C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else impressed with this generation of run-flats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Anyone else impressed with this generation of run-flats?

I'm not sure how many of you have had the pleasure of driving corvettes with stock run-flats for the last three generations, but I have to tell you, these new ones are fantastic.

In my C5, the ride was so bad, and the traction so dangerous, that I pulled them after 6 months and replaced with regular performance tires. My C6 was better, but they still came off once they wore out and replaced with standard tires.

These Michelins have bee great so far. I can not tell that they are run-flats from the feel....and I am generally NOT a Michelin fan. I had Michelin Pilot Sports on my Cadillac CTS and they were garbage. After the dealer replaced them TWICE, I pulled them off and put Pirelli P-Zeros on.

Back to the C7...not sure I would want them for the track, but so far, I'm impressed with the stockers
Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,711 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I'm very impressed with them as well, PSS tires are great, run-flat or not.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Better ride but isn't that only 1/2 of the runflat deal? How about the flat side????

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...re-change.html
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 AM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Ride on run flats in T mode truly impressive...however after ony 800 miles yesterday I didn't see a small pot hole and it sliced my sidewall like a hot knife thru butter. The dash board screen showed me loosing all pressure within a matter of seconds...a sick feeling watching it go down so quickly. Waiting on a replacement...wow are they expensive.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes, they are better, but still have a harsh ride compared to non run flats, and they are noisier as well. They are the best run flats that I have ever driven, however, I am not a run flat fan. I suppose if I tracked the car I would use them, but as a street cruiser, no thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I hated them when I first got the car...drove around for a while then realized maybe the tire pressure was too high. Sure enough, 37 psi all 4 tires. I now run them at 29-31, and I like them a lot....way more acceptable compared to the C5 version years ago. So, before you make a decision check your tire pressure first.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

The ride on the base car isnt bad at all, once I let the 50psi out the dealer had them set at

They are noisy on rough concrete, which a lot of streets around here are, but they are a lot better than the C5 runflats and quite a bit batter than the C6 as far as warm weather traction and ride. I really cant do non runflats, no cell coverage a lot of places I go and even fewer tow trucks - so its runflats or a spare/jack for me..

Originally Posted by PUGPROUD
Ride on run flats in T mode truly impressive...however after ony 800 miles yesterday I didn't see a small pot hole and it sliced my sidewall like a hot knife thru butter. The dash board screen showed me loosing all pressure within a matter of seconds...a sick feeling watching it go down so quickly. Waiting on a replacement...wow are they expensive.
I just took out a run flat on what looked like a rock on the highway on my other car, heard a slight thud and 20 seconds later the low tire light was on. I was able to drive it 40 miles home with no air. I cant believe it destroyed the tire (400.00) but i'm sure a non-runflat would have been damaged the same way.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm very impressed with them too. No comparison the the Goodyear run flats on my 09 Z06. These provide a much nicer ride and better traction despite their smaller contact patch. In fact, I'd say they provide better traction and a better ride than the 20" Nitto Invos I ran on my 360 Forged wheels that went on to my Z06.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

So far, so good!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Well this is a promising read!

When I swapped out the run-flats on my '01, my buddy described the change in ride quality in so many words as "this is how the car should've been from the factory." Which was pretty much my father's same comment when he removed the run-flats from his XLR.

Nice to see that the tech's improved enough to be worth keeping on.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

They were so bad in the cold weather, I took them off and put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's.
May never change them back.
Much better ride and no tire skipping!
I will never track the car anyways, and these are high performance all season tires!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Maybe I should not judge so quickly with just under 500 miles on them. But, so far, so good/great! I find that they ride well on my crappy roads (a little FE4 probably helps too), they hold tight in corners and are pleasantly quiet. We'll see how it goes from here.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

My C5 came with the worst run-flats ever (Goodyear). Incredibly noisy, very harsh ride, and terrible wheel chop around corners. Replacing those with Michelin Pilot Sports was my best upgrade for the car, instantly transforming it in every respect.

So maybe what you're experiencing is the difference between Michelins and Goodyears.

But I do have to say that the new Michelin run-flats on the C7 are really great tires.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I think tires are the unsung heroes of the automobile industry. A number of years ago I remember reading where somebody got curious as to what would happen if they put modern race tires on a very old, obsolete race car. The result was that the obsolete car could generate almost as much cornering force as the new car with the same tires.

We have street tires now that approach what it used to take racing tires to do, and I'm not really surprised that the run flats are so much better than they were originally.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

and, just to rattle the cages a bit, don't worry so much about the date codes on these new design performance tires....the construction is way more stable than any standard tire. I see so many threads where people won't run a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 year old tire for fear of an imaginary event. The new tires have more than one elastomer in their construction as well as superior belts and ribbing and layers of this and that which are not subject to oxidation internally. ok, let the flaming begin...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Like many, my first experience with run-craps was on my C5 vert. Hated them! Rough riding and very noise after a few miles. I replaced those GYs with a set of GY GS D3s and the car rode much nicer and performed a whole lot better. But these new run flats are so good I don't even think of them as being run flats.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
and, just to rattle the cages a bit, don't worry so much about the date codes on these new design performance tires....the construction is way more stable than any standard tire. I see so many threads where people won't run a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 year old tire for fear of an imaginary event. The new tires have more than one elastomer in their construction as well as superior belts and ribbing and layers of this and that which are not subject to oxidation internally. ok, let the flaming begin...
With run flat tires you will not experience a catastrophic failure like with a conventional tire. The rubber will harden with age and performance will degrade over time but the tire will remain safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else impressed with this generation of run-flats?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I love the runflat PSS. Comfortable, relatively quiet, incredibly responsive and predictable and HUGE grip.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangslayer
They were so bad in the cold weather, I took them off and put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's.
May never change them back.
Much better ride and no tire skipping!
I will never track the car anyways, and these are high performance all season tires!
That has more to do with them being Max-Performance summer tires than with being RF.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51
Default Road Hazard insurance for Tires & Wheels

When I picked mine up in October I did something I usually preach 'NOT' to do. I bought the optional Tire & Wheel road hazard insurance from the dealer. I got a good price on a 'Fidelity' plan $695. Two weeks ago on a Wednesday evening ride to church, I noticed the left rear was on 26PSI. When I got to church I checked and it had two visible nails right in the center and in a tread. The tire held up 25 miles to home and the next morning 45 miles to the dealer. They had one and the warranty put a new tire on, no questions. The bill Fidelity paid was $525.11 with labor, various junk charges & tax. It nearly paid for the warranty on that one issue and it's good for 5 years on tires (including replacements) w/o a mileage limitation 'AND' the wheels. Covers nails/potholes/curb rash & just about anything you can think of. I'd recommend that to anyone considering the price of the tires & wheels and the way we drive them.
Originally Posted by PUGPROUD

Last edited by Cruiter; 04-15-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply: Anyone else impressed with this generation of run-flats?