Sponsored by:

Extreme Oil Leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Don't you find it odd that when the dealer FIRST looked at the car(and cleaned it up) they said they didn't find any leaks, yet under further questioning by the owner at a later date, they then said they replaced the oil filter because it had a faulty gasket?

They didn't find the faulty gasket on the oil filter during a second trip to the dealer for oil being all over the engine compartment, and they originally claimed there were no leaks found during their exhaustive investigation as to why there was oil all over the engine and the engine was two quarts low on oil.

Also odd that within minutes after the first start of the car at Bowling Green it was run to a high RPM(and high oil pressure) on the chassis dyno and the oil filter gasket didn't fail under the exact conditions laid out by the dealer to the OP upon further questioning.

Every time I've had my car(s) in for warranty work, I signed off that the work had been done and I received a copy of the paper work that described the work performed and the parts replaced. If the dealer had replaced the oil filter and added two quarts of oil, it should be on the paperwork he received after the warranty work was completed during the original visit to the dealer. If the OP will see if his paperwork shows that a new oil filter was installed, I will consider the case closed. But.......if it doesn't show that.....the story is not over, IMHO.
Originally Posted by JoesC5
This is what the OP posted.....

"Here's the crazy part. The car is no longer leaking. They cannot find a leak anywhere. They filled the oil full, tried different RPM ranges, and the engine didn't lose a drop of oil.

They said they called into the higher up GM service center (whatever the corporate service place is called) to report the issue and to see if they can get any ideas on what caused this. They'll keep the car another day and see if they can reproduce the leak. If not, it will be released."
Now, why would the dealer say that and then take it all the way to the GM service center if they had found the oil filter gasket faulty and replaced it? There's a lot of BS being slung around and it's not from the one's being accused of it.
The guy has driven over 100 miles on the car now without a problem, throughout the rev range. If there truly was something wrong with the car, it didn't magically heal itself. Maybe the dealer screwed something up on the PDI and blamed it on a gasket. I can't prove that they didn't nor can anybody. However, for a car to lose that amount of oil and now all of the sudden it's fine indicates to me that it was something silly and similar in seriousness to a loose gasket and not a catastrophic engine failure. His engine would be toast by now.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
.... My curious side still would like to know what really happened. ...
I believe we all agree on this point Dan.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:59 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
If it is such a terrible car, why are you here?
A lot of us wonder why he is here as well? Is his goal to save the world from C7s? He looks at every opportunity to debase the C7, GM and every one of us who bought a C7. There are no widespread reports of C7s losing oil. It was one car out of over 20,000. We may never know what happened. We do know it wasn't some catastrophic fail. Hopefully, the OP will have no further problems and the dealership will follow up to insure that the problem is solved. GM customer service should also follow up on this issue and offer the OP something for his trouble.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 03-13-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Nicky43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Then why make the assertion without data to begin with?
BINGO!

Seeing as most people are more likely to post problems than to post all the good experiences, using any forum to measure the performance/failure statistics of any auto is really pretty stupid and displays an absolute lack of understanding about how forums work.

Many people who have no interest in reading forums daily will only turn to a forum when they are seeking answers to a problem they may have. That FACT alone would skew any statistical data toward the negative side.

I've had my C7 for 850 miles and haven't had a single problem. This car does have one feature that can sometimes get annoying. Almost everywhere I go, people have to stop me as I walk towards or away from my car to tell me how beautiful it is. That's NOT an exaggeration.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Nicky43
Instructor

Joe,
I think you've been on Skid Row too long. It's sad that the road you have chosen has brought you to this state of affairs. You obviously don't like GM at all and seeing as this is a forum concerning a particular GM car I can't understand why you would waste your time on this forum. Is your life really that miserable and empty. That's not a question. Your board name tells me all I need to know.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

