Sponsored by:

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,072 Likes on 6,171 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Living on a ranch, I use mine daily. No where, including under a car cover (or in the house) is safe from the amount of dust here.

I was just getting ready to wash one of the heads. As I'm hearing about wax fibers, I'm guessing maybe that isn't a good idea?
From Autogeek:

Care and Cleaning: The California Car Dusters work best when they’re dirty. Just shake them out before and after each use. Should your duster ever become so dirty that it requires an actual cleaning, just wash it in cold water with a mild detergent (like Woolite) and let it air dry.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

I will say if the car is DIRTY--- bird spots, mud marks, etc...you need a wash....this is for dust. My car sits in a parking garage and is clean, just gets a layer of light dust on it from some nearby construction. This is why it's called a DUSTER.....it gets dust and does not scratch, but will scratch if you're asking too much of it. It' s not a magic product.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had mine 14 years. Works as good as or better than when new. Highly recommended.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have used them for years but never on an unprotected car. I always build up 2-3 coats of Zaino first, then the duster just glides over the surface never actually touching the paint. In No. Texas when the wind blows it picks up the dust from 100s of miles away, it seems, and deposits it all on your car. I wipe it off every day and have never seen any scratching.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,709 Likes on 2,917 Posts

I've been using the same on since 2004 on all my cars, works great. Between than and spray detailer, it really helps extend the time between washes.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:30 PM
canyon vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
I've been using the same on since 2004 on all my cars, works great. Between than and spray detailer, it really helps extend the time between washes.

I've had my C7 Premier edition since early December with about 1500 miles on the car to date. I have never washed the car once, between the duster and the quick detailer it hasn't been necessary.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Sin City
I have for years. ...

Pros: It works really well. It picks up dust and does the job.

Cons: The fibers are embedded with a kind of wax to pick up the dust. The wax can (particularly with a new one), leave a residue that actually attracts MORE dust.

The best ones are the ones with wooden handles. Their are cheaper ones with plastic.

My suggestion is to not use a knock off. These guys do make the best one of their class. It's not a great tool for cleaning a car but it is great for a quick touch up on a dusty or windy day.

Leave it always in the sleeve. If you don't, the wax may leech out slowly over time into fabrics.

My feeling is... they actually get better with age. Just shake out the dust far away from the car and put it back in the sleeve.
Agreed on all points.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I use 2 California Dusters, a smaller one for the Brake Dust on the Chrome Wheels and the 2nd larger duster for the paint. I have been using them for years.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM
FOOTR 1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wood handled one aways left the residue on the car. It wont come near the c7 .
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I will say if the car is DIRTY--- bird spots, mud marks, etc...you need a wash....this is for dust. My car sits in a parking garage and is clean, just gets a layer of light dust on it from some nearby construction. This is why it's called a DUSTER.....it gets dust and does not scratch, but will scratch if you're asking too much of it. It' s not a magic product.
Glen,I agree with all of the above.Have you had issues with dark colors in direct sun.I have owned black and dusters for years.I've noticed shade only dusting on black or dark.It cuts down on scratching when paint temperature is cooler.Am i making sense here?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

Dunno.....Just really got my first one a month or two ago… I will say it will leaves marks if you don't follow the directions and lay it out for 48 hours on newspaper before you use it afirst time and then the first two/three times you use it, it will leave a little bit of paraffin marks that instantly come off with a microfiber

now it's perfect I really like it
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta
How many use one?

Pros/Cons?
I have used the same ca duster for 10 years. Never been washed.
3 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, 2 Vettes, 1 BMW, 2 MB, and on my wife's and son's cars. I use the large one with the wooden handle ( red cloth )
Fantastic -never a problem with scratches or anything.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

One of the best products ever for detailing a fine car.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by FOOTR 1
My wood handled one aways left the residue on the car. It wont come near the c7 .
It still has to much of the paraffin embedded in the fibers?....Give it another day or two in the newspaper...
Old 02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Personally, these dusters will never touch another car that I own. Living in Arizona you would think a duster would be convenient and they are until you notice all of the micro scratches all over the car that you only see under direct light. I'm too detail conscious to live with that. For most people they are fine, for me I would rather let a little dust accumulate until i can properly wash and wax, than potentially drag something across the paint that could scratch it.

I keep a bottle of Chemical Guys quick detail spray and a bag of micro fiber cloths with my car instead. Not a perfect solution but good for bug guts and road grime when I don't have time to give a full wash.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM
I8URRICE
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 108 Posts

Been using these for several years,however i usually change it after 2 years ( overkill).I will only use it when there is light dust on the car but is otherwise clean ie no built up dirt,bird poop etc.
Never had any issues except when new it leaves some of the red fabric dust behind.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm about as lazy as they come, and this things is simple and easy to use. I love it, and have for years.

Get notified of new replies

To California Duster

Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Dunno.....Just really got my first one a month or two ago… I will say it will leaves marks if you don't follow the directions and lay it out for 48 hours on newspaper before you use it afirst time and then the first two/three times you use it, it will leave a little bit of paraffin marks that instantly come off with a microfiber

now it's perfect I really like it
Guess it needs a BREAK-IN period.Got to be gingerly with it to or the sun will show you wasn't.That's not a good thing. or
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Not impressed

Leaves some parafin streaks even following the "break in" procedure. NEVER use it when the finish is hot, parafin (which we all know is a wax) will leave bigger streaks because its melting.
Not a fan of running anything over the finish of a vehicle with any dust or dirt...
I only clean with water and car soap. Dry with an electric leaf blower.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 02-24-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for years. When it gets very dirty, I throw it into the washing machine then let it air dry. After drying, I rub all the fibers really well with "Gulf Wax" and it's like brand-new again.

Quick Reply: California Duster