Sponsored by:

Again ZR1 vs C7!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Default Again ZR1 vs C7!

Now that I have more seat time in both cars.
The ZR1 came with 2 year old gas and I switched the heavy chrome wheels out to some mono forged.

Which along with a fresh tank of 92. Runs totally better than when I got it!

I drove the Z51 C7 for a week then switched back to the ZR1.
Then Switched back again. The ZR1 comes out again tomorrow. With 60* and no rain coming.

Handling the Z51 C7 does so well even with less tire. The solid feel and tight steering with the real stiff platform. Is noticed somewhat on tighter turns. Home run for GM they will sell a lot of them. Way ahead of the old base C-6.

Easy to tell the new Zo6 will have better handing at the track.
No question!
But that said!

The ZR1 is one hell of a lot faster and I don't think even the ZO6 with the 7spd and current gearing bests the ZR1. On the street races
From the less power to the short 1st gear.
The Zr1 tranny is huge advantage for highway runs with the tight spaced gears
The race is done for the C7 before it starts.

I spoke too early about how a ZR1 runs.

Judging from the C7 7spd. Which should be the same as the Zo6.
Which is so far seems harder to shift as quickly as the ZR1. The miles on the cars are both under 3k.

The ZR1 drives lighter already than the C7 when the ZO6 comes with 250 pound plus more weight.

Glad I picked up the ZR1 and the C7 both great cars.

AWESOME having both cars to choose to drive.
The C7 is the new kid but with the shear numbers will be around when the Average Joe still hasn't seen the ZR1.
The C7 will make 5 times the numbers of ZR1 's made in 5 years in 2014 alone.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08

The ZR1 is one hell of a lot faster and I don't think even the ZO6 with the 7spd and current gearing bests the ZR1. On the street races
Well if you would allow me to say this: I think that perhaps in the hands of a decent driver the 6 spd auto C7 will better the 7 spd manual by a wee bit (0-60), with that being said the 8 spd auto I'm pretty sure will better the ZR1 especially with the Z06 having a better launch control system.

I think you're kinda speculating a bit on your comparison of the ZR1 to the C7Z but I'm in no means bashing you.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Why would anybody buy a car for how it "street raced"?

There is a 150 hp difference between the two cars, why would anybody expect anything different in acceleration. It is like comparing apples and oranges.

One thing is true about cars, no matter how fast your car is somebody will have a faster one. Useable HP is the name of the game.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

WHAT!!! I cannot believe that the ZR1 is faster than a base C7... that is just so crazy and unexpected that it blows my mind

In all seriousness, it's great to hear you like the handling of the C7. On a road course, the C7 Z06 will be unbeatable and I would bet they are closer in a straight line to a ZR1 than you are currently giving credit... getting the power down and the A8 will be huge. In any event, only time will tell.

Last edited by gthal; 03-07-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Now that I have more seat time in both cars.
The ZR1 came with 2 year old gas and I switched the heavy chrome wheels out to some mono forged.

Which along with a fresh tank of 92. Runs totally better than when I got it!

I drove the Z51 C7 for a week then switched back to the ZR1.
Then Switched back again. The ZR1 comes out again tomorrow. With 60* and no rain coming.

Handling the Z51 C7 does so well even with less tire. The solid feel and tight steering with the real stiff platform. Is noticed somewhat on tighter turns. Home run for GM they will sell a lot of them. Way ahead of the old base C-6.

Easy to tell the new Zo6 will have better handing at the track.
No question!
But that said!

I spoke too early about how a ZR1 runs.

Judging from the C7 7spd. Which should be the same as the Zo6.
Which is so far seems harder to shift as quickly as the ZR1. The miles on the cars are both under 3k.

The ZR1 drives lighter already than the C7 when the ZO6 comes with 250 pound plus more weight.

Glad I picked up the ZR1 and the C7 both great cars.

AWESOME having both cars to choose to drive.
The C7 is the new kid but with the shear numbers will be around when the Average Joe still hasn't seen the ZR1.
The C7 will make 5 times the numbers of ZR1 's made in 5 years in 2014 alone.
Nice review of cars in hand.

With that said I think it is premature to compare to the C7 Z06, first and foremost GM has already stated the C7 Z06 has out performed the ZR1 at Milford. Also GM has stated the present HP is a estimate and the chief engine engineer has stated there is more HP in the engine and will be fully tuned by production. With that said I do not believe the ZR1 will match it in any measurement. Granted the ZR1 is a great car, but as we see even with the base, progress in technology brings improvements.

Get notified of new replies

To Again ZR1 vs C7!

Quick Reply: Again ZR1 vs C7!