 PM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Great, when my car arrives, the first and maybe the only mod I will accomplish.
Ha yes I've had my C7 for 5 weeks and it's my only mod also! I put one on my C5 fifteen years ago when I bought it, and it really does get rid of a VERY annoying experience. I had my indie mechanic install it simply because of easier access on his shop hoist...charged me all of 30 bucks to do this...money well spent.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:51 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by rfh928
Ha yes I've had my C7 for 5 weeks and it's my only mod also! I put one on my C5 fifteen years ago when I bought it, and it really does get rid of a VERY annoying experience. I had my indie mechanic install it simply because of easier access on his shop hoist...charged me all of 30 bucks to do this...money well spent.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Dale124
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I had no idea this was even a feature of the C7. I also had not noticed this issue, although I have seen the display message come on.
This just seems like a ridiculous feature. I understand that they are using this for their overall MPG rating, as I had noticed a difference in mileage when I started shifting from 1-4 intentionally, but to be forced to do it seems insane.
I imagine there are many people not aware of this “feature”. When I bought my car, the dealership let me take it by myself for a few hours, and had this occurred during my ride, I may not have purchased it, thinking there must be something wrong with it.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, was on my 2008 C6 and a bit more intrusive than on my 2014 C7 or Grand Sport. But still installed the "eliminator" on all 3 Vette's. If you look at the Owner's Manual for shift speeds for "best mileage" you'll see it has the higher gear going to ~1000 rpm. Have never driven that way. In fact seldom use 6th and only use 7th on the Interstate. Never use ECO mode so never n V4 mode.

It's NOT GM that puts it in because they want it, it's the Government requirement for better mpg. Also helps some models avoid a gas guzzler tax.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:45 PM
KLG
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale124
Well, I had no idea this was even a feature of the C7. I also had not noticed this issue, although I have seen the display message come on.
This just seems like a ridiculous feature. I understand that they are using this for their overall MPG rating, as I had noticed a difference in mileage when I started shifting from 1-4 intentionally, but to be forced to do it seems insane.
I imagine there are many people not aware of this “feature”. When I bought my car, the dealership let me take it by myself for a few hours, and had this occurred during my ride, I may not have purchased it, thinking there must be something wrong with it.
To let the driver know what is going on, a message displays when the feature activates to remind you that the transmission wants you to shift to fourth gear.

It is not just Corvettes with this feature. My Camaro SS has the feature as well. And as JerryU accurately stated, it helps GM avoid the Gas Guzzler tax, otherwise the tax adds over $1,000 to the cost of the car. And it has been used for quite a few years now to help improve fuel economy.

I have an eliminator installed on both cars, which I did soon after taking delivery. No issues. You still get the warning message when the feature activates, but, you are not locked out of second.
JerryU (12-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Old 01-12-2020, 10:00 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 297 Posts

I've only had my base 19 since 12/26 and it's only activated a few times but what a pain in the s--. Problem is it always did it in traffic and as someone mentioned you go into 4th at <1000 rpm. The engine is really well done but it doesn't accelerate well that way. First you screw around cause the shift feels like crap, then you finally get the gear, find you can hardly get the car to go, I usually shifted into 3rd, and all these seconds worry if I am going to get rear ended. SO I ordered this kit and initially had a real hard time finding it. It's all camouflaged by the insulation sleeve. This is a pic taken after I pulled the sleeve away from the trans along the harness.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/, on Flickr
It will move just far enough to expose the connector. I made a small hook from a piece of heavy coat hanger wlre to pull on the release. Then it was maybe 2 minutes to reinstall everything. BTW, I did this w/ the rear of the car as high as my jack would take and stand as a safety measure. The connectors were a perfect match to the car. Thanks Southern Car Parts.
JerryU (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 PM
Dirté Drnek
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea what this CAGS bs is? I got a new 19 gs and around town I just go from 1,3,to5. I find the gears are way too close if you don't skip. But I still have no idea what the shift dingle dongle eliminator is.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 AM
Ornery
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I installed them in my 2001 ZO6 back in 2000 and recently in my 2019 GS M7. First thing I did when I bought both cars. I hate CAGS forcing me to skip gears and the override (by basically breaking the circuit with plugs) is simple to do and easy to install if you have a floor jack and jackstands.

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!