Sponsored by:

I'm tired of all the Bashing of the Bowling Green Workers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MJDVET111
So the most important item on UAW agenda is quality? Yeahhhh....right.

The whole notion of unions is archaic and low brow....legalized reverse collusion....we don't get what we want, we don't work. Real intelligent and mature. If the employees are not happy with the pay, the conditions, etc, then why don't they use their right to procure another job. Without knowing any details about THIS particular case I can tell you I've been exposed to unions in the manufacturing world and they are a huge drain on flexibility and incentive. Any quality you get is in SPITE of the unions not because of them.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Cannot believe the trash talk on this forum!

Originally Posted by Vette Nut
3 days ago there was a post saying how nice and friendly the workers are. How much they loved making our beloved cars. How much we enjoyed meeting them. Someone even wanted to know where they could buy them a beer a few weeks ago..... What did the workers do that was so bad ??? They want plant safety issues addressed and they want the quality issues taken care of before the cars leave the plant.... How dare they !!!! Just get me my car, too bad if you hurt your back or get hit by a fork truck. If the quality does not meet my standards i can always bitch about it here.

Now i know most people are resonable here, but the few that are bashing the workers at the plant need to realize they do not know whats its really like to work there. Most managers are paid to produce profits for a company. GM is no different. People would be suprised at the contract langauge the UAW puts in their agreements to insure quality. Most people don't know that.

This is most likely no more than the UAW and the Plant managers needing to sit down and talk about some long festering issues. Nobody wants a strike and i doubt if it will happen. Both the UAW and GM know what they need to do both short and long term. I expect this will work itself out in time .... ok now you can bash me
As a 35 year very senior HR professional, I'm not a fan of unions. HOWEVER that said, they do have their place in this world.
BUT the bashing of the Bowling Green workers by the posters on Corvette 7 forum is so rediculous and over the top that I am disgusted with the way this forum has devolved.
They've made or soon will make your cars!!!! And I have absolutely no issues with the job they've done.
Jeeeeze, unbelieveable, some posters need to get a life. Are you really that unhappy with the world in general that you have to trash everything you don't happen to agree with ....really?!!?!?

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 04-09-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you can respect and appreciate the workers and not like their union...
Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ yes, that is true.

But unfortunately, the "rank & file" usually listen to their union leaders instead of independently
arriving at their own conclusions...or taking the time to truly evaluate the economic big-picture
effect of a work-stoppage...
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

The workers I met at my NCM delivery factory tour Oct 11 were happy and all thanked me for my business. One even flagged me down on the road as I was leaving BG late afternoon to tell me I built your car! Great experience and added positively to my day.

But, 90+% vote to agree to a strike? That is disappointing.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Nut
3 days ago there was a post saying how nice and friendly the workers are. How much they loved making our beloved cars. How much we enjoyed meeting them. Someone even wanted to know where they could buy them a beer a few weeks ago..... What did the workers do that was so bad ??? They want plant safety issues addressed and they want the quality issues taken care of before the cars leave the plant.... How dare they !!!! Just get me my car, too bad if you hurt your back or get hit by a fork truck. If the quality does not meet my standards i can always bitch about it here.

Now i know most people are resonable here, but the few that are bashing the workers at the plant need to realize they do not know whats its really like to work there. Most managers are paid to produce profits for a company. GM is no different. People would be suprised at the contract langauge the UAW puts in their agreements to insure quality. Most people don't know that.

