Sponsored by:

Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:08 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
I don't believe she's mad that someone suggested going to a forum dealer. I believe it's more the way some people make that suggestion. There's nice and then there's arrogant. I've seen it on numerous threads, even going are far as name calling. Helpful suggestions are always welcome, but don't get mean and nasty, and suggest that a person is stupid for not using a forum dealer.
Agree with both points and I try to give props to those who stand by their local dealer and "accept" the waiting time if that is an issue. Supporting your local dealer is a good thing, but that does not mean going to a superdealer is bad. What is important is getting what you want and not having to settle for what is there.

Laborsmith
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Laborsmith,
I trust your knowledge on various subjects, so I have a question.

With the military and credit union discounts available, why are some dealers not participating? Especially with the military discount. Not participating in this discount makes the dealer look like they don't support the military. Is it because the dealer eats the cost of such discounts, even though GM is doing the ads?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Laborsmith,
I trust your knowledge on various subjects, so I have a question.

With the military and credit union discounts available, why are some dealers not participating? Especially with the military discount. Not participating in this discount makes the dealer look like they don't support the military. Is it because the dealer eats the cost of such discounts, even though GM is doing the ads?
Let me chime in. The Military Discount is the same as supplier pricing and for that you have to be active military.

The ads which you are seeing now extends that program to family of active military, retired military and their family.

With the normal Military Discount, the dealer uses it at his description like with supplier and employee pricing. For example, we will take that pricing on any new 2014 Corvette convertible and non-Z51 coupes but not on Z51 coupes.

With the program that is currently being advertised the dealer has to either sign up or not. If they do, they agree to take the supplier pricing on every new car they sell if the customer qualifies. That means we would not only have to accept that pricing on Z51 coupes but also the new Cadillac Escalade, GMC Denali, etc. We weren't willing to do it on every car so we did not sign up for that program.

Dave
Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Let me chime in. The Military Discount is the same as supplier pricing and for that you have to be active military.

The ads which you are seeing now extends that program to family of active military, retired military and their family.

With the normal Military Discount, the dealer uses it at his description like with supplier and employee pricing. For example, we will take that pricing on any new 2014 Corvette convertible and non-Z51 coupes but not on Z51 coupes.

With the program that is currently being advertised the dealer has to either sign up or not. If they do, they agree to take the supplier pricing on every new car they sell if the customer qualifies. That means we would not only have to accept that pricing on Z51 coupes but also the new Cadillac Escalade, GMC Denali, etc. We weren't willing to do it on every car so we did not sign up for that program.

Dave
Hey that's how the government works. It's not as simple as this or that.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Hey that's how the government works. It's not as simple as this or that.
It's really not a big deal because of the bulk of the guys who are former military can just use their credit union discount and get the same price.

Dave
Old 05-21-2014, 08:30 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

It's really not a big deal because of the bulk of the guys who are former military can just use their credit union discount and get the same price.

Dave
But ya gotta admit, participating in the "military discount" sounds so patriotic, and creates a sence of GM supporting our Vets.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Hey Michael,
For fun, I just went to the Porsche site and built out a 2014 Cayman S with as many options as I could to get close to the level (and similarity) of equipment on a 2LT Z51. My final price....$81,445

I think the 2015 Corvettes will go up but I think it will be a more normal type increase (3 - 5%) than the big jump they took mid-year 2014.

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy, yes Porsches add up when you add the options. That's their cash cow. Unlike the Corvette, though, you can order options individually, so if you don't go crazy, you can keep the price reasonable. There are some items in 2LT that I would never order if available individually. I would really only need the 1LT, plus seats with lumbar adjustment for my back.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 05-21-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Dave
Good piece of information here.

Do you know what the formula is for the supplier discount (Invoice-x%)? Ford has one call X-Plan which is Invoice - 4% +$275.

Michael
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave has the right of it.

As to Ford, I have no experience with their program's so you could be correct, but to me it is meaningless.

Laborsmith
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I'm not sure if this is correct Joe.

I read that Kerbeck had 1,200 allocations for 2014. If there are, say, 25,000 sold then that is almost 7% by one dealer.

Maybe your stats are correct but I would bet the top 3 sell notably more than 7% based on the Kerbeck allocation alone.
My numbers are off as I was thinking sales in 2012 were 16,500 instead of the actual 11,647.

In 2012 Kerbeck sold 627(5.4%), MacMulkin sold 282 and Caughlin sold 188. They were the top three dealers, so they amounted to 9.4% of sales and the top 10 dealers accounted for 17.2%.

As for the 2014 C7, Kerbeck has been allotted 1277 cars but the number produced so far is around 28,000 and there is still another 10 weeks of production left for the 2014's, so that would raise the total to around 36,000. That would make Kerbeck equal to 3.5% of 2014 sales.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Hi Jimmy, yes Porsches add up when you add the options. That's their cash cow. Unlike the Corvette, though, you can order options individually, so if you don't go crazy, you can keep the price reasonable. There are some items in 2LT that I would never order if available individually. I would really only need the 1LT, plus seats with lumbar adjustment for my back.

Michael
Michael,
I hear you. I have complained long and loud about the "packages". I understand why GM does it, but I would like an "a la carte" menu (a la Porsche). I bought 2LT but I did so because the price was cheap enough (I ordered last August, so pre-price increase). That said, there are things in 2LT I don't care about. I imagine that whenever I get another C7 (3 - 5 years), I will order 1LT because of the price.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car