Sponsored by:

Comp Seats - Updated Assessement(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got 1200 miles on mine now and still love them. I find them to be very comfortable. Longest drive was about 100 miles of mostly canyon and they were great. I'll be making a vegas run beginning of April which is 290 miles each way. I'm still on the fence as to whether I will take the vette or the mini but if I take the vette, I will be sure to update this thread. That said, I'm sure my opinion won't change. I liken them to a fine wine. They get better with time as they break in.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Fugitive C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched from Gt to comp seats

I had the GT seats, they are nice, but i was always worried about that plastic thing with the chrome plating breaking (as many have had happen). On my birthday (seriously, but not on purpose) my dealer called and asked me for my seats. Seems they had a 3lt coupe with the comp seats, and an older gentleman wouldn't by the car with the comp seats. So, now i have the comp seats and he has the GT seats

I was able to look at them sitting next to each other, pick them up, everything, This is what i noticed:

1) the seat bottoms look and feel exactly the same, i bet they are
2) The comp seats felt noticeably lighter when i carried them, but, it might have been because they essentially have handles in the back
3) the side bolsters opened wider on the GT seats than the comp seats
4) I'm thin but have broad shoulders, the comp seats seemed to open up where my shoulders were better (yeah sounds weird but whatever)
5) the comp seats might have been a little firmer, but i did not notice a comfort difference on my back.
6) the side bolsters for your torso area are greatly improved, i like to have those closed in on me, and these felt more comfortable when i did that

On to the looks

Yeah yeah you seen the front, i wont comment on it, besides the damned chrome thing not being there, and some people get really excited about the carbon fiber look. But what is really cool for me (mostly because i have a convertible) is that the back isn't some dull plastic, it's painted!!! The seats now match those 2 black "stripes" on the convertible lid. I dont think this would noticeable in a coupe, and might even be a bad thing because the paint probably scratches when crap bumps into it that you store in the back. When you have a vert, it's quite an improvement.

All in all, i believe it's worth the price, for me, the comfort level is over-all higher (because i like the side bolsters so much) and the look is perfect for the car.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:08 AM
thespymaster
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
I've got 1200 miles on mine now and still love them. I find them to be very comfortable. Longest drive was about 100 miles of mostly canyon and they were great. I'll be making a vegas run beginning of April which is 290 miles each way. I'm still on the fence as to whether I will take the vette or the mini but if I take the vette, I will be sure to update this thread. That said, I'm sure my opinion won't change. I liken them to a fine wine. They get better with time as they break in.
I just arrived by back to Arizona from NCM , 2200 miles in 3 days and now give the competition seats a 5 ! I had rated them previously an 8 for comfort , but they are not meant for long trips period!

Having went from 20 degrees to 85 degrees in the past 3 days, the cooled seat function makes the boys feel happy
Old 03-08-2014, 02:59 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thespymaster
I just arrived by back to Arizona from NCM , 2200 miles in 3 days and now give the competition seats a 5 ! I had rated them previously an 8 for comfort , but they are not meant for long trips period!

Having went from 20 degrees to 85 degrees in the past 3 days, the cooled seat function makes the boys feel happy
I was wondering how you would rate them after your trip. That's a heck of a drive that very few get the opportunity to do. Give them a month or two to break in. They do soften up however for me, 2200 miles in any seat short of a plane is low on my score card. Then again, I bet that was a great trip short of the weather.

I've sat in the GT seats (never had any road time) and they are undoubtedly softer and most certainly more comfortable on long drives. My 300 mile (each direction) Vegas run twice a year is my idea of a long drive these days. So far I really like the comp seats buts its easy to love them coming out of the C6. I'm sure if I had decent seat time in the GT seats, I'd be less biased.

