Sponsored by:

C7 Owners: What is your Top 3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:28 PM
pmayo
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
For those of us that owned and loved our C6, and now own a C7, what are your Top 3 Improvements in the C7.

For me:
1) Exterior Styling - GM nailed the combo of keeping the essence of the Corvette and giving an exotic, modern look. The one design element I was hoping for was the pronounced Ferrari-like completely horizontal beltline just rear of the side windows, and GM came through.

2) Steering - better feel, response, control, weight.

3) Interior - Materials and Design
Some Examples: stitched dash, fabric on the A pillars, steering wheel design, door design, top of dash soft material in 1/2LT, wide leather center console armrest, more driver centric layout, to name a few.
Previous 2005 - Vert (blue)

1. No latch Vert top
2. Color selection -- love the NRB
3. Driving modes and tuned exhaust
Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Pissed off C6 owners

(actually had one tell me at a local cars & coffee "I don't like the C7 and nobody I know does". First words out of his mouth as I parked next to his C6)
They are just jealous cause they got stuck with a outdated car but can't afford to upgrade.
I get dozens of waves smiles, and thumbs up EVERYTIME I drive mine. Eat your hearts out old C drivers.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:05 PM
repo czar
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

1. I like the Driving Mode selection and all of the new computer screens.
2. Cylinder deactivation. The fact that I have all of this power and can still get 32 MPG if I need to get it.
3. Increased acceleration. This thing really goes fast.
4. I don't need the Mild to Wild modification. The NPP is adjustable as it comes from the factory.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:10 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

1. Styling
2. Interior quality
3. 2 piece trunk shade that prevents than annoying flapping
of the shade I had in the C6

Bonus. MPG
Old 04-26-2014, 04:14 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Pissed off C6 owners

(actually had one tell me at a local cars & coffee "I don't like the C7 and nobody I know does". First words out of his mouth as I parked next to his C6)
I probably would have said something along the lines of "why don't you pick up a couple extra shifts at Taco Bell and then you will be able to afford one", but that's just because I can be a dick too when provoked.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:15 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

All three of my favorites have to do with the drive-ability.

1. Way it hugs down on corners
2. Smoothness and shortness of shifter (manual of course)
3. Precision of steering

And I still LOVE the interior AND exterior styling, and absolutely love the comfort and fit of the seats. But the drive-ability of it is the tops for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:32 PM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Top 3 improvements in the C7 base, (previous car C6 base). I loved my 2009 vette, I was perfectly happy with it. The upgrades listed are not 'must haves', they just raise my quality of drive time up a notch.

1) Steering. Turn-in improved, less jiggle in bumpy sweeper.

2) Better ride, handling. Driving the same roads everyday as I did with the C6, I notice that on irregular surface turns, at elevated speeds, the rear of the c6 would skip slightly and did not give a planted feel. I just had to trust that my path would stay true. The C7 does not hop over like the c6 on the same turns. This sure footedness characteristic in itself makes me feel that the price of admission to getting a c7 was worth it.

3) My MPG has increase 15% from the c6. With more power over my previous car, the psychological benefit of increased fuel mileage is high.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Styling

2. Overall tighness of frame, handling, and steering

3. Bottom end torque of LT1

Wish I had one more so I could add the interior and seats.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:06 PM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RKInIL
I was at my Chevy dealer the other day and there was a black C7 waiting to be picked up from service. As I got out I gave it a glance and the service writer and C5 owner yelled from his desk. "I'll tell you one thing GM didn't consult any of us when they designed that car" They made it for the dot commers taste only!!!

did that goober have a spit cup on his desk too?
Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Last C6 was a '12 GS, potentially the worse new car I ever bought, it leaked, creaked, squeaked, rattled, stunk like oil, clutch was never right, seat rocked, ate tires, worse cold-knocking LS engine I ever owned (stock pistons), paint was horrible, several runs and paint flaked off on some edges. It was obviously an end of production cycle Monday morning car. I also had an '07 M6 Z51 and an '08 Z51 auto and I liked those two cars, but after those I did the 911 and E92 M3 rounds I went back to the GS - thats probably why I hated it so much.

