Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member-decisions...decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM
gsiegel1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member-decisions...decisions...

Hi all. First post and honestly never thought I would join a Vette forum...until the new model came out.

I have waivered back and forth a bit about the vert or targa. I have not yet even driven either so just curious as to your input. I tend to like the lines of the targa but how much of a "convertible feel" does it give you as compared to the vert?
I live in FL so the top would be off often. Of course it does rain down here a bit so the ease of the top on and off is also a consideration.

Decisions...decisions. Your feedback and input?

Thanks for your responses
Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ng-advice.html
Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Since you live in Fl go with the convert. Power top is just way to easy.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

I, too, appreciate the targa's lines. The roof is easy on and easy off, and weighs in the neighborhood of 10 pounds (I can't recall if it's 8lbs or 12lbs).

That said, with the top off - it feels much like a convertible -- you are definitely outside. I think it's excellent. That said, if one wanted to argue for the convertible, the top on that is going to be easier than a manual top, and I would bet that there is less wind noise. If you wanted to argue against vert, you could cite the targa as being prettier (totally subjective, but I'd agree) and you'll keep your trunk space.

In the end, I dont think you can go wrong.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

I also like the "fastback" look of the coupe better, but that is purely subjective. If you ever plan to try the car out at a "track day" the built in roll bar on the coupe will allow you to participate, while the convertible would not be allowed.

Still, don't listen to me...........you're smart enough to live in Florida, and I'm in Michigan where we just got three more inches of snow today!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 PM
gsiegel1
Instructor

Thanks all for the prompt responses. Of course now I see the thread on this topic
Can't say I am any clearer but will just go and drive both...as soon as I can find them locally. Lines on the targa or convenience/more openness of the vert? Lines on the targa or convenience/more openness of the vert? Lines on the targa or convenience/more openness of the vert? Vanilla or chocolate? Chocolate or vanilla?

Down here in FL they are being sold at sticker at best - any suggestions as to where to go to get the best pricing - PM me if not proper to post.

Thanks again
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Some people like Vanilla, some people like Chocolate. You are going to decide what flavor you like best. I personally liked the roof lines of the coupe in my C6 and C7.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ONLY people that ever told me that a Corvette Convertible with the top up was ugly was from people that owned a coupe. The targa top by no means feels anything like a convertible. NOT AT ALL. The targa top is a huge pain in the **** to take off and you loose all your storage space when you store it. Forget about traveling with your top out. The new Convertible you can put top down with the key fob, and you can put down at speeds up to 30 mph. You do loose some space in the trunk with the top down, but you still have room for luggage.

If you intend to use your car on the track get a coupe.

I personally will never buy a coupe ever again. Never.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Charlie M
The ONLY people that ever told me that a Corvette Convertible with the top up was ugly was from people that owned a coupe. The targa top by no means feels anything like a convertible. NOT AT ALL. The targa top is a huge pain in the **** to take off and you loose all your storage space when you store it. Forget about traveling with your top out. The new Convertible you can put top down with the key fob, and you can put down at speeds up to 30 mph. You do loose some space in the trunk with the top down, but you still have room for luggage.

If you intend to use your car on the track get a coupe.

I personally will never buy a coupe ever again. Never.
Now THAT'S funny! the underlined portion.

I won't speak to the rest because....well, it's a subjective thing even if most of it is volumetrically accurate. That doesn't take away from the looks and overall practicality of the coupe---beautiful.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AORoads
Now THAT'S funny! the underlined portion.

I won't speak to the rest because....well, it's a subjective thing even if most of it is volumetrically accurate. That doesn't take away from the looks and overall practicality of the coupe---beautiful.
Just not to misunderstand me; the coupe is a very good looking car. Some people will never even take to top off. The coupe is for them also.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Some people actually think the soft top vert looks better top up or down. Don't get me wrong, the coupes look stunning. To my eyes the vert looks better, and the full top down experience is only available in a vert. Unfortunately C7 test drives are hard to arrange, but you could drive a C6 vert and get a good feel for the top down vibe. The C7 is obviously a much improved chassis and interior, but the feel of a vert vs a coupe should be comparable, both top up and down. Verts tend to be quieter than coupes with the top up (or on). Either way you can't go wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To New member-decisions...decisions...

Quick Reply: New member-decisions...decisions...