Last edited by slief; 03-08-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:13 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
That's only because they don't want to hear the whining from people who buy them for looks and don't want a "true" sports seat

I regret not getting them. The GT seats are great and I really like them but I wish I opted for the competition seats in retrospect.
You and me both!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Fugitive C7
I had the GT seats, they are nice, but i was always worried about that plastic thing with the chrome plating breaking (as many have had happen). On my birthday (seriously, but not on purpose) my dealer called and asked me for my seats. Seems they had a 3lt coupe with the comp seats, and an older gentleman wouldn't by the car with the comp seats. So, now i have the comp seats and he has the GT seats

I was able to look at them sitting next to each other, pick them up, everything, This is what i noticed:

1) the seat bottoms look and feel exactly the same, i bet they are
2) The comp seats felt noticeably lighter when i carried them, but, it might have been because they essentially have handles in the back
3) the side bolsters opened wider on the GT seats than the comp seats
4) I'm thin but have broad shoulders, the comp seats seemed to open up where my shoulders were better (yeah sounds weird but whatever)
5) the comp seats might have been a little firmer, but i did not notice a comfort difference on my back.
6) the side bolsters for your torso area are greatly improved, i like to have those closed in on me, and these felt more comfortable when i did that

On to the looks

Yeah yeah you seen the front, i wont comment on it, besides the damned chrome thing not being there, and some people get really excited about the carbon fiber look. But what is really cool for me (mostly because i have a convertible) is that the back isn't some dull plastic, it's painted!!! The seats now match those 2 black "stripes" on the convertible lid. I dont think this would noticeable in a coupe, and might even be a bad thing because the paint probably scratches when crap bumps into it that you store in the back. When you have a vert, it's quite an improvement.

All in all, i believe it's worth the price, for me, the comfort level is over-all higher (because i like the side bolsters so much) and the look is perfect for the car.
I've only had the opportunity to sit in the comp seats at the dealer. The side bolsters were WAY to narrow for me. My reference frames are C4,5,6. I was kind of surprised actually that at the widest setting they still were "too" tight....at least for a daily driver. Sounds like from your description that the GT's will be much more my style. Have a car on order with GT's so this is good news. Still checking the dealer to see when they'll have GT's available to sit it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MachSilver08
I've only had the opportunity to sit in the comp seats at the dealer. The side bolsters were WAY to narrow for me. My reference frames are C4,5,6. I was kind of surprised actually that at the widest setting they still were "too" tight....at least for a daily driver. Sounds like from your description that the GT's will be much more my style. Have a car on order with GT's so this is good news. Still checking the dealer to see when they'll have GT's available to sit it.

Did you try adjusting the bladders in the side bolsters using the little adjustment switch on the side of the seat? That little adjuster can be a bit tricky to figure out as it it adjusts both lumbar and the side bolsters. That said, the side bolsters are a bit more restrictive on the comp seats compared to the GT seats.

Last edited by slief; 03-16-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

The bolsters in the GT seat are the same width as the competition seat... the main difference is the depth of the bolster. There was a diagram showing this somewhere... hopefully with less depth, the GT seat will work for you
Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
Did you try adjusting the bladders in the side bolsters using the little adjustment switch on the side of the seat? That little adjuster can be a bit tricky to figure out as it it adjusts both lumbar and the side bolsters. That said, the side bolsters are a bit more restrictive on the comp seats compared to the GT seats.
I tried the best I could given the several minutes I had to sit in the car. Certainly likely I never had them adjusted "properly" for me.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I tried the best I could given the several minutes I had to sit in the car. Certainly likely I never had them adjusted "properly" for me.
Probably. I openly admit that I'm "big in the middle" and I've not had any issues with my comp seats. Took me about 5 miles down the road to get adjusted to where I like them.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
GM discourages people from buying them...as I always say your money your car
Where have you seen GM discouraging people to buy them? Doesn't make any sense for GM to put out an option and then discourgage people from getting it.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 29 Posts

Couldnt be happier with the decision to go with the Competition seats...attached are images of my ride. Think GM's initial decision to steer people towards the GT seats unless they are tracking the car was misguided. The fact is that having both types of seats available offer some options to folks of different anatomy and perceptions of comfort that have little to do with whether the car will be on the track.

After having spent some time in the Comp seats recommend folks who have no intention of tracking the vehicle not immediately default to the GT seats but instead experience both options before taking the plunge.
Attached Images    
Old 04-13-2014, 12:37 PM
twokrx7
Cruising

Sat in both and found the GT seats perfectly fine for a daily, the comps would not be my choice for a daily ... The comp seats' side bolsters were very tight on me and reminded me of past highly bolstered seats that I had in OEMs as well as aftermarket seats. The adjustability on the comps helped on the showroom floor but these comps seats are still a bit tight for my body size and suspect long trips will be tough for my old body, not allowing me to adjust weight from right to left cheek etc. In previous cars I quickly got acclimated to the highly bolstered seats but for long drives it required frequent breaks to avoid discomfort.