The guy has driven over 100 miles on the car now without a problem, throughout the rev range. If there truly was something wrong with the car, it didn't magically heal itself. Maybe the dealer screwed something up on the PDI and blamed it on a gasket. I can't prove that they didn't nor can anybody. However, for a car to lose that amount of oil and now all of the sudden it's fine indicates to me that it was something silly and similar in seriousness to a loose gasket and not a catastrophic engine failure. His engine would be toast by now.
What no one knows is what the Chevrolet dealer knows. To assume that it was confined to a loose oil filter gasket sealing point is fine. However, tracing the OP's writings as JoeC5 did, seems to arouse suspicion, and questions. JoeC5 is doing just that. I don't see why that's an issue. Do you?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
What no one knows is what the Chevrolet dealer knows. To assume that it was confined to a loose oil filter gasket sealing point is fine. However, tracing the OP's writings as JoeC5 did, seems to arouse suspicion, and questions. JoeC5 is doing just that. I don't see why that's an issue. Do you?
Sure. However, if there was a real problem with the engine and it was spewing oil like that, there is no way the dealer could have fixed it in that time frame. It would be a new engine installation. So, we can deduce that it was something that was likely overlooked at PDI and either there was a gasket leak of some nature or the dealer made a mistake and is embarrassed. Regardless, the fix was obviously easy in nature and the engine is fine. This is not indicative of a problem with C7s overall.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Nicky43
Instructor

Sure. However, if there was a real problem with the engine and it was spewing oil like that, there is no way the dealer could have fixed it in that time frame. It would be a new engine installation. So, we can deduce that it was something that was likely overlooked at PDI and either there was a gasket leak of some nature or the dealer made a mistake and is embarrassed. Regardless, the fix was obviously easy in nature and the engine is fine. This is not indicative of a problem with C7s overall.
Total agree. I used to be an auto mechanic back a long time ago and I've had plenty of cars in my 62 years. I'm certain this was a silly error like a loose oil line or a bad filter gasket seal. I'm sure the first thing the dealer did was to tighten everything related to the oil and even if it may have felt tight obviously it wasn't. The OP may have been BSed by the dealer not wanting to admit they found a loose oil line.

I'm certain it was nothing major. This happened at 11 miles definitely the period where a mfg error like a loose oil line would surface. If it was serious, more serious symptoms would have surfaced by now.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

As I wrote - I'm good with it as is. JoeC5 made some great points, but all the OP gave us is what he had, and since the OP is happy with the outcome. So am I.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM
John C.
Intermediate

That's the first thing you've said that makes sense, glad to see you're making progress!
Someone proud to be associated with Acura? I guess you can find everything on the internet!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John C.
Someone proud to be associated with Acura? I guess you can find everything on the internet!
Would you like to explain yourself or should we just assume? I'd prefer the former. Based on your 12 posts in 6 mos. I can expect a response in about two weeks.

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 03-13-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM
John C.
Intermediate

Would you like to explain yourself or should we just assume? I'd prefer the former. Based on your 12 posts in 6 mos. I can expect a response in about two weeks.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

But Acura has been adrift product-wise for years. The company stopped trying a long time ago. They're cars for people who don't like cars.

And they need to stop trotting out the NSX concept every auto show. At this point it's like watching some pudgy housewife show you her tattoo to prove she was cool once.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky43
Total agree. I used to be an auto mechanic back a long time ago and I've had plenty of cars in my 62 years. I'm certain this was a silly error like a loose oil line or a bad filter gasket seal. I'm sure the first thing the dealer did was to tighten everything related to the oil and even if it may have felt tight obviously it wasn't. The OP may have been BSed by the dealer not wanting to admit they found a loose oil line.

I'm certain it was nothing major. This happened at 11 miles definitely the period where a mfg error like a loose oil line would surface. If it was serious, more serious symptoms would have surfaced by now.
One of the first things I asked at the beginning of this thread...."Is it a Z51". I asked because the Z51 has the dry sump system with it's related oil lines that the base LT1 does not have. The OP said it was not a Z51 so that leaves out a lot of pressurized places(such as an oil line to the reservoir or to the oil cooler) that could leak oil. One is the oil filter and the other is the oil pressure sensor. What other places are pressurized that could spray oil to the outside of the engine that you have found in your 62 years?

