C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apsis: Do you have an uncomfortable experience with C7 Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

I wonder why they didn't just go with Recaro seats in the C7 instead of going with a brand new design. The basic design is at least thirty years old and has stood the test of time. I have a pair I originally bought for an '85 Omni GLH, then moved them to a Neon Sport, now use one of them on a swivel base as an office chair. They are very comfortable (though they seem like rocks when you first sit in them) for long periods of time and give excellent support in turns. I'm currently 5' 11" & 218 with really muscular legs, and they've got plenty of room for me.

My take on the Recaros is that they are some German guy's idea of what your back and bottom should be shaped like, but he's right. I've never had a complaint from anyone who sat in them for more than a few minutes, though a lot of people didn't them like at first. Mine are LX model with seat exactly the same shape as those in EvoX2008's linked photo, though less aggressive backrest bolsters.

They also are very sturdy, with a backrest that's dense foam over two layers of stamped steel. They are going to protect you from anything thrown forward in a rear collision.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:03 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoX2008
I'm really on the fence now as to which seats to order. I'd like the comp seats, as they seem the most similar to the Recaro seats in my Evo X. I'm 6"4' and about 240lbs. I'm wondering if I should just go for the GT seats or if I should spring for the comp seats. Trying them before I but would help - but I can't find any comp seats to sit in! I don't suppose anyone is familiar with the Evo seats lol? Anyone have any measurements as to how wide the comp seats are across the base? From the pictures, both seats look to be less aggressive fitment wise than the ones that I'm used to (but may flare out less towards the front).

Pic of the Recaro's that I'm referencing at the bottom:
http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2007...r-evo-x-debut/
I haven't sat in the comp seats, but at your size you'd be taking more of a risk with a seat that has a firmer cushion unless you try them first. The seats in the EVO look like they'd be more comfortable.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:27 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I'm really on the fence now as to which seats to order. I'd like the comp seats, as they seem the most similar to the Recaro seats in my Evo X. I'm 6"4' and about 240lbs. I'm wondering if I should just go for the GT seats or if I should spring for the comp seats. Trying them before I but would help - but I can't find any comp seats to sit in! I don't suppose anyone is familiar with the Evo seats lol? Anyone have any measurements as to how wide the comp seats are across the base? From the pictures, both seats look to be less aggressive fitment wise than the ones that I'm used to (but may flare out less towards the front).

I'm guessing that if the standard seats push against some peoples legs causing discomfort, the Comp seats would do it more considering the larger bolsters.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

6' 200
comp seats

I sit on the seats, not in them. if you are bigger than me I would recommend non-comps.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:46 PM
EvoX2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know - that'll save me $2500! I do really like the look of the comp seats, but the price was hard to stomach anyway. If I eventually end up needing something more supportive, I can use the $2500 saved towards it I guess.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 PM
jgeer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the OP. Have over 10thousand miles on Vin #70. Am 6ft 2in 210lbs. If I put my left foot on the foot rest-brace, the pressure on my left thigh definitely increases. I still love the seats more than my c6.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Drove my car 2300 to get it home and it was the most comfortable ride ever. Non-comp seats. I'm 5'9'' and 180. Great car.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the GT Seats and I'm tall and there comfortable.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

If anybody finds the side bolsters uncomfortable because your thighs are resting on them and not between them, I recommend drilling holes in the foam before shaving it down. This preserves the shape and allows you to vary the firmness based on the number, size and location of the holes. I did this to my honda, which had rock hard bolsters 9 years ago and it made a night and day difference. If it doesn't work, a new seat cushion foam isn't terribly expensive.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Randy WS6
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
If anybody finds the side bolsters uncomfortable because your thighs are resting on them and not between them, I recommend drilling holes in the foam before shaving it down. This preserves the shape and allows you to vary the firmness based on the number, size and location of the holes. I did this to my honda, which had rock hard bolsters 9 years ago and it made a night and day difference. If it doesn't work, a new seat cushion foam isn't terribly expensive.
Sound like a great idea, I just need to know how to take the lower seat cover off ,lol......
Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Fasterback
Navigator

Default Great Add on

I read you had a flat seat made to fit on top of your seat. Can you hook me up Id like to order the same as you have. Can you post his tel number & name?