I will say the comp seats would be my pick for stock seats on autoX or track or weekend terrorizing of local streets, the addl bolstering would be very welcome in the twisties and the seats are otherwise as comfortable as the GT. An aftermarket seat would be much better than the comps for this, but at some point egress becomes an issue and the comps would be a good middleground.

Just an opinion ... everybody's *** is probably different
Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

My take been in both seats the foam cushion in seat bottom and seat bottom side booster is of a denser foam harder if you will in the competition seat, both seats are uncomfortable for me to tight on the thigh. I have some issues with my thighs and find both make them hurt I hope that I can overcome so do want a c7 z06 if price is not out of this world. My current 2012 Z06 with 26000 miles (take a lot of trips) is very comfy for me I've had one car that I hated and that was the wifes 04 G35 coupe seat made me hurt all the time.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 04-13-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 PM
C7VY
Advanced

Default Ie

Wow someone still uses IE...
:-)

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Aside from me adding the highlighter circle to focus your attention, this is a straight, unretouched snapshot of my Internet Explorer window for this thread. Fitting tab abbreviation, don't you think?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Fugitive C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by z51vett
My take been in both seats the foam cushion in seat bottom and seat bottom side booster is of a denser foam harder if you will in the competition seat, both seats are uncomfortable for me to tight on the thigh. I have some issues with my thighs and find both make them hurt I hope that I can overcome so do want a c7 z06 if price is not out of this world. My current 2012 Z06 with 26000 miles (take a lot of trips) is very comfy for me I've had one car that I hated and that was the wifes 04 G35 coupe seat made me hurt all the time.
z51vett
Doug
Seat bottoms are the same, its the back thats any different. (keep in mind that i had the gt seats for 2k miles and now have the comp seats, even had them sitting next to each other). For me the Comp seats have more shoulder room, the GT seats still have side bolsters up higher, and i could feel them in the back of my shoulders, the comp seats have more space up there, and i love the comfort and side bolstering of them. If your thin, you'll love the Comp seats, if your too wide in your middle for the seat, you'll want the gt seats. My several hundred mile long trips tell me that for my body shape, the comp seats are more comfy, but someone with a spare tire would likely disagree.

P.S. While i maintain that the seat bottoms are the same, I'll agree with you that the seat bottoms aren't terribly comfortable..

Last edited by Fugitive C7; 04-13-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: additional statement
Old 04-13-2014, 02:40 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Seat bottoms are the same part, the frame is the same part, its the back thats any different.

P.S. While i maintain that the seat bottoms are the same, I'll agree with you that the seat bottoms aren't terribly comfortable..
Think again. Go look at the pics side by side and take note of how many sections are in each seat. Also, the material (foam) is different under the cover.

Get notified of new replies

To Comp Seats - Updated Assessement(s)?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Fugitive C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Think again. Go look at the pics side by side and take note of how many sections are in each seat. Also, the material (foam) is different under the cover.
I had my GT seats out and sitting right next to my comp seats, they look exactly the same from every angle that i looked at. According to a post someone had where they were changing their seats to comp seats by purchasing the parts that are different through the dealer, the parts book lists only the back part as different. Have you looked to check that (he could be wrong), or do you just "know" ?
Old 04-13-2014, 02:51 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

I had my GT seats out and sitting right next to my comp seats, they look exactly the same from every angle that i looked at. According to a post someone had where they were changing their seats to comp seats by purchasing the parts that are different through the dealer, the parts book lists only the back part as different. Have you looked to check that (he could be wrong), or do you just "know" ?
I know.

Yeah, those look the same to someone blind, not paying attention or can't count to 4. Sounds like someone showed him a faulty parts book.

Believe me, in the 3 months of waiting on constraints I researched the seats very well since I ordered them.

Last edited by HalfMoon; 04-13-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:52 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Okay guys i have the story on both seats. I have had the regular seats for 10k miles on my first C7. They seat feel really good and yes I would take on a 1000 mile run. Now i have the Comp seats and 2500 miles. The comp seast i would only ride for about 900 miles. on because they are a little harder but nothing to worry about. I think the comp seats hold you in place and provide a couple of more inches in legroom, am 6'2 225.

Now if the car had same legroom as the C6 I would just be tickle pink. the legroom is the only issue of entire car.

Quick Reply: Comp Seats - Updated Assessement(s)?