This is most likely no more than the UAW and the Plant managers needing to sit down and talk about some long festering issues. Nobody wants a strike and i doubt if it will happen. Both the UAW and GM know what they need to do both short and long term. I expect this will work itself out in time .... ok now you can bash me
Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
As a 35 year very senior HR professional, I'm not a fan of unions. HOWEVER that said, they do have their place in this world.
BUT the bashing of the Bowling Green workers by the posters on Corvette 7 forum is so rediculous and over the top that I am disgusted with the way this forum has devolved.
They've made or soon will make your cars!!!! And I have absolutely no issues with the job they've done.
Jeeeeze, unbelieveable, some posters need to get a life. Are you really that unhappy with the world in general that you have to trash everything you don't happen to agree with ....really?!!?!?
The term "Curmudgeon" comes to mind.

cur·mud·geon
noun \(ˌ)kər-ˈmə-jən\

: a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains
Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm tired of a lot of things going on in the US but I don't start a thread in C7GEN if it's not directly related to C7's... like this thread is not.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Unions are a cancer on business and should be eradicated..... they are worthless money sucking scumbags... but that's just my opinion
Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by mjw930
Get off the $$$ bandwagon, this has nothing to do with money regardless how much people here want to turn it into that.

BTW the UAW gave up their right to strike over pay or benefits until 2015 as part of the
Bankruptcy settlement.
This is the reason that the issue was raised about safety and QC.....to put the power of a strike on the table. That's just political BS (government motors). I read that the reason for the strike was inequality in discipline (management playing favorites), but that doesn't give the union the right to strike, so they had to say safety and QC.
I know a few of the workers at BG. Good guys that take pride in their work and love Corvettes. The ones I know drive Corvettes. I'm all for their well being. I just think using the threat of a strike is more Union management choice than worker choice.
Of course, I'm not there and I have no 1st hand knowledge.....so my opinion is just that.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
One good thing about them going on strike is that they won't have to walk that far to the parking lot to drink and smoke dope during their lunch breaks.
I take it you have taken several trips to the corvette plant and have seen them drinking and smoking pot?? I doubt it. If you did, why didn't you report what you viewed to someone in authority who could address the situation.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I am pro-union, my only involvement in this situation is I hope my car is built lol
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blame it on GM for shipping thousands of jobs out of this country by building new plants in Mexico. We bailed them out with 50 billion for a company that was worth half of that and it has cost us the taxpayer 10 billion.

As for the union, ha they sold out when Obama paid them off which obviously shows little or no regard for their members. The little guy worker at the end of the day means nothing to the big business crooks, one has to wonder if GM should have been allowed to fold.

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 04-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I am starting to think that a lot of the reported vandalism to Corvettes is a general result of the level of animosity some owners have to anyone who doesn't think exactly like them. I am not and have never been a member of a union but this level of hatred is really over the top.

And for those who don't believe the workers need to achieve some balance of power then please don't ever complain about any issues you have with the dealers or warranty issues with GM because you obviously trust them to always do the right thing. If you have major engine failure 10 miles out of warranty and no coverage or compensation is provided then obviously that was the correct decision because the corporation is always fair, moral, and ethical. I respect a lot of corporations but I don't worship any of them or believe that they are some sort of god-like entities.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

I have read all the threads so far about the possible strike at the Bowling Green Corvette Plant. So time to chime in. First, Unions are a double blade sword. They do protect all workers, unfortunately, some workers do not deserve to be protected, but they pay their union dues and the unions must take their cases, right or wrong. Second, from everything I have read coming out of Bowling Green the major issues are about Plant Safety and Quality Control, with minor issues having to do with pensions and benefits. With a new Plant Manager, and I am thinking on the positive side, they just might work out the issues and avoid a strike, after all the issues raised benefit GM and Corvette don't they? Has anybody really thought the sudden departure of the last Plant Manager from his Dream Job was he was told to resign or quite, because just possibly the quality and safety was declining and he possibly made changes that resulted in there decreases. Just maybe his departure is a good thing, don't know but been in senior management to know this, you are watched closely for the first 90 days when you take over an executive position, and maybe what GM saw and the Union saw was not right.

