C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna mount for the C7

Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 PM
KenHorse
Obama, the worst POS ever
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR - Obama taking credit for Trump's economy is like Hillary taking credit for Monica's BJs
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18
Default Antenna mount for the C7

After much head scratching, I was finally able to figure out a path to route the antenna cables out the back of the C7 to the license plate antenna mount. And yes, the rear-view camera still works just fine and there is access for the trunk release button as well

This mount uses the license plate mounting holes to secure itself, is made polished stainless and is made by a local member of a Portland area Corvette club. This particular mount I used was the one from my C6 that I had a buddy mill out to clear the camera and allow for access to the trunk release.

The CB antenna has a quick release so when I don't need it, it's not there. The other antenna is the VHF/UHF one for my ham radio rig.
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 PM
george vee
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Looks good
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Waytofastvette2006
CF Senior Member

Ok I'm sure you have your reasons. But why ?? we have this thing called a cell phone and with the c7 all you have to do is push the button on the wheel

But if your going to mount a semi truck antenna on a c7 I think you did about as good of a job as it's ever going to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waytofastvette2006 For This Useful Post:
RPK (10-09-2018)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM
KenHorse
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR - Obama taking credit for Trump's economy is like Hillary taking credit for Monica's BJs

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006 View Post
Ok I'm sure you have your reasons. But why ?? we have this thing called a cell phone and with the c7 all you have to do is push the button on the wheel

But if your going to mount a semi truck antenna on a c7 I think you did about as good of a job as it's ever going to be.
CB is for club cruises (hence the quick disconnect so it doesn't have to be on the car if I don't need it) - we use it to coordinate. And no, I HATE the FRS crappy radios.

VHF/UHF is for me

Last edited by KenHorse; 03-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Cruiter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

On order: Torch Red Z51

Our club (and most clubs) use the inexpensive walki-talki. They're the size of your mic, no connected antennas, digital, and can be charged while riding with the USB port. They can go several miles on flat land and two - three miles in the mountains. Works well. FOr longer distance there's the cell phone as someone already mentioned. Also they don't need to be mounted somewhere and then hooked to a power source.

Just saying .....
Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
CB is for club cruises (hence the quick disconnect so it doesn't have to be on the car if I don't need it) - we use it to coordinate. And no, I HATE the FRS crappy radios.

VHF/UHF is for me
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 PM
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

VHF/UHF is for me
Ken,

Your 2M/440 antenna may work just about as well inside given the RF transparency of most of the C7 materials. A magnet mount antenna (like the little MFJ flexible twin band jobs which are quite short) stuck to a small plate of magnetic metal sitting in the hatch area should work fine even if the whip has to bend its head slightly. That would keep you from needing any outside antenna except when you need communications with club members.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:01 AM
KenHorse
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NSC5 View Post
Ken,

Your 2M/440 antenna may work just about as well inside given the RF transparency of most of the C7 materials. A magnet mount antenna (like the little MFJ flexible twin band jobs which are quite short) stuck to a small plate of magnetic metal sitting in the hatch area should work fine even if the whip has to bend its head slightly. That would keep you from needing any outside antenna except when you need communications with club members.
I had the dual band antenna on my C5Z, C6 and now C7. I don't think it detracts from the looks, leaves no permanent marks and works fine.

Besides, all hams think antennas are beautiful!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:38 AM
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the dual band antenna on my C5Z, C6 and now C7. I don't think it detracts from the looks, leaves no permanent marks and works fine.

Besides, all hams think antennas are beautiful!
Careful Ken, that is probably the thought process the guy pictured below got started with years ago There was a very old guy with an even more hideous setup that used to show up at area hamfests and I always thought of him as "porcupine guy" with all of the spikes sticking out from every surface of the car.

Seriously, you did a very neat installation
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 AM
stevelischynsky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe the OP wants to also tune into truckers that still use CB. Why have the truckers not switch over to FRS?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 AM
KenHorse
Support Corvetteforum!