And, if the dealer found such a leak, why didn't he say that on the repair slip? In fact the dealer originally said he could not find a leak and later, after additional questioning, said they replaced the oil filter because it had a faulty gasket. If there was a leak somewhere on the engine, then it was the dealer's responsibility to inform GM of what they did to repair the car under warranty, not BS the owner of the car. How do you believe that GM comes up with TSB's or make running changes in the car's design, if they don't get truthful feedback from their dealers.

I hope the OP doesn't have any more problems of this nature with his car, but I sure wouldn't call it "case closed" after 100 miles of driving.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JoesC5,
When would you call the case closed? After a 1000, 5000 or maybe 10000 miles. Just wondering when would you be comfortable that it will not spew oil again. I do think there are some discrepencies with the dealers explanation.
As a former Service manager at a BMW store, all work comleted under warranty had to be on a workorder for the dealer to get paid. The OP should have paperwork that that reflects everything done. Just saying.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8ful
JoesC5,
When would you call the case closed? After a 1000, 5000 or maybe 10000 miles. Just wondering when would you be comfortable that it will not spew oil again. I do think there are some discrepencies with the dealers explanation.
As a former Service manager at a BMW store, all work comleted under warranty had to be on a workorder for the dealer to get paid. The OP should have paperwork that that reflects everything done. Just saying.
I believe that is exactly what I said in several posts. There is a paper trail.

Who knows how long it might take before I would call the case closed. I sure wouldn't at 100 miles if I believed that I was being BS'd by the dealer as to what they found and what thy did to correct the oil leak.

I didn't feel the case was closed on the possibility of my LS7 dropping an exhaust valve at 28,000 miles and 5 years, until I replaced the heads with aftermarket PRC265 heads made up of 100% all new non GM components. Just because I didn't drop a valve during the first 28,000 miles, didn't mean it wouldn't happen later, as there is no magic cutoff mileage that you reach and can never drop a valve after you reach that number.

I drove my Z06 for the last several years with the thought that I could end up on the side of the road a thousand miles from home at any time. Even though I had the 5 year warranty that would have replaced my engine, I still didn't want to drop a valve. Two days after my warranty ran out, new heads were on my Z06. At least now I can drive my Z06 and not worry as to when the other shoe is going to drop.

I feel for the OP as I don't believe his dealer has been truthful with him, thus how does he know the "case is closed" or if(when) it might happen again. Sure he has a warranty, but does he really want to always wonder if today is the day his car will leave him stranded on the side of the road.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:21 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8ful
JoesC5,
I wouldn't exactly call it 'case closed' either. At this point I would still be checking the oil level every couple of days/drives. Inspecting for leaks etc. just as a check. I would call it case closed completely after the first oil change.

I think it is possible that it could have been something like a loose dip stick, or pressure from overfill blowing past dipstick. The dealer may have changed the oil filter just to put the customer at ease knowing 'something' had been done. Or perhaps, after further inspection and test driving, it really was the cause.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Car is out on the road, driving fine.

Put 100 miles on it the past two days without incident.

The amount of attention this car gets is insane. I've yet to see another C7 out on the road here, and people gawk and stare everywhere I go.

Coworkers are all coming up to me this morning asking me questions and giving me compliments.

I absolutely am in love with this car. My supercharged Mustang is a blast to drive, but it is nothing like this car. This is a dream come true.

Great to hear!hopefully the rest of your ownership will be trouble free...love the car

Get notified of new replies

To Extreme Oil Leak!!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 PM
bnall40
Racer

C7Pimp
I had almost the same thing happen to a full size 1969 Chevy and the problem was a leaking water pump. Only difference .... It did not "heal" itself. And that was a different era!
In Alabama the dealer must make three attempts at resolution. I had an unbelievable battle with Ford and ultimately got a new T-Bird. Lemon laws work but prepare for a hassle!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 PM
bnall40
Racer

Yes, the leaking water pump was leaking oil!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:33 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Hey he can go to a dealer and have the vin pulled to see what shows up. If nothing than dealer never wrote it up if they did what did they write up.
z51vett
Doug

Quick Reply: Extreme Oil Leak!!