Sponsored by:

The most worthless thing on the C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
another sage observation--completely agree. also, there is something visceral about the view you get from looking at the needle, that "communicates" more about what your speed really means, rather than looking at a single number. the OP is probably a very intelligent and observant individual, but just happens to be wrong about his observation and conclusion on this issue.
I don't think this is an issue between analog vs digital or hard vs. display, I read this as the fact that the gauge is darn near invisible, tucked all the way over there on the left where no one can see it.

lisa
Old 03-30-2014, 12:04 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

another sage observation--completely agree. also, there is something visceral about the view you get from looking at the needle, that "communicates" more about what your speed really means, rather than looking at a single number. the OP is probably a very intelligent and observant individual, but just happens to be wrong about his observation and conclusion on this issue.
I understand where your coming from. However were already there ! The actual gauges that you use are all digital. Yeah the analog
Is there but most never look at it so what's the point ?

I love the little things like the ghost needle that stays at your highest shift point in sport.

This isn't the c4 digital tech. But then again I understand GM trying to appeal to all buyers.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Same goes for a clock.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:50 AM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I have never looked at the Speedo on the left, then again I have HUD.
I agree, it's such an afterthought with HUD! My kids looks at it more than me!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:14 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't confuse digital with LCD. Aviation has gone to LCD based configurable displays, but they still show an image of an analog gauge (which is of critical importance). I agree that the mechanical speedo is pointless when there is already a giant number staring you in the face. Because speed limits are posted in big black and white numbers, I don't think an analog gauge is as necessary for the speed as it is for thing like temps, pressures, RPM, voltages, etc. I would actually like to see a nice mechanical tach in the center, with the speed in the middle of that gauge, and then a fully customizable LCD on either side. But, the current instrument panel is pretty dang good as is.

-T
Old 03-30-2014, 03:28 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
Don't confuse digital with LCD. Aviation has gone to LCD based configurable displays, but they still show an image of an analog gauge (which is of critical importance). I agree that the mechanical speedo is pointless when there is already a giant number staring you in the face. Because speed limits are posted in big black and white numbers, I don't think an analog gauge is as necessary for the speed as it is for thing like temps, pressures, RPM, voltages, etc. I would actually like to see a nice mechanical tach in the center, with the speed in the middle of that gauge, and then a fully customizable LCD on either side. But, the current instrument panel is pretty dang good as is.

-T

Good point about the speed limit signs being digital and our readout being the same, so that works. But info like temps, and pressure needing the analog to put the number in quick relationship to the spectrum.

(One more post for you and you get 3 gold stars!)
Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I use the gauge in eco mod with the display giving you the immediate mpg/V4 mode engagement. That's my default display. If I drive it hard it goes straight to track mode.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:48 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
I use the gauge in eco mod with the display giving you the immediate mpg/V4 mode engagement. That's my default display. If I drive it hard it goes straight to track mode.
Mine stays in track mode... I could care less what my MPG is at any given moment The worse my mileage is, the more fun I'm having...

Last edited by gthal; 03-30-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by gthal
Mine stays in track mode... I could care less what my MPG is at any given moment The worse my mileage is, the more fun I'm having...
Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Going all digital is a big MISTAKE. Study after study in the aviation world has said that analog gages are far faster to read quickly than digital. I think the dash is fine as it is. You have the option of analog or digital, as it should be. Don
I don't know when that observation was supposedly made, or who/how old that segment of pilots were. Today's digital flight displays are far superior to the analog gages of yesteryear. The tapes have trend indicators and different color presentations that give instant awareness of what is happening now and a few moments from now. I grew into the new digital world and transversing back really sucks.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I think some people confuse digital with meaning "just numbers" vs. analog meaning "proper gauges".

When modern cars use all-digital dashboards, that nearly always means that the dash will consist of one large screen, upon which they project analog gauges. Just like the way the center screen on the C7 projects various analog tachometers and the pocket gauges on the left and right, like the OP's photo illustrates.

Another common misconception is that analog gauges are someone more reliable. The reality is that they are not more reliable. I don't know about you guys, but I remember driving a car in college that had a broken gas gauge. I had to write down my mileage so I wouldn't drive empty. My parent' s car developed a bad speedometer. And so on.

All types of dashboards can possibly malfunction, but it's telling that there are not any wide-scale problems reported with digital dashboards anywhere in the industry. And I haven't read a single problem with the C7's center dashboard screen. (The touchscreen system in the center console is a different and unrelated story.)

I hope that future generations of the Corvette have an all-digital dash, because they are really superior in every respect. My wife's Range Rover has an all-digital dash, and it's extremely good and sharp to read. It is much better than analog gauges.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I love looking at a needle and watching it move from 30s to 40s to 50s etc. as you hit the gas- the faster it moves- the better-don't get that from a digital number
Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

backup maybe in case the digital goes out of its mind...??
Old 03-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In general, I do somewhat prefer analog over digital display...especially in my watches. I also like the selectable analog speedo in my DD car over the digital. It is large, spans nearly 360° and the speed can be instantly determined at a glance from the relative position of the needle. That is why analog displays with needles can be so useful. Our minds need only see the position of the needle (or hands on a clock) without seeing the numbers (hours and minutes) and we instantly know what the display is saying.

Most here know that is why gauges in older race cars were set in the dash at crazy angles. If the needles were vertical, all was good. You didn't have to "read and process the numbers". The tach was usually rotated in its mount so that redline was vertical. This was (and still is) very functional.

However, the analog speedo in the Stingray is nigh onto useless. It's hidden way off to the left under the binnacle and as a tall guy you have to look for it. The scale is so compacted with 0-200 mph being only a 190° swing that the difference between legal speed and loss of your license can be as little a 10° swing of the needle, not instantly discernible. Very poorly designed from a functional point of view, but attractive nonetheless, just to fill in the empty space.

Last edited by Rad22; 03-30-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

How do I delete "Previous Destinations" I no longer need?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Radioman
How do I delete "Previous Destinations" I no longer need?
Stop going there.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
backup maybe in case the digital goes out of its mind...??
The analog needle is controlled by same module, most likely if the digital goes out so will the analog

IMO its a passenger seat speedo, my wife can see it.

My vote goes for the hot-wire vent thing being one of the most useless, I read the article on that and thought it was pretty cool - be a lot cooler if it worked lol.

Get notified of new replies

To The most worthless thing on the C7

Old 03-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kp
My vote goes for the hot-wire vent thing being one of the most useless, I read the article on that and thought it was pretty cool - be a lot cooler if it worked lol.
Actually mine works quite well. If you close the hatch with the correct amount of force, it closes for me every time...even with the doors closed.

Last edited by Rad22; 03-30-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Actually mine works quite well. If you close the hatch with the correct amount of force, it closes for me every time...even wight he doors closed.
I have to slam mine, with the window cracked an inch it closes way easier. While I'm sure it does 'work' in some regard its doesnt work enough IMO.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I've changed my mind. It's the Bose "audiopilot" feature. Totally, utterly and completely useless.

Quick Reply: The most worthless thing on the C7