Corvette Convertibles in Low Demand

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Tracker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckeb84
As a c5 owner I will be looking for a c7 vert in a few years
Bought vert last Saturday from Kerbecks, great car all I ever wanted. They had a great selection on the floor when I was there and at a fair market value.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,559 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracker
Bought vert last Saturday from Kerbecks, great car all I ever wanted. They had a great selection on the floor when I was there and at a fair market value.
What kind of discounts were they offering?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
What kind of discounts were they offering?
Dave@kerbeck just mentioned in a previous post on here that they are 2k off MSRP for the convts. go on kerbeck.com there site is completely up to date
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Tracker
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
Dave@kerbeck just mentioned in a previous post on here that they are 2k off MSRP for the convts. go on kerbeck.com there site is completely up to date
Yes 2k under MSRP :rof l:
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Are the Convertibles selling at much lower rate than expected demand?
Nobody here knows what "expected demand" is for either Corvette coupes or convertibles.

Remember that verts are harder to utilize at a track, have a shorter time to utilize during the year because of weather issues, and are comparatively more expensive vs the coupes. Corvette verts always sell in smaller numbers than coupes.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:41 AM
RidgebackKing
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me, the verts look too much like the C6. The allure of the C7 is it's dramatic styling but the vert loses a lot of that. Again, just my opinion. Nobody come crying that I'm vert owner bashing.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:14 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Same here, C5 & c6 verts, couldn't pass up exotic coupe look

SAME HERE, C7 vert looks too similar to C6, but the lines on the coupe WOW

Originally Posted by IndyBlue
My last 2 cars were roadsters. Loved the verts, but the C7 is such an exotic vehicle as a coupe I just had to make the switch.

Both are great vehicles but I just had to have the lines of the coupe.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 AM
Melor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Here you go:

Great stats. I love charts and figures. Any chance you have a breakdown of sales by color?

Paul
Old 05-03-2014, 03:13 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I think there are several factors:

higher cost

lack of roll bar - a significant issue for some people

lack of retractable hardtop - I've had several, will not go back to a ragtop

bad weather in parts of the country this past winter

upcoming Z06 convertible

less luggage space than coupe

Last edited by C7 BOB; 05-03-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Nobody here knows what "expected demand" is for either Corvette coupes or convertibles.

Remember that verts are harder to utilize at a track, have a shorter time to utilize during the year because of weather issues, and are comparatively more expensive vs the coupes. Corvette verts always sell in smaller numbers than coupes.
In the case of the C7 I think the issue on selling the convertibles is simple. The coupe is visually far more appealing. This had not been true on past versions and other brand convertibles on the market.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
Or maybe it's the exotic looks of the coupe! .
Exactly. The vert loses nearly everything distinctive about the C7. You might as well buy a C6.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

My last Corvette was a convertable. I bought the coups because of the great look of the roof flowing into the body. It is unique to the C7 and not found on any other generation. The convertable,in my opinion, looks like any other Corvette convertable. That is not to knock convertable Corvettes. They are amazing. I just think the new coupe, going down the road, is a head turner.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Here you go:
Wow, the recession really destroyed corvette sales.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx

Agree with the track utilization and the convertible does cost more, however my C7 convertible has a heater (comes standard) as does the coupe, the utilization is the same for coupes and convertibles, year round. I just sold my C6 coupe and went with the convertible because removing and reinstalling the top was a pain. With a light wind two people are needed for safety, anything stronger than 10 knots forget it. The convertible top goes up and down with the push of a button, love it. Looks; C7 convertible looks like a C6 (?) call your eye doctor immediately! the coupe with the targa removed isn't a beauty, the convertible wins this battle hands down. When the roof is up or top installed the coupe is prettier. The C7 top is really an improvement over previous versions, the top is blended into the design and rooks good.

Last edited by Larry/car; 05-03-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,559 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
...I just sold my C6 coupe and went with the convertible because removing and reinstalling the top was a pain. ...The convertible top goes up and down with the push of a button, love it. Looks; C7 convertible looks like a C6 (?) call your eye doctor immediately! the coupe with the targa removed isn't a beauty, the convertible wins this battle hands down. When the roof is up or top installed the coupe is prettier. The C7 top is really an improvement over previous versions, the top is blended into the design and looks good.
Before the C7, I thought the last good looking 'Vette convertible was the C3. From the C4 to the C6 I thought the convertibles were hideous with the top up. It looked as thought someone had cut the top off a coupe and stapled a piece of canvas over the hole. The only thing uglier was the Nissan 350Z convertible ..

