Sponsored by:

Paint Quality = Unacceptable

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Paint Quality = Unacceptable

So today I opened an official Customer Service Request w/ GM re: the paint quality on my new C7 rec'd via motor freight 3/21. The orange peel is EXTENSIVE to put it mildly. It should be a downright embarrassment to anyone associated w/ the GM production process. The OP is present on ALL panels, horizontal as well as vertical.

Those of us who have owned previous vettes have become conditioned to accept mild imperfections in the paint as this has been an ongoing issue for years. I wrongly assumed that GM would have at least made some strides at addressing this issue and therefore felt somewhat comfortable in buying a car from a forum dealer without personally inspecting it. NOT SO! Those who purchase from out of town dealers without personal inspection should be especially careful.

I will report back to this forum as to the final disposition of this issue w/ GM, but suffice it to say my disappointment is such that this will be my last GM product without some assistance. At the price of these cars, we have a right to expect the same paint quality as Toyota or Hyundai...

Last edited by beepster; 03-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Mdbrown9
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Pictures?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Mdbrown9
Pictures?
And/or color?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:12 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Can't post pics...but color is NRB. Trust me, its really bad. I'm not a newbie at this....
Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

GM will probably offer you a car cover for 10% off list price, so you can cover the car and not see the paint.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM will probably offer you a car cover for 10% off list price, so you can cover the car and not see the paint.
Thanx for bringing a little levity into this issue! Seriously though, this is pivotal for me, since this is my 4th vette and have been on this forum for 7+ yrs. I've read all the moans and groans over the years re: this issue so I'm not just nitpicking here. THIS IS REALLY BAD.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Everyone knows orange peel is a issue with Vettes and most all cars.. We all know that before we buy... Chevy's are mass produced cars.... Also many cars with metal panels have an electric charge going through the panel to help the paint stick to the surface... Vettes do not have those metal panels, they have composite body panels which may also affect the way paint sticks to the surface... There is going to be orange peel on the cars until the end of time... Everyone knows this.

If you don't like it, just hire a body shop to sand your clear coat down very thin so there is less orange peel... but be aware your clear coat will be thinner and probably wont have as much protection from scratches and chips.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (12-02-2015)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Baron7700
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen 7 other c7's in person besides mine. All have extensive orange peel over the entire car. I think its just something on the new cars. Mines black, but ive seen the peel in every color other than white.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:51 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
So today I opened an official Customer Service Request w/ GM re: the paint quality on my new C7 rec'd via motor freight 3/21. The orange peel is EXTENSIVE to put it mildly. It should be a downright embarrassment to anyone associated w/ the GM production process. The OP is present on ALL panels, horizontal as well as vertical.

Those of us who have owned previous vettes have become conditioned to accept mild imperfections in the paint as this has been an ongoing issue for years. I wrongly assumed that GM would have at least made some strides at addressing this issue and therefore felt somewhat comfortable in buying a car from a forum dealer without personally inspecting it. NOT SO! Those who purchase from out of town dealers without personal inspection should be especially careful.

I will report back to this forum as to the final disposition of this issue w/ GM, but suffice it to say my disappointment is such that this will be my last GM product without some assistance. At the price of these cars, we have a right to expect the same paint quality as Toyota or Hyundai...
I am guessing our NRB's were painted about the same time, mine came off the line about the 4th, VIN is 17422. I wont see mine till the 4th of April when I take delivery at the museum, it will be interesting to see how close our VIN's are and how the paint compares.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have some orange peel on my LRG but no more than on any of my C5s and C6s. Certainly not enough to complain about to GM. Perhaps some colors are more prone to it than others? I wish The OP could show a pic of his worst panels so we can compare it to ours...
Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I have some orange peel on my LRG but no more than on any of my C5s and C6s. Certainly not enough to complain about to GM. Perhaps some colors are more prone to it than others? I wish The OP could show a pic of his worst panels so we can compare it to ours...
Yep, pics would be good

I've PM'd with OP last week, so I know it's an issue, but would like to see how bad it is.

My buddy just got his a few weeks ago in NRB, and it's fine.

One would think the plant QC could inspect panels and reject those that are bad.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Pics when you get a chance so we all can see how bad it is.

Hopefully you don't get the same engineer as I had look at my car where they said it was Designed that way.....
Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably in a hurry to get them into production....
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster

I agree totally..I saw my first C7 at a dealer 3 weeks ago it was Cyber Grey and the paint sucked....I have a Z06 on order and if it comes in as bad as the one I saw I simply won't accept it and the dealer has already been told that..they even admitted the paint is bad on the Vette there's a green Camaro right next to it and it's fine.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Warrior
First year corvettes are always tricky at best. My advice to you is don't screw around with the car leave it as is. I'm sure it was inspected at the plant and I'm guessing it's as good as it's going to get until the plant fixes the painting process. Get a free extended warranty out of them and move on and enjoy the car.
"first year corvettes"? the first corvettes were produced in 1953, hence as regards painting this is a 60 year production issue. the first year thing really applies to significant technology shifts. accordingly, you can conclude, as many have, that this is a well known problem within gm, which has been evaluated at senior levels. they are well aware of the problem as well as the costs of fixing it, and consciously made the decision that the benefit to be derived from the cost (hence called "cost/benefit analysis")does not justify the investment.

remember that 4-5 years ago gm was well into insolvency, and bailed out by you and me. it would seem quite logical that the "bail out" did not account for all problems that needed fixing--e.g., painting processes--and that it would be naive to assume that it will get fixed anytime soon. we will never see an analysis of what the government really did, financially or otherwise, and how well our 10 billion was spent, but you can assume that the company is FAR from out of the woods. what you see is what you get, whether you like what you see or not--"good car for the money". really?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I saw a new Jeep on the road, the other day, it had an amazing amount of orange peel. Either it was the sun angle or it was really bad. I also am getting Night Race Blue, should be produced in a week or two. I am not going to stress, I purchased this car to use, it is going to acquire road rash anyway. Don't get me wrong, I am hoping for a finish at least as good as my C6 had, about a 7.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:54 PM
DLWIGGINS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. I entered mine in a carshow this past weekend. and more than a couple of times, someone asked if I had collision damage in a certain area. It was embarrassing trying to explain that it came from the factory like that. One of the guys suggested that I should try a carpro denim pad and some cutting compound. He said its a great way to remove OP without wetsanding. May be worth a shot.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Quality = Unacceptable

Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think they use the orange peel to improve on aero dynamics. Much the same way the dimples work on a golf ball work but perhaps opposite so they improve on down force.

OP, I am sorry to hear about your issue. It will be interesting to hear what the dealer can do for you. I know others have addressed the orange peel with some color sanding. Hopefully your situation can be resolved to your liking.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I probably wouldn't mess with the paint at dealer level. I had a car's paint reworked once, afterward it was worse than before. See what GM says/does about it.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BigJoe

Perhaps some colors are more prone to it than others?
Bingo…..

You never notice any orange peel on some colors. Silver and white are bullet proof…..

Lord help that man if he bought black…….

Quick Reply: Paint Quality = Unacceptable