Need Help: C7 fuel door will not unlock

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
Foosh, what size are these plugs?
Really? I always wonder if people are just lazy, or if they really do not even have the mechanical skills to use a ruler?

The hole is rectangular, but the short side is 3/8".
Old 05-20-2017, 11:13 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I never measured. I had a packet of various sizes and picked one with the right sized head. The post portion was too small, so I wrapped a bit of black electrical tape around it.

Bingo. It's been there for over two years now, and the only time I think about it is when a thread like this comes along.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
BevHirz (08-15-2022), justplainjim (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I never measured either, but I have drawers of miscellaneous fasteners lying around, and just found one that worked perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
justplainjim (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
Foosh, what size are these plugs?
They're fairly generic. I just found one laying around the shop, made sure the stem was around the right diameter, then trimmed the head to fit well and stuffed it in.

Easy peasy.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
justplainjim (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

My plan is to remove the entire locking mechanism ... no more possible stuck fuel doors .. and no more annoying clicks and clacks when you open or unlock the car

Last edited by dmhines; 05-21-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:05 PM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default How about the best of both worlds

Understand the simple fix of plug in the hole; also understand of wanting everything to work as advertised; also understand being stuck at some (possibly unsafe) hole-in-the-wall gas station late at night.

I carry a flat tip screwdriver (fits neatly in the tow-hook holder above the battery). I took 2 credit cards (something I would routinely have in my wallet) and slipped them in the forward gap of the fuel door (gap nearest the front of the car, or at the 9 o'clock position looking at the fuel door), then inserted the screwdriver between the cards so as not to nick the paint.

Barely 1/4 turn of the screwdriver and the door popped off, without scratching. The screwdriver then fit into the plunger hole retracting it and fuel door is open.

I'm not against removing the entire lock; just don't want to go thru all that hassle...especially while I'm still under warranty. The plug is simple & easy, but don't want to tempt some jerk with vandalism...had a friend that left his top down in a parking lot and came back to find coke spilled all over his seats. Jerks are everywhere.

My advice: Open the fuel door and slip the painted cover off the hinge so you can see how that fits...and how easy it is. Also open the hinge and cycle the locks several times to observe the locking pin, manually pushing it back in after it's locked so you understand (and reassure yourself) that you're not hurting the mechanism.

Many thanks to the OP for sharing - I would have pried the fuel door off causing some major damage not knowing otherwise.
The following 7 users liked this post by USCG:
Blue Curvette (11-15-2019), Duntov7 (08-16-2020), Highplains (06-03-2019), jimmbbo (01-07-2018), Slynky (10-05-2018), Vette Jockey (08-06-2020), vettetwo (05-24-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "tempting some jerk with vandalism." It seems to me the easiest way to avoid that is by leaving the fuel door unlocked by having a plug in it all the time. You discovered how easy it is to open it anyway, and a vandal doesn't care about avoiding damage when easily prying it open.

There isn't any easy way to put contaminants in the fuel tank given the design of the fueling system. You can't even get fuel in it with a conventional gas can. You have to have a special funnel.
owc6 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:54 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

^^ I agree that it isn't tempting vandalism. The vandal doesn't know the door isn't locked until he tries it and at that point vandalism has already been decided upon.

Protecting yourself from vandalism is difficult and you make some concessions when you prepare for it. For instance, I live in a house with a sliding glass door that anyone can throw a rock through and come inside. Yet I lock the door when I leave. Why? The lock is a layer of protection, albeit a weak one since the door is glass. I feel the locking gas door is a layer of protection.

I see two types of gas tank vandals, the true vandals that wish you harm and the mischief vandals that are looking for a quick joke or show off move for their buddies. The gas door lock won't protect you from the true vandal that doesn't mind ripping your fuel door off to steal your gas or sugar your tank. The mischief vandal may well move on when your gas door won't open.

I have locking gas doors on all my vehicles except my C4. I have a locking gas cap on it. I added a release cable to my C7 gas door so I won't have the problem the OP has had.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 AM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I added a release cable to my C7 gas door so I won't have the problem the OP has had.
This is a solution I am interested in hearing more about. Can you provide detail on how you did this? Pictures may be helpful.
Vette Jockey (08-06-2020)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

^^ I agree that it isn't tempting vandalism. The vandal doesn't know the door isn't locked until he tries it and at that point vandalism has already been decided upon.

Protecting yourself from vandalism is difficult and you make some concessions when you prepare for it. For instance, I live in a house with a sliding glass door that anyone can throw a rock through and come inside. Yet I lock the door when I leave. Why? The lock is a layer of protection, albeit a weak one since the door is glass. I feel the locking gas door is a layer of protection.

I see two types of gas tank vandals, the true vandals that wish you harm and the mischief vandals that are looking for a quick joke or show off move for their buddies. The gas door lock won't protect you from the true vandal that doesn't mind ripping your fuel door off to steal your gas or sugar your tank. The mischief vandal may well move on when your gas door won't open.

I have locking gas doors on all my vehicles except my C4. I have a locking gas cap on it. I added a release cable to my C7 gas door so I won't have the problem the OP has had.
30 years of police work showed me that his statement is correct.

And if you find your gas door damaged or ripped off, a prudent person might go to the trouble of having the tank drained.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:47 AM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm not sure what you mean by "tempting some jerk with vandalism." It seems to me the easiest way to avoid that is by leaving the fuel door unlocked by having a plug in it all the time. You discovered how easy it is to open it anyway, and a vandal doesn't care about avoiding damage when easily prying it open.

There isn't any easy way to put contaminants in the fuel tank given the design of the fueling system. You can't even get fuel in it with a conventional gas can. You have to have a special funnel.
Your choice - I prefer mine to be locked, yet easily opened if the need arises.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Reply to vettetwo: Sure. Here's the link to a previous post I put up about it:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ver-2-0-a.html
It took about an hour but I had already made up ver. 1.0 so I had some previous knowledge and experience.
vettetwo (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Reply to vettetwo: Sure. Here's the link to a previous post I put up about it:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ver-2-0-a.html
It took about an hour but I had already made up ver. 1.0 so I had some previous knowledge and experience.
I don't think cable strength is a problem.

Since you have the plastic tubing as a guide, wouldn't it be better to use a more flexible, high strength, fishing line instead of the steel cable? (you can get 50, 100, even 150 lb test line)

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 05-25-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:51 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

I picked up my 2017 C7 and it doesn't have a locking gas cap, I just press the gas cap and it opens. Did they do a redesign and do away with the locking gas cap?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:23 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fumbling
I picked up my 2017 C7 and it doesn't have a locking gas cap, I just press the gas cap and it opens. Did they do a redesign and do away with the locking gas cap?
Don't think so... Look at the right hand side of the fuel door opening, below the spring loaded latch, and see if there is a hole for the locking pin..

As pointed out by Gearhead, if you are checking the fuel door with the car unlocked, it should be open.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 05-28-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by fumbling
None of the C5-C6-C7 Corvettes have come with a locking gas cap, although a few people have purchased and installed one on the C5 and C6.

Instead, they rely on a locking gas door, which is not quite as secure but a whole lot more convenient.
On the C5-C6, you released the locking gas door with a button on the dash.
In the C7, it's like you mentioned- push on the door and it releases. However, the gas door is locked any time the people doors are locked. So any time the people doors are locked, like when driving, the gas door will also be locked. The thread is about what happens when the gas door fails to unlock when the people doors are unlocked; there is no emergency gas door tab in the trunk like the C5 and C6.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 05-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Z06NJ (09-26-2017)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:25 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Am glad to have run across this thread to avoid any unnecessary surprises when Murphy shows up at the gas pump in the middle of nowhere on a cross country trip with 1/4 tank of fuel and a locked fuel door... Thanks to the contributors who discovered the problem and created some very clever ideas to avoid/fix it.
My '11 Mustang GT has a "push locking" fuel door as does the C7, but Ford did not include a lock, so to protect the gas filler, I bought a locking gas cap - decidedly low tech but has been utterly fail safe...
IMO in future vehicles, GM would do well to either delete the fuel door lock and make a locking cap available, or reinstall the backup release.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help: C7 fuel door will not unlock

Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Am glad to have run across this thread to avoid any unnecessary surprises when Murphy shows up at the gas pump in the middle of nowhere on a cross country trip with 1/4 tank of fuel and a locked fuel door... Thanks to the contributors who discovered the problem and created some very clever ideas to avoid/fix it.
My '11 Mustang GT has a "push locking" fuel door as does the C7, but Ford did not include a lock, so to protect the gas filler, I bought a locking gas cap - decidedly low tech but has been utterly fail safe...
IMO in future vehicles, GM would do well to either delete the fuel door lock and make a locking cap available, or reinstall the backup release.
I can see why GM eliminated the manual release on the C7, but it does not mean it is a good design..
My C5 had a door release that was spring loaded and it just popped open when released.
The C7 actually has an actuator MOTOR that drives the lock closed, and drives it open when reversed. To manually pull the pin back you have to slowly pull it back against the motor and gear drive mechanism, versus pulling back a pin that is just spring loaded.

In the C5 design it also would fail in the closed (locked) position but it was only spring loaded closed, and not held locked by a motor and gears.

The locking fuel door is pretty much worthless anyway... All my other GM cars just have the spring loaded push in plunger that pops the door open and I have never had any problems with someone messing with the fuel..
The fuel inlet on the C7 also has double check valves in the fuel inlet neck which makes it even more difficult to get something to go all the way into the tank, and an anti-siphon grid.(even though the grid can easily be knocked out)

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-07-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 PM
White Speed
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eleventh
Okay, so here's how to fuel your car when the electronic lock fails.

First, verify that you have actually tried to open the fuel door correctly. Car must be recently unlocked. Passive unlock is not sufficient. Use the FOB, press unlock, open the driver door, push unlock on the driver door, verify the red light is off on the door lock button, try to open fuel door, by pushing the back half of the door in, then releasing, it should spring open.

None of that worked for me. When unlocking or locking, I was able to hear that fuel door was 'clicking', a weak noise that didn't sound substantial enough to unlock the door.

Unlike C6, there is no manual release inside the cabin. Ignore OnStar when they tell you to go looking for one.

I'm going to show how to override the fuel lock. I'm sure someone is going to complain that I'm enabling criminals. But anyone that isn't concerned about damaging your car would figure out the same thing in about 30 seconds.

here we go...

1. Pry off the fuel door.

I was just trying to get a peak at the locking mechanism by prying first the top, then the bottom of the door to see in. I used a wooden chopstick to peak in, that leverage was enough to rip off the door.

Here is the fuel door hinge, with the door ripped off.

Attachment 48139351

2. Release the electronic lock 'bolt' by pushing it to the right

Here is the a close up of the door.

Attachment 48139352

the rubberized circle in the upper right is the manual spring latch. (This is the one you push it once it locks, push it again it unlocks). It has the tab labeled with a 'D' just to the left of it. I've forgotten already, but I think if you fiddled with that , it'd release the manual lock.

Below the manual latch, running horizontally, the black cylinder is the 'bolt' for the electronic lock. it can be pushed towards the right, until it is flush with the side of the fuel filler housing. This is what has failed. When the car is unlocked, it should be retracted, allowing the door to open when the manual latch is triggered. Here it is still extended, despite the car being unlocked.

You can push this bolt to the right by jamming something into the front and then pushing sideways, or coming in head on from the left.

3. Door can swing open (make sure you push in to release the manual latch).

Here is the view with the door open.

Attachment 48139353

You can see the electronic lock is engaged.

Here is the door hinge end on.

Attachment 48139354

You can see the wedge that pushes in the electronic lock bolt if it is engaged before the door is shut. My problem is that the bolt wasn't retracting when unlocked, so the door is blocked from opening by the bolt through this hole.

Here is the door hinge from the top. You can see how the fuel door slides on.

Attachment 48139355

It doesn't look like I've done any damage to the door, it should be able to slide back on, once I get the lock fixed.

Attachment 48139356

I do not have a theory for what caused the electronic lock actuator to fail. I note that the bolt requires a lot of force to push it in, more than I would expect is normal. So I expect something in that bolt mechanism failed. The alternate expectation is that the door hinge was misaligned, causing the bolt to bind on the hole that it slides into ; but then the lock should work with the door now open, it doesn't.

So the good news is that I was able to fuel the car and get it home. I'll need to decide if I take it to the dealer, I dread them ripping apart the whole right side panel to fix this on a car with less than 1500 miles. Part of me wants to just hack saw off the bolt and go without a locking gas cap.

I'd love someone on the forum with a C7 to check two things for me:
a) When you normally open your fuel door, the lock is retracted, right? (It doesn't stick out as shown in the picture).
b) With the fuel door open, if you lock your car, the lock both should extend. Right? (it's safe to close the fuel door over the extended bolt, but why push luck, just unlock the car again).

keywords:
Corvette C7 Stingray fuel door won't unlock
fuel door stuck
. My 15 C7 is at the dealer for the same thing. They just called me and they have a gas door on order for the fix. 9100 miles on car.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Have driver's door unlocked and open and hit the unlock button on your FOB
your profile pic is awesome

Quick Reply: Need Help: C7 fuel door will not unlock