That being said:

1: Interior. This C7 is virtually rattle free, the interior and tech finally brings the car to date. Seat coolers, finally, makes top off on hot days much better.

2: The torque bump really helps with the auto, also never got anywhere near near the gas mileage with the M6 GS this car gets, good job on the engine. Plus the trans programming guy gets a thumbs up, WAY better than my '08.

3: Styling, didnt really like it at first but its a car you really have to see in person. You can go with a plain, classy grand touring look or something like a black Z51 with black wheels that looks sinister.

There is a pretty good list of things I dont like and could be changed, certainly not 'perfect' but for the 55K I paid - a damn nice car.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Rohey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question ... just have to skip over the noise
1) interior - 3LT with suede inserts is really nice. I was perplexed on whether to get the CF dash and in the end decided to pass and have not regretted the decision. I added a partition piece behind the seats. The cargo mat allows more movement of stowed items and the partition works very well with privacy pieces and a stowed top.
2) performance exhaust - did not have NPP on the C6 so this is new to me
3) handling - very tight and road feel. I will say the summer tires do not have the grip in the rain as I was used to with the A/S tires on the C6.
4) Cyber paint - Wow really like this color

I know you said top 3 but I don't follow the rules well, or speed limit for that matter
Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm one of those who thought that the last great Corvettes were the 1963-67 Sting Rays from my high school days. I thought that many of the subsequent Corvettes were more like trucks than sports cars. The fit and finish in many of the post '67 Corvettes was also poor and the pollution and/or gas shortage eras resulted in some seriously underpowered Corvettes.

Fast forward to the C5-C6 series and I thought that Chevy was FINALLY taking Corvette performance(power, traction and handling) seriously. I was even determined to buy a late model C6 Z06 for a while in 2013. I even came close to buying one C6 Z06 with very low miles. Luckily I did not.

Then.....I scoured the Internet and magazines for all of the C7 information I could retain and decided that I could afford a C7 and benefit from all of the superb design, implementation of technology, testing and manufacturing of a C7. Now I plan to buy a 2015 to pick up at least: 8-speed, PDR and other detail improvements(unannounced) that Chevy have all learned from the 2014's experience. This all comes as quite a surprise to one who had held Corvettes in contempt for DECADES !!!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 PM
c6rod
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Top 3

I've owned every edition from a C2 through a C7. They are all different, some have been better than others (63-67 the best, 73-82 the worst, IMO) but since 1997 every new versions have been an improvement in styling, comfort, drivability, HP, MPG and styling every time.
Some people want the new ones to look like the old ones. Why? Flip up lights eliminated on C6 was a major calamity for purists. Anyone still complaining about that today? Round taillights to non-round taillights, a major calamity again. European styling, Ferrari clone, too this or too that. Get over it. If you don't like it, don't buy it and keep whatever you have, they are all great cars.
I LOVE my C7. Best one, all around, that GM has made. Sure, some problems (paint quality) but minor and fixable. Enjoy it or sell it or don't buy it.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:04 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a C6 owner. I have a bought new 07' and I do love it immensely. I would buy a new C7 in a heartbeat, except for the fact, that, I can't afford one. The wife and I are both retired and we live comfortably. We own our house and our cars and have no financial problems, but, I just don't want to go back to a payment schedule for another car. Another thing is that she and I have just had some medical scares that are being dealt with and hopefully are now under check. So, a new C7 is not in the cards for me. I do like them, a lot and think the styling is very progressive and revolutionary. The power and handling sounds like they're right on top. I wish the best of luck to all of you, who, have bought one and I hope you don't mind me lurking over here. I'm just trying to keep up with the new kid on the block. After all, we all belong to the Vette brotherhood.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by harmonyp
All three of my favorites have to do with the drive-ability.

