Sponsored by:

My C7 being repaired for a week now

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default My C7 being repaired for a week now

Some of you might recollect my original thread titled, "Car won't start." Well I can't find that thread but it doesn't matter because I said in it that I would keep you informed about my C7. Remember that my new C7 was a month old with 214 or so miles, and I went out to go to work and the car went haywire, not letting me in via the fob, then not cranking, dash lights going crazy, etc, and finally I was waving bye to the flat bed truck as the car went away to the selling dealer.
Well, it's been a week now and there has been no progress. None. No clue. I have lost confidence in the vehicle and when speaking to friends one of them suggested that I trade it in on another one, so I called the sales lady and inquired about this option and volunteered that I would be willing to pay any "additional handling charges" and they don't want to do it. Don't want to do it? They have other C7's available but do not want my car.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Yikes....good luck and I hope they get it figured out fast..perhaps they said no to the trade because they don't think it's wise to give up on it so quickly?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I know your feeling. Unfortunately if you try to trade it in the dealer will more than likely try to buy your car under invoice. Then they would want to sell you the new one at MSRP.

Call GM, start a case and get upper management involved.

OR you can goto their Facebook page and post up something like this:

It's amazing how fast they respond!

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry OP , that really sucks.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

down side of owning a car--they do break. Not sure what's taking so long.

Have you talked to service mgr? What are next steps? What is diagnosis?

YOU need to stay on top of them and keep the ball rolling. Don't expect things to happen other wise.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:18 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

The dealer isn't going to swap cars for a "handling fee." Regardless of the mileage, your car is second hand now and would be taken in as a used car. That means significant depreciation and a big loss for you.

You're in an uncomfortable spot right now, and will be until the issues with your car have been resolved. They eventually will be taken care of, and you should be back in a reliable vehicle that you'll finally be able to enjoy.

Be patient and just let the dealer get this fixed.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Check your state "Lemon Law"

USAF
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by USAF
Check your state "Lemon Law"

USAF
Most states required it have a certain number of fixes before you can start lemon law proceedings.

Come on...they haven't even fixed it once. Give them a shot. However the OP needs to get on them and start asking questions.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
The dealer isn't going to swap cars for a "handling fee." Regardless of the mileage, your car is second hand now and would be taken in as a used car. That means significant depreciation and a big loss for you.

You're in an uncomfortable spot right now, and will be until the issues with your car have been resolved. They eventually will be taken care of, and you should be back in a reliable vehicle that you'll finally be able to enjoy.

Be patient and just let the dealer get this fixed.
not so fast, yesterday saw a 2LT convertible sell for MSRP with 3800 miles.
significant depreciation? don't think so.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Most states required it have a certain number of fixes before you can start lemon law proceedings.

Come on...they haven't even fixed it once. Give them a shot. However the OP needs to get on them and start asking questions.
Some states are a certain # of repairs, some states also allow a certain amount of days in service. OP is more than likely not near any off the required criteria.

Originally Posted by hope2
Originally Posted by hope2
So you saw one sell for MSRP, do you really think the dealership that he bough it from will give him MSRP?

Not asking if it's the "right thing to do" asking if you think they will?

They are going for over MSRP at the auction still!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't you have a Lemon law?? I had something similar on my 2006 C6. Had car for about a month and then batt kept dying. they had the car for about a month GM came down and no one could figure it out. They were within hours of buying it back. Tech who had been working on the car refused to give up and started looking again and found the problem. It was a pinched wire on the passenger side sun visor. They replaced, cut my payments by 2 months and extended my warranty. Never had a problem again for the 8 years we had.

hope yours has similar luck
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Some states are a certain # of repairs, some states also allow a certain amount of days in service. OP is more than likely not near any off the required criteria.

So you saw one sell for MSRP, do you really think the dealership that he bough it from will give him MSRP?

Not asking if it's the "right thing to do" asking if you think they will?