Careful Ken, that is probably the thought process the guy pictured below got started with years ago There was a very old guy with an even more hideous setup that used to show up at area hamfests and I always thought of him as "porcupine guy" with all of the spikes sticking out from every surface of the car.

Ahaha....I've seen cars exactly like that. Fortunately for me (and my wife), I'm not a fanatic. On the other hand.. my house has:

But I'm getting OT here...
Attached Images   
Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM
KenHorse
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky View Post
Maybe the OP wants to also tune into truckers that still use CB. Why have the truckers not switch over to FRS?
Nah...just for club drives and cruises
Old 03-22-2014, 12:41 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,179 Times in 855 Posts

That guy should be ashamed of himself. He really should get that dent in the rear fender repaired.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:25 AM
atsugidad
CF Senior Member

After much head scratching, I was finally able to figure out a path to route the antenna cables out the back of the C7 to the license plate antenna mount. And yes, the rear-view camera still works just fine and there is access for the trunk release button as well

This mount uses the license plate mounting holes to secure itself, is made polished stainless and is made by a local member of a Portland area Corvette club. This particular mount I used was the one from my C6 that I had a buddy mill out to clear the camera and allow for access to the trunk release.

The CB antenna has a quick release so when I don't need it, it's not there. The other antenna is the VHF/UHF one for my ham radio rig.
Question on your Ham Rig. My Vette is 2016 Coupe Z51. I am also Ham Operator (KI6VFW) looking to add VHF/UHF but not CB. What antenna is that? Any ground plane or bonding added and where? How is it working for you - Range etc? What Radio you using - mainly, what is your max power out and are you having any interference issues (if so - on what Band) with onboard Vette computers / electronics? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by atsugidad; 08-17-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 AM
gliot1
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

VHF/UHF is for me
Our club has tried a number of options as well, but nothing works as well as a CB on a group trip with 20+ cars. For my C6 I made my own bracket which allowed me to detach the part of the bracket that shows when not doing long club outings. I will be making one that fits my C7 now!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Michael Griffin

Use the Zello app on your phone. Works Great Lose the antenna forever.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:09 AM
KenHorse
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael Griffin View Post
Use the Zello app on your phone. Works Great Lose the antenna forever.
Unless you don't have an internet connection (which is very common in many areas)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM
joemessman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,178 Times in 798 Posts

You could use your cell phone as a CB radio with an app called Zello. Works like a champ! Most car clubs use that now for the last few years. CB radios are fun. But give Zello a try and log into the 21st century. Just kidding.
And you won't have to fasten all that crap to your car.
Woops! I see someone mentioned that app above me.

Last edited by joemessman; 10-11-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by gliot1 View Post
Our club has tried a number of options as well, but nothing works as well as a CB on a group trip with 20+ cars. For my C6 I made my own bracket which allowed me to detach the part of the bracket that shows when not doing long club outings. I will be making one that fits my C7 now!
Ron-
The horizontal tab on an antenna bracket tends to block your rear camera even though the tab on the Mid America kit is offset to the left side a little. You'll want the tab as far to the left as possible, left edge of the tab should be even with the left edge of your plate frame or even further (unless your rear camera is different from mine).
I used the Mid America kit and modified the bracket to move to the left. Making your own is a better idea.
Running the cable out the back is a real PITA, Vern C. and Forrest R. helped me do mine.
Enjoy that new car!
Jim

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-11-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:43 AM
KenHorse
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joemessman View Post
You could use your cell phone as a CB radio with an app called Zello. Works like a champ! Most car clubs use that now for the last few years. CB radios are fun. But give Zello a try and log into the 21st century. Just kidding.
And you won't have to fasten all that crap to your car.
Woops! I see someone mentioned that app above me.
As I said above, not if you don't have an internet connection. No internet, no Zello...period

And believe it or not, cell phone coverage is NOT everywhere

Last edited by KenHorse; 10-12-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:02 AM
Grand Slam
CF Senior Member

In California, and I assume other states, it is illegal to use a walkie-talkie because it is not hands-free. It is legal to use a CB - probably because of the high usage by truck drivers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antenna mount for the C7

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: