Sponsored by:

Seat Leather

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM
RUMLN2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indy 28,
Apologies for the prior (double same) reply. Yes, that was I who talked to you at the Houston Expo. I hope the seat leather issue will be permanently resolved with the replacement of our seat back cushions. Easter week wife & I took a vacation to Canton, GA in our C7. Great road car, still getting a lot of admirers & great fuel economy - marking 32-37 MPG @ 70 MPH in 7th gear & eco mode. We are signed up with the Gulf Coast Region Caravan, headed to Bowling Green this August.
RUMLN2
Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RUMLN2
Indy 28,
Apologies for the prior (double same) reply. Yes, that was I who talked to you at the Houston Expo. I hope the seat leather issue will be permanently resolved with the replacement of our seat back cushions. Easter week wife & I took a vacation to Canton, GA in our C7. Great road car, still getting a lot of admirers & great fuel economy - marking 32-37 MPG @ 70 MPH in 7th gear & eco mode. We are signed up with the Gulf Coast Region Caravan, headed to Bowling Green this August.
RUMLN2
It was from our conversation that gave me the confidence to know that Chevrolet would warranty the problem on the seat. Chevrolet has always treated me very well on many issues. You're like me, driving and enjoying the new C7. 12/13/13 (Friday) delivery on mine and now I have 5600 miles. My wife and I will be in the South Texas Caravan. Look forward to talking with you then.

THX....Mike
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll bet those of you who are having the skin peel off the seats have applied some type of leather conditioner to the surface??????

Remember, these are "leather trimmed seats" nowadays. Not the "leather interior" we used to see many years ago. "Leather trimmed" means just that.....the only leather on the seats is the piece in the center of the seat on the top and lower cushions. The side bolsters are nothing buy vinyl! The "leather" centers is nothing more than leather painted red with a clear urethane coating over it to match the color of the vinyl bolsters.

Never, ever put any type of leather conditioner, oil, etc., on any part of your seat!!!! The conditioner cannot soak into the leather through the urethane coating. It can't soak into the vinyl because it is synthetic material.

If you put leather conditioner on your seats, the conditioner sits on the surface until it evaporates or you rub it off with your clothing. It cannot soak in!!! Then, dirt accumulates in the non-absorbed conditioner and now you have sand paper on the seat surface which damages the surface when you get in and out. This is exactly why premature bolster wear occurs even when you are being careful!

Many times these "conditioners" will also chemically break down the "skin" on the vinyl like some of you are experiencing!

Don't believe me????? Just put a drop of water anywhere on your seat and tell me if it soaks in or just sits there. I can assure you it will just sit there until it evaporates as it cannot soak into the material!!!

Wipe your seats down occasionally with a clean, wet towel. That is it! If they get dirty, use Leather Masters Mousse cleaner or Woolite to clean them. These products leave no oily residue. Keep your seats like new if you put nothing on them! Period!

Still not convinced???? Read this link!

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...are-confusion/
Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 PM
RUMLN2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob409xx,
Negative, nothing was applied to the leather seats prior to it blistering & peeling. This happened a short time after taking delivery and very few miles driven in the C7. There was no abuse to the leather. I am very careful getting in & out the seat. I very seldom wear a belt & majority of driving time I wear shorts. The way I figure it the thin strip in the center of the bolster is of inferior leather or coating material - in fact the red coating on the stitching was coming off leaving the stitching white.
RUMLN2
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachry
Hello, I just got my LT 1 and the bottom,on the drivers side of the seat, seems to be cut to short in with ?, the outside stiches are not wide enough, very hard and are pushing on the seat frame. Do you have insight on this issue
Hello Zachry,

Sincere apologies to read about that. We do take a case-by-case approach when examining matters of this sort. If you'd like us to further investigate, feel free to message us privately at your convenience.

Originally Posted by Stein
This is what my passenger side seat leather looks like, 2LT car VIN 5109018.

If this thread wouldn't have been here I never would have discovered this flaw or defect.
Thanks so much. I've also received the emails you sent as well. Let me know when you have an official diagnosis.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Update - Still waiting for the leather skin to arrive. On backorder.

Quick Reply: Seat Leather