I have only seen the C7 convertible is pictures but the top does look much better integrated into the body design. It is not to the level of the Jaguar XK or the BMW 6 series, but much better. Like Larry, removing and replacing the C6 top was such a pain in the a-- for me, I do not believe I had the top off more then 5 times in the 2 1/2 years I owned the car. When I owned convertibles the top was down nearly every day. I am looking forward to the same in my C7 'vert when she FINALLY gets here.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailfun
In the case of the C7 I think the issue on selling the convertibles is simple. The coupe is visually far more appealing. This had not been true on past versions and other brand convertibles on the market.
The same could be said of the C2, I think, yet total convertible sales greatly exceeded those of the coupe.
Of course things were different then, in regards to A/C, power options, regs and rules, driving environment. Taste, as in a roadster more epitomized the sports car concept.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 AM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Before the C7, I thought the last good looking 'Vette convertible was the C3. From the C4 to the C6 I thought the convertibles were hideous with the top up. It looked as thought someone had cut the top off a coupe and stapled a piece of canvas over the hole. The only thing uglier was the Nissan 350Z convertible ..

I have only seen the C7 convertible is pictures but the top does look much better integrated into the body design. It is not to the level of the Jaguar XK or the BMW 6 series, but much better. Like Larry, removing and replacing the C6 top was such a pain in the a-- for me, I do not believe I had the top off more then 5 times in the 2 1/2 years I owned the car. When I owned convertibles the top was down nearly every day. I am looking forward to the same in my C7 'vert when she FINALLY gets here.
The C 7 with the top down is a thing of beauty. We have a hard time keeping people away from it, we feel like a rock star. The convertible is much quieter than the coupe, I've ridden in both. To each their own, but we absolutely love our convertible.
Capt Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Convertibles in Low Demand

Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

People generally believe a Convertibles are meant to be driven with the top down. The top is there just to cover the interior of the car in bad/cold weather.

Both the coupe and convertible are open air cars, however I think people in colder climates lean towards the coupe over the convertible. People know that in cold climates they are going to have the convertible top up/coupe roof on 80% of the time. People generally believe it's a more pleasant experience inside the car in a coupe when the top is on over a convertible when the top is up.

Plus, many people believe a soft top convertible looks much better with the top down. So if you live in a cold climate and will only have the top down only 20% of the time where the car looks its best, people must be thinking it makes more sense to get a coupe, as the car looks its best all the time.

...and the top removal on the coupe is easy. If it WERE that difficult we'd see less coupe buyers and more convertible buyers and this thread wouldn't exist.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 05-03-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:54 AM
youcancallmeray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to believe the convertibles are in much lower demand than expected. I ordered my car in January and still at 1100. Dealer had enough allocations that my order should have been accepted by GM this month, however all 5 orders ahead of me are for coupes and 3 of the last 5 allocations the dealer received were for convertibles. One of these actually sat on the dealer lot for over a month( no markup in price) before it was sold. Another local dealer has taken all the orders he can for the year and has had another convertible sitting on the lot for over 2 months. I am in Florida so lack of interest in convertibles has nothing to do with the cold winter.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by youcancallmeray
Have to believe the convertibles are in much lower demand than expected. I ordered my car in January and still at 1100. Dealer had enough allocations that my order should have been accepted by GM this month, however all 5 orders ahead of me are for coupes and 3 of the last 5 allocations the dealer received were for convertibles. One of these actually sat on the dealer lot for over a month( no markup in price) before it was sold. Another local dealer has taken all the orders he can for the year and has had another convertible sitting on the lot for over 2 months. I am in Florida so lack of interest in convertibles has nothing to do with the cold winter.
Just because 1 convertible sat on a lot in Florida for a month or 2 does not lead to the general conclusion that convertible demand has nothing to do with the climate. I'm sure a convertible sold in 2 days somewhere in the Northeast. That doesn't mean convertibles sell fast in the Northeast either. You can't make a determination on a sample size of 1.

There must be other factors contributing to why the car has been there 2 months.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 05-03-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Convertibles in Low Demand