C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog Speedo Replacement from mph to kmh: Is this complicated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
LOL, not at all.

Gotcha, thanks. Between the HUD and e-display I never look at that one. Don't need three different speed displays at the same time.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Totally agree with you. However, we travel a lot and we constantly travel over 200 kmh and we are VERY used to Analog Speedo. I do not recall looking at HUD once! Yes, habits will change probably, but until that time, we want to be the ones to be able to choose.

FYI, in the countries we live and where we want to travel, we are not able to get the car until mid next year, and we use C5-C6 and now will have a C7 (and for this C7, we are waiting since 2011 and declined purchasing many other cars). So this whole process is a little bit convoluted actually. A USA car will be shipped to Canada, then will be shipped to Europe. But you see, even though we do not like the "units", we do love the car

We will also be getting the car without a factory warranty, but we will purchase external warranty.

M
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
No.. You are absolutely incorrect.. See the photo below... See the arrow on the left side. That speedometer on the left is the analog gauge she is referring to and it is not a whole unit. It is infact a separate gauge with a mechanical needle and does not change from miles per hour to kilometers. s is not part of the LCD instrument cluster nor are the temp and fuel gauges on the right side.
One correction. This gauge DOES switch to KPH when you change the units to Metric. The KPH illuminates just above the "0".
Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Where do you live? I travel to Europe extensively on business as I work for a large British company. A C7 will get a LOT of attention there.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Where do you live? I travel to Europe extensively on business as I work for a large British company. A C7 will get a LOT of attention there.
We live in Middle East, but will be travelling and living in Europe for few years (as much as we like).

Mostly will be in Germany & Italy. But in the countries we will be travelling to (and have travelled to before), any car which is not a Yugo gets attention!

M
Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Are these separate units or is this one integrated unit? When doing the replacement, will they just be removing the analog speedo or will they replace the whole 3-part panel?

Regardless, we are a bit worried about rattling, but GM technician here said it was an easy process in C6.

M

No.. You are absolutely incorrect.. See the photo below... See the arrow on the left side. That speedometer on the left is the analog gauge she is referring to and it is not a whole unit. It is infact a separate gauge with a mechanical needle and does not change from miles per hour to kilometers. s is not part of the LCD instrument cluster nor are the temp and fuel gauges on the right side.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MaryAnnB
Are these separate units or is this one integrated unit? When doing the replacement, will they just be removing the analog speedo or will they replace the whole 3-part panel?

Regardless, we are a bit worried about rattling, but GM technician here said it was an easy process in C6.

M
The Speedometer is a separate component from the center LCD display.
The dash has so many fasteners and screws that rattles should absolutely not be an issue. I will point out that the C7 dash and gauge cluster removal process is nothing like the C6 which was in fact easy. While removing the dash panel is fairly tedious, it's not complicated however it is much more time consuming and complex than the same process in the C6. I removed my dash panel on my C7 when I swapped in the carbon fiber FAY option one and did it myself. I have no rattles what so ever and like I said, there are so many fasteners that it would be next to impossible for it to rattle. As such, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

That said, if you didn't order your car with the carbon fiber dash and would like to add that on, you can get it for about $550 landed from Bob at Fitchner Chevrolet and have it installed as part of the gauge swap. Since the dash will already be off the car, the cost difference to move the buttons and control stuff over should be negligible.

Last edited by slief; 04-30-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
One correction. This gauge DOES switch to KPH when you change the units to Metric. The KPH illuminates just above the "0".
It's funny you mention that. When looking for that picture, I did see one image of the display with the KPH on it but it also had MPH illuminated. It was mentioned that there was a different speedometer that went up to 330 in the Canadian version of the car as shown in a video posted previously. I guess I should have worded my post differently since the max speed doesn't actually change on that mechanical gauge which would limit the max displayed speed on that gauge to 124MPH.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:26 PM
MaryAnnB
Racer

The Speedometer is a separate component from the center LCD display.
The dash has so many fasteners and screws that rattles should absolutely not be an issue. I will point out that the C7 dash and gauge cluster removal process is nothing like the C6 which was in fact easy. While removing the dash panel is fairly tedious, it's not complicated however it is much more time consuming and complex than the same process in the C6. I removed my dash panel on my C7 when I swapped in the carbon fiber FAY option one and did it myself. I have no rattles what so ever and like I said, there are so many fasteners that it would be next to impossible for it to rattle. As such, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

That said, if you didn't order your car with the carbon fiber dash and would like to add that on, you can get it for about $550 landed from Bob at Fitchner Chevrolet and have it installed as part of the gauge swap. Since the dash will already be off the car, the cost difference to move the buttons and control stuff over should be negligible.
Thanks slief! Great info, you put us at ease a bit. We do have rattling in our C6 and it irritates us to a great extent.

