C7 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C7 products, services and promotions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian M
I love my 2015, it is an amazing car, my skip shift does activate during heavy traffic, I remember the first time it happened I thought something was wrong with the car, I quickly learned on this forum what was actually happening. My question is: is it bad to let the car do what it is suppose to do and that is just go to 4th gear, then if necessary, I then usually down shift to 3rd and then 2nd? This is what I have been doing especially in heavy traffic, usually the skip shift doesn't come on because under normal conditions I am shifting at a higher rpm. Just curious if I am doing any harm to this awesome vehicle? Thank you to all experience corvette guys out there, like I said this is my first vett and I am really enjoying it.
IMO the skip shift only helps GM get a few more tenths mpg "in the EPA specified driving cycle!" Shifting at that low an RPM can't help the engine! So shifting to 4th then going back to 2nd or 3rd just leaves more time for the person behind you in bumper to bumper traffic, who started going forward after you did, expecting you would accelerate, to look down to see who just sent the message to their cell phone! As you do something no logical they are in your rear!
GM did not put that in because it helps the car! Most normal folks folks driving a Corvette will seldom, if ever, shift at that low rpm from 1st gear! Especially if they see the traffic moving in front of you and assume you'll accelerate but instead you're shifting to 4th at a low rpm, then shifting to another gear with car continuing to coast! If that was their girlfriend calling -they may be distracted for the few seconds needed to hit you! I'd suggest getting a "skip shift eliminator" and if nothing else avoid the chance of a rear end collision!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-23-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

IMO CAGS was a bigger problem on the C6 than the C7. I hit that 1– 4 shift lockout often on my C6 before I added an eliminator. I ordered an eliminator for the C7 before the car even arrived but drove the car for a few weeks before installing it.
CAGS kicked in only once, in heavy traffic. Still, it’s an unexpected annoyance when it happens.

But… maybe I’m just driving more aggressively in the C7(?).
Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Globeman
IMO CAGS was a bigger problem on the C6 than the C7. I hit that 1– 4 shift lockout often on my C6 before I added an eliminator. I ordered an eliminator for the C7 before the car even arrived but drove the car for a few weeks before installing it.
CAGS kicked in only once, in heavy traffic. Still, it’s an unexpected annoyance when it happens.

But… maybe I’m just driving more aggressively in the C7(?).
The C6 skip shift did happen more often. However that is why I think it is even more important! When it first happened to me in my C7, I was in heavy traffic (which we have infrequently) and fumbled around thinking I missed a shift gate. In addition since I had my C6 in early '08 many more folks unfortunately have a conditioned response to a phone beeping! They MUST look down to see who's texting or calling! If it happens just after I have taken off and they followed expecting my car to be accelerating and it's not - could get rear ended! Frankly distracted drivers are my biggest concern when driving today! They are like Pavlov's dog-they can't help themselves, it's become a learned conditioned response!

Like Pavlov's Dog, Unfortunately For Some Folks Having to Look at a Beeping Cell Phone in a Learned Conditioned Response!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-23-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:05 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Does the Skip shift only work in ECO mode? What about Track Mode ?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
It's the one in the bottom picture. The top one is pointing to the shift shaft! I have a Z51 and have another cover on the bottom, which is the temp sensor. However it the connectors fit you got the right one!
Is this a correct picture for the C7 CAGS plug location?

Regards,
Dave K.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:29 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave Kitch
Is this a correct picture for the C7 CAGS plug location?

Regards,
Dave K.
Did not read thru all the old posts so I may have already posted but it's a PDF of my CAGS install: http://netwelding.com/Skip_Shift_Eliminator.pdf

Some devices look different and the one I have has the two plugs tied togeter with wire. Somce don't. It's not needed. The resistor in mine is in the end that plugs into the harness to the computer. the other plug stops dirt from getting into the plug on the trans. If in two parts, that's fine.

I also have a Z51 and the bottom plug, as you note, is for a trans temp sensor. The upper plug on the drivers side goes to the shifter blocking pin solenoid, which is what you want.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
Does the Skip shift only work in ECO mode? What about Track Mode ?
Nope, it works in all modes. Would not be a problem if it only worked in ECO mode, since I never use it!

This all has to do with the EPA required drive cycle to measure mpg. If you look in the Owner's Manual at suggested shift points for best economy that is probably similar to what they use.

Note there is no shift to 2nd and 3rd since skip shift would active if shifting out of 1st at the recommended 17 mph! The 4th to 5th shift is at 25 mph; 5th to 6th at 40 mph and 6th to 7th at 45 mph.