1. Way it hugs down on corners
2. Smoothness and shortness of shifter (manual of course)
3. Precision of steering

And I still LOVE the interior AND exterior styling, and absolutely love the comfort and fit of the seats. But the drive-ability of it is the tops for me.
I thought I might miss the Z51 option - I had three C5's and three C6's with Z51, I don't miss it at all - this thing is TIGHT.

The seven-speed tranny is great.

I love how you can configure the dash and HUD.

The 3LT interior/top in Kalahari is beautiful against the Cyber Gray.

I love the new "edgy" styling, but then I also like my wife's Caddy CTS coupe, which some folks think is a little "over the top."
Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

1. BY FAR going away, is the wide, low look of a $150k exotic. Walking toward this car in the parking lot takes your breath away, at least mine.
2. The seamless power delivery, and 50/50 weight distribution. For a big car, it is very light on its feet
3. The electronics are innovative and well thought out....
Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by scott53
1. Styling (Edgy, modern, and in LB)

2. Overall tighness of frame, handling, and steering (And perfect panel fits)

3. Bottom end torque of LT1 (At whatever speed you ask for it)

Wish I had one more so I could add the interior and seats. (My 3LT is beautiful).
Bolds above are mine Worlds above my '05 C6 Coupe. But I wanted the Base machined faced wheels on my C7 but they are disappointing. Looks like that has been addressed by GM for 2015.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 04-27-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Owners: What is your Top 3?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
For those of us that owned and loved our C6, and now own a C7, what are your Top 3 Improvements in the C7.

For me:
1) Exterior Styling - GM nailed the combo of keeping the essence of the Corvette and giving an exotic, modern look. The one design element I was hoping for was the pronounced Ferrari-like completely horizontal beltline just rear of the side windows, and GM came through.

2) Steering - better feel, response, control, weight.

3) Interior - Materials and Design
Some Examples: stitched dash, fabric on the A pillars, steering wheel design, door design, top of dash soft material in 1/2LT, wide leather center console armrest, more driver centric layout, to name a few.
I agree with this list but at least as compared to my 2006 C6 the interior is the biggest improvement.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:41 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusler John
As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a C6 owner. I have a bought new 07' and I do love it immensely. I would buy a new C7 in a heartbeat, except for the fact, that, I can't afford one. The wife and I are both retired and we live comfortably. We own our house and our cars and have no financial problems, but, I just don't want to go back to a payment schedule for another car. Another thing is that she and I have just had some medical scares that are being dealt with and hopefully are now under check. So, a new C7 is not in the cards for me. I do like them, a lot and think the styling is very progressive and revolutionary. The power and handling sounds like they're right on top. I wish the best of luck to all of you, who, have bought one and I hope you don't mind me lurking over here. I'm just trying to keep up with the new kid on the block. After all, we all belong to the Vette brotherhood.
There is nothing wrong with a C6, or C5, maybe C4(JK), C3, C2 C1. Some will give you the impression its buy a C7 or nothing. This is a C7 forum and its expected, but I have enjoyed all my corvettes, every generation, probably about 20 or so.

Wise purchasers will wait a couple years for new features, discounts and common issues being addressed and then pick one up. As with most 'new' things you can always tell the pioneers, they are the ones with the arrows in their back.

I wouldnt mind having black wheels and the 8 speed, I'm not naive and I knew they were coming in '15 or '16, but I couldnt wait - along with many others. But I dont regret the decision, going to lose the same amount for the time owned whether its a 14, 15 or 16.

Cars are easily replaced, sometimes real life gets in the way of wants but obviously you have your priorities straight.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:47 PM
mrhandy
Instructor

Default C6 owner not pissed off...

Pissed off C6 owners

As a C6 owner,one thing I'm not, is pissed off.In fact I love seeing the C7 just as I love seeing all models of Corvettes.I'm looking forward with excitement to the day that one is sitting in my garage.
Michael

Quick Reply: C7 Owners: What is your Top 3?