Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Tell me about car shows

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:38 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be checking this kind of stuff out in the future, lots of good info to be had here! I don't plan on modding my car at all and don't expect to win anything because of that, but it'll be nice to meet up with some people and look at cars and hang out!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:40 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

stock or not stock go and show it off man ! part of having a nice car's culture. You are going to be around car guys and they are generally nice people. enjoy !
Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If it's a big show just remember to keep your doors locked. You get the occasional bonehead who thinks he should try to open the door and get in.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Skialta
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default New, old, it's still a Corvette.

Omg, give her a beauty treatment,stick a foldable chair or two in the boot, put on the sunscreen and Go. You'll meet the greatest group of gals and guys.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:22 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
My first suggestion would be to join your local Corvette club....will open up all kinds of new things for you to enjoy.

Meet great people and can learn everything you want and more.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM
ostbloom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell you that I have been to one car show and one car cruise-in with nothing but overwhelming positive comments and met some great people.

You should do what YOU want to do and above all, not worry about what anyone else thinks - especially some of the negative people on this forum. If you don't want to compete with someone else because you have a new car - stay at home. If you want to compete, go ahead. Life isn't about worrying about what other people thinks of you. Life is about doing whatever you want and NOT worrying about other peoples opinions. But, you asked so you will get both sides.

Participate in a car show or a cruise. You will meet great people and have a great time.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
Sorry, new cars entered into competition is just lame.
I belonged to a KC Corvette club and they had one every year. Everyone got a trophy and every car was judged....So how do you judge a factory-fresh C7 vs. another factory-fresh C7 ???

Older cars are another story. They take time, patience, skill, and money to get back to original and that is something worthy of a "Show" and judgment.

Of course, the standard disclaimer of "Do what makes you happy" applies to my post...but I don't get it.

I would rather hang out with car guys talking about our cars instead of trying to determine who get the trophy for best "Armor All Tire Application"

I have been to MANY car shows, from getting NCRS Top Flights, to the local Cruise Nights. I have entered new cars, restored classics, and modified beasts. I have won and earned my fair share from Concurs levels to NCRS Judging, but could NEVER understand why the two bit trophy (dust collector) is SO Imported to some people. To me it the competition of myself to prep and get the car ready, its about meeting and being with people having the same interests, and its about the little kid that turns to his Dad saying, "This is my favorite car."
Been showing cars for over 40 years, and it always amazes me why people worry so much about a trophy. I do it because of the love of the hobby and the people I meet and greet. New factory stock car or customized hot rod, they all are an extension of the owner. Go for it and enjoy yourself...
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (02-19-2019)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

I think based on your post, you dont want to be in the "modified" class. These guys spend $3k to $4k on just the chrome under their hoods...nothing wrong with that, but you dont sound like that is the level you want to get to... To remain in the "stock" class, normally the rules are 5 or less modifications (such as an interior change, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket wheels, etc). Im a judge for car shows so Ill provide as much advice as I can.

First - cleanliness is key...period. You will never win a (honest) judged show if your car isn't clean...and by clean, I mean CLEAN. Your car needs to literally be spotless. And not just the paint washed and waxed or the interior vacuumed...you have to clean everywhere; all the engine parts, behind the wheels, your door hinges, the crevasses under your hood or truck, your exhaust tips, your tires, all glass/windows, your carpets, your dashboard, the seats...everything cause that's what (good) judges look for.

Now to make your car pop, without breaking the bank - here are a few items you can add to your Vette to help make it look even nicer:
You'll know your car is clean when your done, and people (like this guy) walk by your car and start taking pictures of it...they won't do that for a dirty car - I promise. Best of Luck!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Another “show” venue to check out is Cars and Coffee. No judging just car enthusiasts. They have a national website to check for local events. The local one near me is held at the Circuit of the Americas and draws 100s of cars onto the show field parked by manufacturer.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

As others stated clean it up, park it and that is about it.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Dls1dls1
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Go and show

My wife and I have started going to many of the smaller shows in Indiana that are typically tied in to some type of local fair or festival. Not many C4's at most shows and we get to see small towns we would have never visited. Occasionally we win a dust collector, but always enjoy the folks we meet. I also try to get kids interested in the car to take a look and will always offer to let mom or dad take a pic of them behind the wheel. The parents are most appreciative and I hope we may be planting that seed for a future car guy or gal. Kids today don't have the car culture and in many cases I think if they are just exposed to cars it might stick with them. The best "trophy" I have received is to hear that kid walking away saying "I want a car like that when I grow up !" So go show.

