C7 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C7 products, services and promotions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:14 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator

Also called CAGS Defeat

Do you hate the 1-4 skip shift installed on the C7 Manual Transmission? This little device will eliminate that annoying issue.

Our corvette skip shift kit will allow you to disable the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) feature of your C6 Corvette's 7-speed gearbox. This kit comes with the correct connectors, plugs and seals to protect your wiring harness and CAGS solenoid to allow you to re-connect the harness for full CAGS function, if you so desire. This kit is designed for use a C7 Corvette only. Will not fit C5 or C6 Corvette. No permanent modifications are required to install this product.

In stock here: http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...or-p-5789.html

Here's a picture of the C7 Corvette CAGS unit installed our our shop Stingray...

Old 04-26-2014, 12:28 PM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by southerncarparts

Also called CAGS Defeat

Do you hate the 1-4 skip shift installed on the C7 Manual Transmission? This little device will eliminate that annoying issue.

Our corvette skip shift kit will allow you to disable the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) feature of your C6 Corvette's 7-speed gearbox. This kit comes with the correct connectors, plugs and seals to protect your wiring harness and CAGS solenoid to allow you to re-connect the harness for full CAGS function, if you so desire. This kit is designed for use a C7 Corvette only. Will not fit C5 or C6 Corvette. No permanent modifications are required to install this product.

Here's a picture of the C7 Corvette CAGS unit installed our our shop Stingray...

Do you tie the wires from the plug tightly to the hole on the side of the transmission or do you just make a loop out of the tie through the hole in the transmission and use it loosely as a guide support for the plug and wire to hang through? The reason I ask is I am concerned if you use the tie to strap it to the hole in the transmission, the heat from the transmission could melt the wires. I am also wondering if you remove the barrel type heat shield that covers the plug when it is normally plugged into the transmission.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM
louloumax
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our C7 skip shift eliminator kit comes with everything you need to install without modifications. We did have some issues with the incorrect skip shift being sent for the C7's but that issue has been fixed.

Once you are under the car installation is simple. Here is a video on the install process.

C7 Corvette CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator Installation Video.
very disappointing video.
come on. shine some light into the area that you are filming. show the switch BEFORE the wire is disconnected, so we can see where it is on the tranny. and show us the harness instead of a big hand in front of the camera.
sure, if you have the car on a lift yoiu can hunt and peck to find the right wiring, but on your back under low clearance, better pix would help a alot. thanks.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 PM
c7neb
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by louloumax
very disappointing video.
come on. shine some light into the area that you are filming. show the switch BEFORE the wire is disconnected, so we can see where it is on the tranny. and show us the harness instead of a big hand in front of the camera.
sure, if you have the car on a lift yoiu can hunt and peck to find the right wiring, but on your back under low clearance, better pix would help a alot. thanks.
Do you access the connector from the driver's side or passenger's side? Can I assume that it is a connector near the top of the tranny?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by c7neb
Do you access the connector from the driver's side or passenger's side? Can I assume that it is a connector near the top of the tranny?
Yes and yes...drivers side close to the top of the transmission....
Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did mine and it the drivers side top connector. the tie wrap does not have to be tight, just needs to secure the excess wires. Really the hard part is getting under the car.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM
c7neb
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Yes and yes...drivers side close to the top of the transmission....
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I have yet to experience the 1-4 shift concern. Granted I only have a couple hundred miles, but each jaunt I've only driven 10 miles. Each outing I have never had the skip shift. I've tried to make it do it, and it simply wouldn't. I tried being very easy on the pedal, tried to shift in the range and it goes into second every time. I was going to purchase this quick and easy mod when I first took delivery, but odd that I've never had the skip shift activate yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by beachcomber
I have yet to experience the 1-4 shift concern. Granted I only have a couple hundred miles, but each jaunt I've only driven 10 miles. Each outing I have never had the skip shift. I've tried to make it do it, and it simply wouldn't. I tried being very easy on the pedal, tried to shift in the range and it goes into second every time. I was going to purchase this quick and easy mod when I first took delivery, but odd that I've never had the skip shift activate yet.
Lucky you....your driving habits must be better than mine...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Just ordered one for a soon to be delivered C7 !!!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8ful
did mine and it the drivers side top connector. the tie wrap does not have to be tight, just needs to secure the excess wires. Really the hard part is getting under the car.
Gr8ful, Getting under car..
Old 08-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered mine