Can't imagine driving that way!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Damian M
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Nope, it works in all modes. Would not be a problem if it only worked in ECO mode, since I never use it!

This all has to do with the EPA required drive cycle to measure mpg. If you look in the Owner's Manual at suggested shift points for best economy that is probably similar to what they use.

Note there is no shift to 2nd and 3rd since skip shift would active if shifting out of 1st at the recommended 17 mph! The 4th to 5th shift is at 25 mph; 5th to 6th at 40 mph and 6th to 7th at 45 mph.

Can't imagine driving that way!
I haven't installed the CAGS yet, many times I skip shift into 3rd instead of 4th and I haven't had any issues. Is anyone else doing this? Is this bad for the engine, I know I am not lugging the engine, just curious. This has been working for me without the CAGS, this is why I haven't installed it yet.
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:56 PM
RichinCincy
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't installed the CAGS yet, many times I skip shift into 3rd instead of 4th and I haven't had any issues. Is anyone else doing this? Is this bad for the engine, I know I am not lugging the engine, just curious. This has been working for me without the CAGS, this is why I haven't installed it yet.
Thanks.
I do the exact same thing. If you're not lugging the engine, no harm is being done.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.
At 17 mph shifting from 1st to 4th puts the engine at ~750 rpm! That to me is lugging but what skip shift forces only for GM to optimism MPG when running the EPA specified driving sequence! It has no other logical reason!

Shifting to 3rd at that speed brings it to ~1100 rpm which is better but still not where I would operate the engine.

If you install CAGS device and shift to 2nd at 17 mph that is ~1500 rpm, much better IF you are going to shift out of 1st at that low of a speed!

I would shift out of 1st at a higher speed and avoid the forced shift altogether. That is what I normally do. However in bumper to bumper traffic if shifting at 17 mph or less it is far better for the engine and responsiveness, IMO to shift to 2nd. That is the reason I put this inexpensive device on my C7 as I had in my C6! I'll pick which gear I want to be in! If shifting out of 1st at 30 mph perhaps a shift to 3rd may be the most logical under certain circumstances.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-19-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Damian M
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichinCincy
I do the exact same thing. If you're not lugging the engine, no harm is being done.
I agree, I always thought the CAGS you had to go from 1-4 but that isn't the case, it won't go to second but it easily goes into third.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2016, 06:32 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
How do we tell exactly if we got the C7 one?
Other suppliers sell these, and I have wondered the same thing. I have seen some that not only have different plugs, but measure a different resistance..
I would like the supplier to confirm if a 12 ohm resistor is correct for the C7.
I am concerned that the plugs may be modified to "fit", but the resistance is not correct.

Could someone that purchased one for a C7 check the resistor value before installing it?

Obviously, there are variations of the connectors that work with the center partition...and the manufacturers are modifying the connector instead of using the correct ones.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-14-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Hmmmmm...when someone wants to verify what suppliers are really selling, no one wants to answer.
Guess the only way to know for sure if vendor is selling correct bypass is to measure the true resistance of the CAGS solenoid on a C7. Not really very difficult to determine.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-16-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Will this work with the c7 z06?
Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Isn't there one of these that simply plugs into the aux port?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Will this work with the c7 z06?
Originally Posted by mschuyler
Isn't there one of these that simply plugs into the aux port?
Just buy one that says it fits your year! The plugs are slightly different from the C6.

Can't get much easier to install. On "All Girls Garage" today one young lady said she was installing one for the reason I will, I'll have the car jacked up to replace brake pads! In her case they were installing an exhaust! Took her 2 minutes, real time!

Just reach up to the top of the trans, remove the OEM plug and replace it with one supplied that keeps out dirt. Then install the other supplied plug on the one just removed that goes to the computer. It just snaps together and has the resistor. Use the supplied wire tie to keep it from hitting anything!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-15-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:04 PM
ralphmagin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone recommend an installed is South Florida?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Old 07-01-2018, 12:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

See post #157 from a Forum Vendor I have used them-excellect.

Buy one from them that fits a C7 and it's as simple as unplugging a connector, inserting what you see and using a wire tie to keep it tight to the trans! Any location with a lift can do it. Most dealers will as well. In fact next time you have an oil change slip the tech $20 bucks and they will do it! Just stand in the back of the open door in the service bay and ask the Tech!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-01-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:19 PM
c7neb
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphmagin
Can anyone recommend an installed is South Florida?
My Chevy dealer did it for me during an oil change.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Bohacker
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Was the location of the plug moved on 2019s? I've searched visually and by feel and cannot find it on the transmission. Thanks.

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!