Sponsored by:

Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
I've posted a number of times reguarding the allocation system. Talking directly to GM, they agree that the system is flawed and not fair. It's one thing to give the huge numbers of allocations to the big boys, but not to fill SOLD orders. There are cars with the Z51 option sitting in dealers inventory. Is that fair to the people who put down a cash deposit and ordered their car? It's tireing to read "you should of gone to a forum dealer". Wake up GM, be fair and fill those sold orders too.
I agree, if a dealer has an allocation they should be able to order ANYTHING ON THE MENU. The more they sell, the more allocations they get plain and simple. I don't get the "constraint" thing except for a shortage of parts or if it affects something like options that impact CAFE.

Tom
Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
No harm intended but you should watch who you blame for this. How is it GM's fault that your dealer can't get a Z51. It's pretty late in the model year and all the info on ordering these cars has been out for a long time. It's likely your dealer's own fault for not selling enough Corvettes in 2012. That's what C7 allocations were based on. So the dealers that put in the work got taken care of. There's really no better way to do it. I'm from a small town and I knew better than to try and place my order around here. So I called Les Stanford and placed my order 800 miles away. I placed the order on 4/24 and should be able to get a Z51 this model year. If I don't, at least I know I gave myself a good chance by going with one of the top Corvette dealers.
Its not late in the model year in February....
Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

You've been waiting 3 months. Many of us (including me) waited 6 months+ for a Z51 from a local / smaller dealer. I did go a summer "Corvette-less" since I sold my C6 before the C7 was available (darn glad on that one). Ultimately it will be a lack of patience that ruins your dream. My advice, as unsavory as it is, is to be patient and wait for the car you want OR be creative and acquire via distant / large dealership. It's too much money to spend to settle on a compromise. Once you get your dream car all the unhappiness from waiting will be quickly forgotten. I doubt 2015 will be any better on availability and the price will only go up.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I purchased a base convertible, really pleased, I had a C6 coupe with magnetic ride. The C7 outperforms the C6 without the suspension option Z51. I am planning on driving a Z51 equipped car with magnetic ride in the future. I will then decide if trading present car is warranted then. I have a C7 now for summer fun!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The carbon fiber dash can be added anytime .. so forget that.

Only you know how important the Z51package is. For me, it was not an issue .. I'm never going to push my car hard enough to need it. I might add the Z51 sway bars to stiffen it up a little, but it's just not important to me.

If it IS important to you, get in touch with one of the big dealers and get it. It's really that simple. Instead of getting angry about not getting what you want, do the work and GET what you want.

Hope it works out .. ordering these suckers can get stressful.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
You've been waiting 3 months. Many of us (including me) waited 6 months+ for a Z51 from a local / smaller dealer. I did go a summer "Corvette-less" since I sold my C6 before the C7 was available (darn glad on that one). Ultimately it will be a lack of patience that ruins your dream. My advice, as unsavory as it is, is to be patient and wait for the car you want OR be creative and acquire via distant / large dealership. It's too much money to spend to settle on a compromise. Once you get your dream car all the unhappiness from waiting will be quickly forgotten. I doubt 2015 will be any better on availability and the price will only go up.
Distant/large dealership worked great for me. Easy deal, MSRP, car had what I would have ordered anyway EXACTLY! Shipping was very reasonable.
Patience is good, but allocations are very frustrating sometimes. Hope you get your car soon!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Find a dealership with Z51 allocations and get courtesy delivery to your local dealership.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Find a dealership with Z51 allocations and get courtesy delivery to your local dealership.
He ordered in February, so he's going to get dinged with the price increase if he switches dealers.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
He ordered in February, so he's going to get dinged with the price increase if he switches dealers.
Ouch, missed that part
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

In defense of the smaller dealers, how does one of them ever develop the necessary 'allocation' if they're never allowed to sell any cars? It would take quite a few years to be able to sell any amount of inventory so they could get the allusive 'allocation'. You would think that GM would allow the ones that are able to get paid orders to get them filled.