Thanks for carbon fiber dash option... but we do not like carbon fiber much.

Tomorrow we will order our C7 Convertible, and hopefully drive it in 2 months. And get a Z06 Convertible when it comes out.

This forum has been great help.

M
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
alaincayman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metric & English Displays -- Corvette C7

My C7 coupe is an export version built for the Latin American and Caribbean market, and I'm told that the Canadian version, for purposes of this discussion, is the same.
Like all C7s, you can go into "Settings" and change the "Units" so that the DIC displays in "Metric" or in "English".
As you can see in the two photos below, shifting between the two settings changes all gauges (including odometer and digital speed read-outs) except the tach, of course, and the two far right gauges, which in my car, do not display any specific unit measurement.
And, the only change to the speedometer is the notation above the "30" from "MPH" to "km/h". All increments between "0" and "330" remain the same -- which is a little farfetched when in "MPH".
Name:  dic-english.jpg
Views: 6052
Size:  33.7 KB
Name:  dic-metric.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  34.0 KB
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Vette is slang for Corvette, so people refer to any Corvette as a Vette, regardless of year, kind of top, etc. Vert is slang for a convertible. I've never, ever, see the spelling verte for anything.

And while we're on the subject, Vet is slang for an animal doctor or a military veteran (and maybe other things) but not a Corvette.
Verte is green in French I believe
Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
gaurav
Intermediate

Hello All,

We are about to get a USA specs Verte (to be driven in EU). We are planning on replacing the Analog Speedo with a metric one.

Dealer said it is doable.

We do not want to introduce additional noises/rattling, etc. Is this a complicated process? Anyone experienced with such a replacement?

Thanks,

M
Hey
This video shows the km/h speedo. Thought it might help. And also I think they make them like that for specific markets.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM
alaincayman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default French

Originally Posted by themonk
Verte is green in French I believe
-------------------------------
In French, "verte" is green when describing a feminine noun -- e.g., "la table est verte". But, when describing a masculine noun, "green" in "vert" -- e.g., "son pantalon est vert".
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM
alaincayman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=alaincayman;1586790832]My C7 coupe is an export version built for the Latin American and Caribbean market, and I'm told that the Canadian version, for purposes of this discussion, is the same.
Like all C7s, you can go into "Settings" and change the "Units" so that the DIC displays in "Metric" or in "English".
As you can see in the two photos below, shifting between the two settings changes all gauges (including odometer and digital speed read-outs) except the tach, of course, and the two far right gauges, which in my car, do not display any specific unit measurement.
And, the only change to the speedometer is the notation above the "30" from "MPH" to "km/h". All increments between "0" and "330" remain the same -- which is a little farfetched when in "MPH".
------------------------------------------------
Name:  dic-english.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  33.7 KB
Name:  dic-metric.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  34.0 KB
---------------------------------------------
The C7 for all world markets except the USA, comes with the same DIC as mine (above two photos), configurable in "Metric" or in "English". You'll notice that the two gauges on the right, unlike the USA version, do not display any unit measurements.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:32 AM
oldschool75
Cruising

Hy, did somebody switch the DIC Unit from US - > Canada version? Would like to change it also for a C7Z06. Thanks

Last edited by oldschool75; 04-05-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

should we allow French Canadians ,to own corvettes?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:05 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

So to be clear a c7 convertible would be a "vert vette" and in french canada if it were green it would be a "vert vert vette"
Old 04-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

If someone knows, is this 300 kmh on Analog Speedo on Canadian Verte?
Thanks!
M
It is. And I never, ever, look at the analog speedo. It's not in a convenient place.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 AM
oldschool75
Cruising

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
should we allow French Canadians ,to own corvettes?
100% ... -> NO! They can use the createur de malheur cars from Renooolt, Pissjoe or Citrooon.

But i live in Germany, and i have a import C7Z06 no verte or vette. Same problem, the left speedometer ends at 220. So i´m looking for somebody who have the same problem and he change the Unit. Thanks Jan

Quick Reply: Analog Speedo Replacement from mph to kmh: Is this complicated?