They are going for over MSRP at the auction still!
i think it depends on the dealer, big or small, their allocation, do they care about making customer happy, what the guy paid, pre or post price increase and what they can sell it for. some Chevy dealers are paying over MSRP at auction because they cannot get product. thing i had issue with was "significant depreciation" just not so, especially with increase in MSRP
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7

Most states have a number of times -OR- number of days out of service. Generally 30 days in the shop and it's lemon law eligible. Even the mention of Lemon Law tends to light a huge fire under the butts of the manufacturer and it gets fixed.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
Some of you might recollect my original thread titled, "Car won't start." ...

Well, it's been a week now and there has been no progress. None. No clue. I have lost confidence in the vehicle and when speaking to friends one of them suggested that I trade it in on another one, so I called the sales lady and inquired about this option and volunteered that I would be willing to pay any "additional handling charges" and they don't want to do it. Don't want to do it? They have other C7's available but do not want my car.
I've had a new vehicle bought-back, having it less than six weeks. The vehicle was in the shop for the third time... for the same malfunction.

Here's what it takes:

hire a lawyer. serious

When I did that, the dealership called the mfgr; and within 10 days they offered to give me a full refund... or to build another vehicle just like the one I had.

I said that if they offered a free rental car during the time... that I'd accept another new vehicle. In 4 weeks, a brand new "clone" was in my driveway. It was flawless; never had to take it in for warranty work.

Here's what the lawyer had me do:
he said to write the dealer a letter stating that I no longer had confidence in the vehicle; that I will not take it back - even if claimed to have been "repaired right this time"; and that all future calls/correspondence are to go through him (the lawyer).
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 AM
snappy2u
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fredl11
Don't you have a Lemon law?? I had something similar on my 2006 C6. Had car for about a month and then batt kept dying. they had the car for about a month GM came down and no one could figure it out. They were within hours of buying it back. Tech who had been working on the car refused to give up and started looking again and found the problem. It was a pinched wire on the passenger side sun visor. They replaced, cut my payments by 2 months and extended my warranty. Never had a problem again for the 8 years we had.

hope yours has similar luck
Great resolve and shows strong determination on the part of that Tech!
Hope you bought him lunch!!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:30 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I read your original post and I'm to hear your cars stuck in the service department. The service adviser/manager needs to give you an update on the progress or lack of in this case.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, snappy is correct. I'll bring donuts. Because yesterday they called late in the day to say that they have found the problem. A frayed wire in the rear-view mirror shorted and brought the electrical system to it's knees. They had never heard of this problem. The usual suspects were the first ones checked. I hope there's a company-wide data base that they store information like this.

Now for the difficult part. I'm ashamed because of my horrible rant. Sorry to carry on but to my defense I love this car. Blade silver, red interior, LT3, Stick. All that a man or woman could desire in a car. They'll send a shuttle driver to pick me up at work during lunch today to get it and bring it home.

Get notified of new replies

To My C7 being repaired for a week now

Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 AM
NavyDoc2007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great news. Very simple fix but difficult to find. I'm glad they got it taken care if.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
Yes, snappy is correct. I'll bring donuts. Because yesterday they called late in the day to say that they have found the problem. A frayed wire in the rear-view mirror shorted and brought the electrical system to it's knees. They had never heard of this problem. The usual suspects were the first ones checked. I hope there's a company-wide data base that they store information like this.

Now for the difficult part. I'm ashamed because of my horrible rant. Sorry to carry on but to my defense I love this car. Blade silver, red interior, LT3, Stick. All that a man or woman could desire in a car. They'll send a shuttle driver to pick me up at work during lunch today to get it and bring it home.
Great news Weasel! I'll bet you're one happy man right about now! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyDoc2007
This is great news. Very simple fix but difficult to find. I'm glad they got it taken care if.
Anything built by man can have flaws if a sufficient number are built. The OP was unlucky but then lucky it was simple once found.

Quick Reply: My C7 being repaired for a week now