C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto up annnnnnnnd Auto Down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,818 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Default Auto up annnnnnnnd Auto Down?

Hm... Coming out of a car show on Saturday I hit the auto-up move on my passenger window. As expected it went up all by itself and then came all the way down by itself. No, I wanted up. Hit the auto-up again and same thing up to the top and then down to the bottom. Not as engineered...

I finally just held the darn button up and it went up and stayed. I then basked in the cold AC (it was 95 out there in that parking lot!).

Any one else experience this or am I special?

Elmer
Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Me Too

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Hm... Coming out of a car show on Saturday I hit the auto-up move on my passenger window. As expected it went up all by itself and then came all the way down by itself. No, I wanted up. Hit the auto-up again and same thing up to the top and then down to the bottom. Not as engineered...

I finally just held the darn button up and it went up and stayed. I then basked in the cold AC (it was 95 out there in that parking lot!).

Any one else experience this or am I special?

Elmer
Happens most often when I'm putting the top up.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Happens once in a while, I'm sure they are overly sensitive so the windows dont crush fingers.

I've tried re-indexing them and it still does it sometimes, mostly on the pass side. Never with the roof off.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Hm... Sounds like I might need to retract the "Not as engineered..." thing. It was acting like a 3 year old! "NO! I don't wanna go up!"
Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Hm... Sounds like I might need to retract the "Not as engineered..." thing. It was acting like a 3 year old! "NO! I don't wanna go up!"
Most likely there is some pressure standard that the windows must meet, like a garage door opener so they dont crush someone on the way down.

Maybe once the seals wear in it wont do it as much, mine had done it maybe 5 times in three months and 3500 miles.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by kp
Most likely there is some pressure standard that the windows must meet, like a garage door opener so they dont crush someone on the way down.

Maybe once the seals wear in it wont do it as much, mine had done it maybe 5 times in three months and 3500 miles.
Sounds reasonable. I'll keep the car and overlook this nuance and see if if improves with age.

Thanks,

Elmer
Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The only time I've noticed this anomaly is after putting the removable top back on. Now when I reinstall the top, I just roll the window all the way up while holding the window switch and then roll it down and back up. This seems to keep it from reoccurring. It definitely has to do with Window indexing being rather sensitive. I suspect it's caused by the new window seals and or slight differences in the window seal tolerances when you reinstall the top.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:54 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds reasonable. I'll keep the car and overlook this nuance and see if it improves with age.

Thanks,

Elmer
Elmer,

As I'm sure you know, many things improve with age.

I do think it may happen more often in a Vert because of the up and down of the top and how the gaskets, etc are squeezed when the top is down.

It's done it to me once in 300 miles.

Ed
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to perform the express-up reset. As the seals wear in and the top is removed and reinstalled the window seals take a set. Do the steps below from you manual to reset it.

Window Indexing and
Express-Up Reset
Window indexing may be required if the vehicle battery has been recharged or disconnected, or is not
working. Express-up and the convertible top will not function until the windows are reset. After battery
power is restored, a message or code displays in the Driver Information Center. See Driver Information Center (DIC) on
page 5-23.
Once power is restored:
1. Close the doors.
2. Start the vehicle.
3. Hold the window switch up to the fully closed position.

I believe the car will beep when the setting is memorized. If not, hold the power up button for at least 5 seconds.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by mjw930
You need to perform the express-up reset. As the seals wear in and the top is removed and reinstalled the window seals take a set. Do the steps below from you manual to reset it.

Window Indexing and
Express-Up Reset
Window indexing may be required if the vehicle battery has been recharged or disconnected, or is not
working. Express-up and the convertible top will not function until the windows are reset. After battery
power is restored, a message or code displays in the Driver Information Center. See Driver Information Center (DIC) on
page 5-23.
Once power is restored:
1. Close the doors.
2. Start the vehicle.
3. Hold the window switch up to the fully closed position.

I believe the car will beep when the setting is memorized. If not, hold the power up button for at least 5 seconds.
So, in summary, you're saying that every time I put the top down/up, on the new C7, that I will need to reindex the windows? Really? 7 years with the C6 and the only reindex performed was when the power was disconnected.

This seems like a possible corrective action but it seems burdensome.

Elmer
Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So, in summary, you're saying that every time I put the top down/up, on the new C7, that I will need to reindex the windows? Really? 7 years with the C6 and the only reindex performed was when the power was disconnected.

This seems like a possible corrective action but it seems burdensome.

Elmer
No, he is saying that when your battery dies or when the battery is disconnected, in addition to indexing the windows, you may need to reset the Express Up window setting. In some cases, you may need to change the express up settings when the car is new as the window seals are not broken in and moving the top may effect the tolerances. If you experience the auto up than down anomaly, simply hold the window switch in the up position for several seconds to reset it.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:16 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by slief
No, he is saying that when your battery dies or when the battery is disconnected, in addition to indexing the windows, you may need to reset the Express Up window setting. In some cases, you may need to change the express up settings when the car is new as the window seals are not broken in and moving the top may effect the tolerances. If you experience the auto up than down anomaly, simply hold the window switch in the up position for several seconds to reset it.
But that is one in the same. Express up indexing is the same as indexing the windows. The procedure for both scenarios is the same. Put the window down, hold the up button until the window stops and continue to hold the up button for 3 - 5 seconds. Same Same is it not?

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Auto up annnnnnnnd Auto Down?

Quick Reply: Auto up annnnnnnnd Auto Down?