Finally the workers. I have visited the plant many times and actually made friends with a person who still works there. Like it or not, the workers on the line at the Corvette Plan go through a long interview and hiring process simply because they want the best of the best in that area of the country to assemble the Corvette. They ALL love their jobs, love the product and take a lot of pride in building the best Corvettes they can. Have you talked to them? Sure, no matter where you go there are some who could care less and just want the pay check, and they are a minority at that plant, this is a fact. I was and still am impressed with the plant, the assembly line, the process for assembly, the workers and the management.

Finally, I strongly believe there will be NO STRIKE, as the financial issues are rather small, and the safety and quality issues will be worked out in the next few weeks.

Like usual many newer folks on this forum have taken this opportunity to bash unions, workers, pay rates and what ever simply to post and be heard. Go back to reality. GM is not in the best light now with the recalls, and ignition issues, paying the Feds $7,000. a day until they release certain documents to Congress, and the publicity is already hurting sales late March and early April. A strike is only going to further and deepen GM troubles. I cannot believe their business execs would let this happen, and will take every measure to prevent this strike at Bowling Green. In other words, much to do about nothing.

If it happens, well it will be a very foolish and damaging part on both the Unions and GM with nobody winning this one.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM
bigpete105
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am by no means a pro-union person. I feel that the UAW is a part of GM's problems years ago. However, no one knows how long these safety and QC concerns have been expressed to management. The UAW leaders see the popularity of the C7 and use this as a leverage point to get their demands on the table. Don't you think that at this point in the production of the C7 GM would be highly motivated to not have a strike on their hands a the plant that builds "North America's Car of the Year"
Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I am starting to think that a lot of the reported vandalism to Corvettes is a general result of the level of animosity some owners have to anyone who doesn't think exactly like them. I am not and have never been a member of a union but this level of hatred is really over the top.

And for those who don't believe the workers need to achieve some balance of power then please don't ever complain about any issues you have with the dealers or warranty issues with GM because you obviously trust them to always do the right thing. If you have major engine failure 10 miles out of warranty and no coverage or compensation is provided then obviously that was the correct decision because the corporation is always fair, moral, and ethical. I respect a lot of corporations but I don't worship any of them or believe that they are some sort of god-like entities.
What does that have to do with unions? I have been fired from a job without cause. I have been fired once because they no longer needed me without warning and I got two weeks pay. I have also left companies because I didn't like the way they treated employees. In every case I did not complain.

Every company paid me for every minute I worked their. In every case I quickly found a job because I am good at what I do and I have a good reputation in the industry. In any job, solid employees are always in demand. If plant workers don't like conditions that is what they should focus on. There are a lot of auto mfrs in the U.S they can seek employment with. Btw this is not aimed at BG workers specifically.

Last edited by jschindler; 04-10-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm tired of all the Bashing of the Bowling Green Workers

Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

If the workers are capable of building the "North American Car of the Year" then perhaps management should listen to their concerns and ideas....something that management sometimes won't do without a little additional encouragement. These are probably among the best auto assembly workers in the country, and a 90% vote is telling.

I wonder if any workers ever expressed concerns about the ignition switch assembly that is currently costing GM bigtime?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM's quality still needs improvement, and anyway that gets better is good for everyone.

We know for sure that they let quality issues go on for some time, Z06 engines, car seat rails that rock, ignition switches, and more.

I never was a union worker, been in management of fortune 100 for 25 years.

Top management has been taking from everyone in most companies to put more money in the hands of the top people.

In my opinion, the management at most companies has gotten too greedy in the past 30 years, you can see this with how crazy top level compensation has gotten.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I have many Union workers on my staff, and the only time I have to head-butt with the Union is when a problem employee gets called on the carpet for non-performance and runs to the Union rep for 'protection'. Most of my folks are excellent hard-working men and women, and the problem children are the ones that give us headaches and the Union a bad name.

I'm neither pro-union nor anti-union. Some of the rules int he contract help them, other hurt them. My only complaint is it is near impossible to get rid of the problem performers.

Quick Reply: I'm tired of all the Bashing of the Bowling Green Workers