C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't it be cool if the C7 exhaust stayed as loud as it is when it first starts?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Wouldn't it be cool if the C7 exhaust stayed as loud as it is when it first starts?

Dang it sounds awesome when it starts cold in the garage in the morning. I would love it to stay that loud all day what about ya'll?
The following 2 users liked this post by gixxerbill:
kitesurfer (12-06-2016), thrilled (12-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Dang it sounds awesome when it starts cold in the garage in the morning. I would love it to stay that loud all day what about ya'll?
Did you get performance exhaust?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I'm pretty sure the NPP exhaust starts with the baffles open.
S.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM
F4Topgun
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want it to stay loud all the time, just turn the mode adjustment off. Baffles will stay open all the time.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by F4Topgun
If you want it to stay loud all the time, just turn the mode adjustment off. Baffles will stay open all the time.
Yes I have NPP and I have baffles open. But for the first minute or so when it first starts it's louder.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, there definitely no way to be stealthy when starting the car. If you want to attract attention its great but when I go to work at 7am my 93 yr old neighbor gets blasted out of bed since my garage faces his bedroom.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:22 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Yeah, there definitely no way to be stealthy when starting the car. If you want to attract attention its great but when I go to work at 7am my 93 yr old neighbor gets blasted out of bed since my garage faces his bedroom.
Eh he probably needed to wake up anyway. He can always take a nap later.
The following users liked this post:
tlippy (12-06-2016)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by F4Topgun
That doesn't seem to work. I absolutely notice times the baffles still close (in Tour mode at least)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM
hifi875
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

does it have the fuse like the c6z did?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Yes I have NPP and I have baffles open. But for the first minute or so when it first starts it's louder.

What OP is trying to say is that after the car warms up, the exhaust note changes, which it does on my car too.

NPP is always open / set to OFF but something with the metals or something along those lines make the exhaust quiet down after 1 minute or 2.

Has nothing to do with the valves opened or closed.
The following 2 users liked this post by runutzzzzz:
FLATJ (12-06-2016), pdiddy972 (12-06-2016)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

What OP is trying to say is that after the car warms up, the exhaust note changes, which it does on my car too.

NPP is always open / set to OFF but something with the metals or something along those lines make the exhaust quiet down after 1 minute or 2.

I disagree. Even when set to OFF, there are times the butterflies still open and close, at least on my car.

It seems to be pegged to throttle position, vehicle speed and engine revs. I need to do a more empirical assessment of the details however but it is quite obvious the NPP isn't "open all the time"
bjones7131 (12-06-2016)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Duke/Earl
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Put it in Touring before turning it off. Will start quiet.

The C7 flapper valve is electronically controlled in lieu of vacuum controlled. In sport mode the computer is constantly opening and closing the flapper. In track mode it is open more of the time, but still not constantly.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-29-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-07-2014, 12:05 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I disagree. Even when set to OFF, there are times the butterflies still open and close, at least on my car.

It seems to be pegged to throttle position, vehicle speed and engine revs. I need to do a more empirical assessment of the details however but it is quite obvious the NPP isn't "open all the time"
While you are correct, not in the case of what OP is stating.

With the setting on "OFF" The valves are open at idle.

As to what you are referring to, yes my valves close at certain RPMs especially low ones in 4th gear.

OP Is stating it would be nice to sound as raspy, throaty and deep as when you initially start the car.

Go listen for yourself and listing to the sound levels decrease with engine temperature.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Pete43
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I 'll bet if you took off your mufflers to gain access to the butterflies on the engine side of your mufflers, there would be 2 screws holding each butterfly valve in place. (I think it's the same on the tailpipe end butterflies too)If you removed the butterfly valves you would get loud exhaust all the time and no check engine light. ( if you were to remove the wire to the electric motor that operates the valves)
Then you could still use your in car controls (tour, sport, track...) to make the car quiet or loud. But in V4 mode you would here the 4 cylinder drone sound when your exhaust was set to loud.

My brother and I did this on the throttle bodies on our ZX-14's. It helped a lot on the low rpm torque.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

While you are correct, not in the case of what OP is stating.

With the setting on "OFF" The valves are open at idle.

As to what you are referring to, yes my valves close at certain RPMs especially low ones in 4th gear.

OP Is stating it would be nice to sound as raspy, throaty and deep as when you initially start the car.

Go listen for yourself and listing to the sound levels decrease with engine temperature.
My experience is the same. My Engine Sound Management = OFF.

Cold startup is awesome. Then it ramps down very noticeably after about 15-20 seconds over a span of just a few seconds.

There are 2 sets of valves on the NPP: ones forward of the muffs and ones in the tailpipes. Non-NPP has only the forward valves. I believe these front valves are to manage backpressure in certain conditions as well as taming 4-cylinder fart mode.

I also notice that even though my NPP is set to "open" all the time, there are throttle conditions (low RPM tip-in on upshifts especially) where the sound is quiet and then something "opens" at about 1700 RPM-ish. So I -think- this is the effect of the forward valves.

This tip-in behavior does -not- change with drive mode selection. At idle and most acceleration conditions, it's clear that my rear NPP valves are open.

I also wonder if this behavior is different between A6/M7; mine's M7.

Last edited by xp800; 03-07-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Wouldn't the exhaust sound louder in the garage just like it does going through a tunnel than it does when you're in open space?
AdventurePoser (12-06-2016)
Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I bet the engine mixture, timing, etc. is different during cold start because the cats need to be heated quickly for EPA compliance. This would account for some of the difference in exhaust note.

Cold start "sounds" can be humorous. My 2006 GMC Duramax pickup has a fast cold warmup mode if it is below 32 degrees. Unlike gas engines the diesel starts at its 600 RPM base idle but after about 30 seconds it will begin to ramp up 100 RPM at a time until it finally reaches around 1200 RPM. While this is going on the turbocharger exhaust vanes are moved to their most restrictive position and the Allison transmission is used to load the engine but its output shaft is still locked. It sounds like a little jet engine on takeoff at this point. When my daughter was about 3 I had buckled her in her car seat in the back and then ran inside to grab the cell phone I had forgotten. During this time the engine went into its fast warm strategy and Anna thought the truck was leaving without me

Get notified of new replies

To Wouldn't it be cool if the C7 exhaust stayed as loud as it is when it first starts?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Corsa's on my C6, the same thing is noticeable, it is definitely louder idling for about the first 60 seconds.

My non-expert theory is that it likely has something to do with some parts expanding as they heat up.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Nicky43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is always louder at startup as well. It does not get any quieter when starting even if when I had put the car in economy mode before shutting it off.

I think it has to do with the sudden crashing of all the air molecules inside the pipes as the engine starts and then slowly calms down as the air molecules all get to moving in the same direction out the tailpipe. Just a theory.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I bet the engine mixture, timing, etc. is different during cold start because the cats need to be heated quickly for EPA compliance. This would account for some of the difference in exhaust note.
I would go with this explanation. Same thing happens with my C6 LS3 w/o NPP. They run richer on cold start-up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wouldn't it be cool if the C7 exhaust stayed as loud as it is when it first starts?