Last edited by Dls1dls1; 02-20-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Necessary mods should include a loaded cooler, lawn chairs, sun protection, and an affinity for like minded people.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:58 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I like the Corvette and classic and hot rod car shows. When there is a hot rod / classic show, I usually bring my 72, but I do not bring the C7. A couple of years back, I was going to a local car show (hot rod /classics) and my wife asked me which car I would show. I said that of course I would be entering my 72. She then told me she would like to bring the C7, so I just said "whatever.". We ended up winning 2 categories; 1st place for 70s cars and 1st place for post 2000 car. It was a fun day but I really never go to a show with the intention of winning, it is about being around car people and looking at other cars.

When we do the all corvette shows, we always bring both cars. The Corvette Club shows are almost always for charity, so that makes it worthwhile.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Necessary mods should include a loaded cooler, lawn chairs, sun protection, and an affinity for like minded people.
Know it's an old thread but see I did not post and I go to many Shows BUT not with the Corvette, with my 19 year old street rod that always comes back with a Trophy!

Brought my Grand Sport once when it was new and agree Mods are not needed but a few simple things are fun for the folks who come. These are some pics of what I brought:

Yep it won a trophy BUT my Street Rod was very upset when I pulled into the garage that she didn't go so it was the last for the Vette! I go to see my other car friends and watch kids smile!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-20-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

I would have to say events like cars and coffee are the more enjoyable ones for me. I have been to very large Corvette shows in the past that are judged by the participants. I’ll bet you can guess that the largest groups (clubs) that arrive take home the most hardware because they’re all voting for each other.
Call me a sore loser if you’d like. The cruise-ins and meets that are simply car enthusiasts out to see some cool cars and meet new folks are super fun. I could be wrong, but the majority of the trophies are usually taken home by the guy that pours the most money into mods. Maybe it’s just me...

Last edited by stevettec7; 02-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default One Thing

Most ad hoc car shows are easy in not easy out. You park and park for the day. If you aren't car show savvy, you won't have packed a cooler, snacks, chairs, shade umbrella, and a double dose of patience. The war stories from quasi know it alls, the inane questions, folks bending over and peering in, they will drive you nuts. And you can't just pack up and go. There is the crowd to contend with and likely you'll find you can't get your car and you out until the show is 'officially' over. 8-10 hours is a long haul for those not ga-ga for this type of event.

Last edited by papillion; 02-20-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Tell me about car shows

Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Michael Griffin
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When you go to car shows do you let children sit in your car? I DO It is so exciting to watch the looks on their face when they get in. Some kids may never ever in life have an opportunity to sit in a Vett more less buy one. Its only a car and they will not hurt it. You never know what influence you will have on one of these bright upcoming leaders of our future. Who does the same ?
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Griffin:
Mayor111 (02-20-2019), papillion (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

I stop by a few car shows here and there. Very rarely enter my car in them tho, bc all too often you're stuck there until its over. I don't care to walk around all day in that setting.
Also, I wouldn't enter a stock new car into a show. I would feel like an idiot if for some odd reason I won something with a stock car thats like every other one in the world.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

My wife loves to do this. The kids get a huge kick out of it, so what is the harm?

Originally Posted by Michael Griffin
When you go to car shows do you let children sit in your car? I DO It is so exciting to watch the looks on their face when they get in. Some kids may never ever in life have an opportunity to sit in a Vett more less buy one. Its only a car and they will not hurt it. You never know what influence you will have on one of these bright upcoming leaders of our future. Who does the same ?

Last edited by crawfish333; 02-20-2019 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Griffin (02-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Help! Tell me about car shows