I can see dealers not even wanting to sell a Corvette because it's such a hassle.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM
youcancallmeray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Bummer on the Z51, but are you really going to track it. You could just as easily add the Z51 sway bars. Re the CF dash, can't you buy it for $500 and install it your self? Saving almost $500.

Think outside the box, or make lenonade out of these lemons.
Actually if the ordered was placed in February as per the OP, the price is protected. Making any change such as deleting the CF dash or Z51 option will nullify the price protection. Probably would have to pay the same amount as expected for much less car.
I am in same situation. If I don't get my Z51 exactly as ordered and price protected I would rather wait for a 2015.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 AM
LHarper
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7CorvettePilot
My dealer called today to tell me my order was ready to go into production.......I was thrilled....then he says "But got some bad news...."The Z51 pkg is under constraint and the Carbon Fiber dash is also" Two things I wanted most on the car! I have been waiting since Feb. for the car to move this far. It is absolutely ridiculous that Chevy can advertise these cars to draw people's interest and then can't follow through producing their product! I am pissed and disappointed that Chevy can pull this **** but makes sure the Big Boy dealers like Hendrick, Les Stanford, Kerbeck....are well stocked but the smaller cities get screwed! I have had 5 Corvettes and was looking forward toward number 6 but I'm not sure I will be getting one. New Mustang is gonna get a 2nd look.......
I hear you. My last two Corvettes have always been serviced by a Chevrolet dealer thirty miles from me. I take it there because the service and work is second to none. Yesterday I called them about getting a new Corvette and was told they are too small a dealer to get Corvettes. This did not surprise me as I have tried in the past to order Corvettes from them. Too bad when you have a dealer who has taken care of you for many years on cars they did not even sell you and are not able to order a new Corvette for you. GM, dealer and myself lose in this way of doing business. I value and enjoy having a good relationship with the dealers that service my cars. Only fair and smart business to encourage such relationships. GM needs to reconsider and change their allocation program.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by dbdave
In defense of the smaller dealers, how does one of them ever develop the necessary 'allocation' if they're never allowed to sell any cars? It would take quite a few years to be able to sell any amount of inventory so they could get the allusive 'allocation'.
GM memo to all Chevy dealers in 2012 was that 2014 allocation would be based on 2012 Corvette sales and you can order as many 2012 Corvettes as you want. The way I understand it, any dealer could have ordered 600 2012 Corvettes and had the allocation Kerbeck got for 2014, but apparently only Kerbeck was willing to put forth the initiative of selling 600 2012 Corvettes for GM. If small dealers make no effort when asked to, then they deserve no reward later, and if your hometown dealer wants to know why he can't get you a car, he needs to look no further than the mirror in his restroom to know why.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by youcancallmeray
Actually if the ordered was placed in February as per the OP, the price is protected. Making any change such as deleting the CF dash or Z51 option will nullify the price protection.
His order never went past 1100, so he can probably make any change he wants and keep price protection unless he goes from coupe to vert or vert to coupe.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:26 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by youcancallmeray
Actually if the ordered was placed in February as per the OP, the price is protected. Making any change such as deleting the CF dash or Z51 option will nullify the price protection. Probably would have to pay the same amount as expected for much less car.
I am in same situation. If I don't get my Z51 exactly as ordered and price protected I would rather wait for a 2015.
If an order is in the GM system, as a sold order in the buyer's name, entered prior to Mar 3, it can be changed without losing price protection. I was in the same position .. order placed before the price increase, and I wanted to change the color and add NPP .. the dealer warned me that I MIGHT lose price protection, but checked with his GM rep and found that the order could be changed and still retain price protection. So my order was changed, and I'm still price-protected.

ALL orders, whether price-protected or not, will be invoiced at the new (higher) price, but GM will credit the dealer for the increase amount. This fact makes it possible for dealers to pull a fast one, if they're so inclined.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
Enjoy your Mustang !.....

Why didnt you order your car from a forum dealer who has allocation instead of a local podunk dealer..who doesnt?