Also called CAGS Defeat

I placed my order on your site yesterday. jc
Old 08-22-2014, 02:13 PM
CdnVetteOwner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the dealership install this for you if you ask or do you have to go elsewhere if you don't do it yourself?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by CdnVetteOwner
Will the dealership install this for you if you ask or do you have to go elsewhere if you don't do it yourself?
The dealership will do it, nothing to worry about there.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by daytonagary
I have a friend with C7 and his has never gone into the shift eliminator mode. He drove around for half hour yesterday trying to make it go into that mode and it never did.engine was warm, shifting at the proper mph and low throttle placement as described was necessary for it to kick in. After 2000 miles of driving it has never been on in his car. I bought and eliminator for a Corvette I just ordered but he says I will never need it if I have same experience as he has. Any input here???
I haven't noticed it either, but then I like hearing the exhaust so I don't try for 2nd at really low rpms.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:23 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Are you guys planning to be at Corvette Expo in Sevierville TN October 17-18??
Old 10-26-2014, 07:52 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by stingraymyway

Are you guys planning to be at Corvette Expo in Sevierville TN October 17-18??
Sorry we were not.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:26 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
I may be paranoid but as Andy Grove, former CEO on Intel wrote “Only the paranoid survive!” The problem with the C7 skip shift is it doesn’t happen as much as prior Vettes, I’ll explain. My biggest concern driving today (having never had an accident with another car in 50+ years of driving) is folks using their cell phones and worse texting while driving! In fact in SC we just passed a law saying if the car is moving you can’t text-still see a lot doing it! This actually happened to me: we have little heavy traffic where I live. Had not encountered skip shift since I am usually past 15 mph when shifting to 2nd. However got caught in some bumper to bumper traffic. Started off and shifted early before I had to stop again. Tried to shift to 2nd and couldn’t. Didn’t think about skip shift! I fumbled before I realized what happened and went to 4th, by this time the car slowed much more than I expected. Had the person behind me started just after me then received a text message and like Pavlov’s Dogs responded to the sound as many do, they would not have expected me to slow prematurely and could have been in my rear!
I have enough to do to watch for “texters and cell phone users” who are distracted from being attentive about driving and don’t need something to make it worse! As I recall the law in SC, you can still text if the car is not moving! So at a stop light those who are conditioned to respond to the sound of their cell phone (like the bell Pavlov used with his dogs) can still legally scan their phone and worry about what the trivia their friend wrote rather than pay attention to driving!
A CAGS Eliminator is a safety device, in my opinion!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Also called CAGS Defeat

Old 11-05-2014, 10:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I may be paranoid but as Andy Grove, former CEO on Intel wrote “Only the paranoid survive!” The problem with the C7 skip shift is it doesn’t happen as much as prior Vettes, I’ll explain. My biggest concern driving today (having never had an accident with another car in 50+ years of driving) is folks using their cell phones and worse texting while driving! In fact in SC we just passed a law saying if the car is moving you can’t text-still see a lot doing it! This actually happened to me: we have little heavy traffic where I live. Had not encountered skip shift since I am usually past 15 mph when shifting to 2nd. However got caught in some bumper to bumper traffic. Started off and shifted early before I had to stop again. Tried to shift to 2nd and couldn’t. Didn’t think about skip shift! I fumbled before I realized what happened and went to 4th, by this time the car slowed much more than I expected. Had the person behind me started just after me then received a text message and like Pavlov’s Dogs responded to the sound as many do, they would not have expected me to slow prematurely and could have been in my rear!
I have enough to do to watch for “texters and cell phone users” who are distracted from being attentive about driving and don’t need something to make it worse! As I recall the law in SC, you can still text if the car is not moving! So at a stop light those who are conditioned to respond to the sound of their cell phone (like the bell Pavlov used with his dogs) can still legally scan their phone and worry about what the trivia their friend wrote rather than pay attention to driving!
A CAGS Eliminator is a safety device, in my opinion!
This recent article in Road & Track: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/car-c...racted-driving reinforces that sometimes there is a real reason for being paranoid!
The author claims 9 people die every day and about 1200 are injured from distracted driving! As they note, people know it is dangerous and still do it! Unlike a DUI which has a social stigma, texting and driving does not!
I’m convinced, particularly since the skip shift doesn’t happen often with the C7, when it does you’re not expecting it and stumbling can put the fellow following you in stop-and-go traffic, who is distracted, bumping into your rear end! Cheap insurance and you can shift were you want when you want!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-05-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!