There's only been like a dozen threads of people complaining of not being able to get what they want from a local podunk dealer with limited allocations....It's not exactly a secret...
I have a local Podunk dealer that didn't sell enough Corvettes in 2012 to make the top 900 list of dealers for the first round of allocations. He did make the second round, after they opened the order sheets to all Chevrolet dealers that wanted to shell out the money to sell Corvettes, and he received his first two C7's, both being Z51's, a couple of weeks ago. A Z51 coupe(that sold the next day after he received it) and a Z51 convertible.

Somehow he managed to get two Z51's as his first two C7's, and neither were presold orders to GM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:39 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
No harm intended but you should watch who you blame for this. How is it GM's fault that your dealer can't get a Z51. It's pretty late in the model year and all the info on ordering these cars has been out for a long time. It's likely your dealer's own fault for not selling enough Corvettes in 2012. That's what C7 allocations were based on. So the dealers that put in the work got taken care of. There's really no better way to do it. I'm from a small town and I knew better than to try and place my order around here. So I called Les Stanford and placed my order 800 miles away. I placed the order on 4/24 and should be able to get a Z51 this model year. If I don't, at least I know I gave myself a good chance by going with one of the top Corvette dealers.

My locals could not touch one so I went 260 miles from home.

I don't understand how a car could be "ready for production" and then stopped due to constraints. To me ready for production sounds like status 3300 - 3400. At that point I would think the plan had already come together. I wonder if the OP had a status code of 2000 or better when the dealer gave him bad news.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car

Old 05-16-2014, 12:44 PM
markk1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7CorvettePilot
My dealer called today to tell me my order was ready to go into production.......I was thrilled....then he says "But got some bad news...."The Z51 pkg is under constraint and the Carbon Fiber dash is also" Two things I wanted most on the car! I have been waiting since Feb. for the car to move this far. It is absolutely ridiculous that Chevy can advertise these cars to draw people's interest and then can't follow through producing their product! I am pissed and disappointed that Chevy can pull this **** but makes sure the Big Boy dealers like Hendrick, Les Stanford, Kerbeck....are well stocked but the smaller cities get screwed! I have had 5 Corvettes and was looking forward toward number 6 but I'm not sure I will be getting one. New Mustang is gonna get a 2nd look.......
Dude, let me tell you; that Mustang can't hold a candle to the C7 IMHO. I found out the truth about who could get allocation and who could not the hard way myself. Ordered on 10/21/13, cancelled and went with a Forum Dealer on 1/27/14. Heard all the garbage about constraints, etc. Z-51 was at 50% then, still at 50% (as I predicted in January - GM has no incentive to require their suppliers to increase production this year only to have things drop off when the "gotta have a C7" buyers all have their cars). My Forum Dealer had allocations available for the Z-51 even at 50%. I chose them because I HAD to have a 2014 C7. If I wanted to wait for a 2015 (with price increases and all), I could have stayed loyal to the local dealer. The reason the Forum dealers have allocation is because they sold a crapload of C6's last year. Simple as that. My car was on their lot on 4/1/14, after riding the slow train from Bowling Green. Come over, I will give you a ride and you will change your mind about the Mustang...
Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM
markk1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy

My locals could not touch one so I went 260 miles from home.

I don't understand how a car could be "ready for production" and then stopped due to constraints. To me ready for production sounds like status 3300 - 3400. At that point I would think the plan had already come together. I wonder if the OP had a status code of 2000 or better when the dealer gave him bad news.
I believe the fact is that GM does not accept the order until the dealer is provided an allocation for the constrained build. In other words, once GM accepts the order, they accept it constraints and all and production is not held up for constraints at that point. Of course, extenuating circumstances can crop up, but it seems that is not generally the case.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Cars are built with the parts they have. When the part suppliers tell them they'll have parts by X date, GM takes orders for cars they'll build at that point. If the suppliers don't make good on their promise to get those parts to them, GM holds the orders and puts on constraints.

It's pretty simple. They're not in the business of turning down money. So when you place an order, they're going to do their best to fill it. GM's raising the cost on the Z51 because their suppliers can't keep up and they need additional suppliers.

Supply and demand, gents.
this ^ ^ ^

Quick Reply: Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car