Originally Posted by rdhadj
I have exactly the same issue. Pinches so bad in my left leg area that I get numbness down the sciatic nerve. Had an upholstory shop make a cushion that molds to the seat shape on the bottom but is flat across the top. It is covered in the same leather and in the same design as the original seat so you do not even notice it being there. Seems to work much better. Takes the pressure off the nerve pinch area. Taking a 4000 mile run over the next 2 weeks, so I will report further upon my return.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by apsisusa
This past weekend we had memorial getaway ride with our new C7 Vert and it's about 1200 miles trip.

I found out the vertical section of seat was ok but the horizontal section was soooooooo uncomfortable especially the side bolster where the thigh sat over. I even felt pain and num so I had to lift up my leg to prevent my thigh laying over the bolster.

On my way home I tried to push the side bolster down and outward with my hand and then I felt much more comfortable. I felt the way the side bolster was designed it seemed the angle of cushion was too sharp and it created too much pressure on the thigh.

My wife had same experience although she is skinnier.

I am wondering if it's just me or some of you have similar experience with C7 Seats?

Some of you may have bigger butt than us and weigh heavier. Just wondering if you feel better since you may sit over the entire horizontal section?

Like to hear your experience.

If many of you have same or similar experience, then we may consider to do some mod for C7 Seats to improve the comfortness. (?)
I'm 5 ft 9 " and 170 lbs and I drove 3250 miles from KC to Seattle the southern route with no problems !!! Actually the side bolsters were great but you have to find a happy medium for your body type with the steering adjustments and seat adjustments there should be something that's comfortable !!! To me ( previous vette was a C5 )the seats and the headlights were the greatest improvements !!! Wayne
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
I wonder why they didn't just go with Recaro seats in the C7 instead of going with a brand new design. The basic design is at least thirty years old and has stood the test of time. I have a pair I originally bought for an '85 Omni GLH, then moved them to a Neon Sport, now use one of them on a swivel base as an office chair. They are very comfortable (though they seem like rocks when you first sit in them) for long periods of time and give excellent support in turns. I'm currently 5' 11" & 218 with really muscular legs, and they've got plenty of room for me.

My take on the Recaros is that they are some German guy's idea of what your back and bottom should be shaped like, but he's right. I've never had a complaint from anyone who sat in them for more than a few minutes, though a lot of people didn't them like at first. Mine are LX model with seat exactly the same shape as those in EvoX2008's linked photo, though less aggressive backrest bolsters.

They also are very sturdy, with a backrest that's dense foam over two layers of stamped steel. They are going to protect you from anything thrown forward in a rear collision.
The old Recaros were like sitting on a park bench, as far as firmness goes. I couldn't stand them for more than a few minutes. The new ones are a night and day difference, much softer, and more comfortable, yet provide excellent support.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-29-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6' 2" and 215lbs. I have had the opportunity to try the competition seats and found them uncomfortable. I ordered my 2015 with the standard GT seats which fit me very comfortably.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 PM
EvoX2008
Instructor

Originally Posted by silversmoke1957
I'm 6' 2" and 215lbs. I have had the opportunity to try the competition seats and found them uncomfortable. I ordered my 2015 with the standard GT seats which fit me very comfortably.
Can you tell me what area you specifically found uncomfortable. I just went to the local dealership and sat in the regular seats. Despite my size, my thighs don't seem to contact the side bolsters like some have complained about. I'm more or less worried that the side bolsters on the comp seats would be too narrow; however, I'm a bit disappointed that the stock seats don't seem to provide my upper body much if any lateral support as compared to what I'm used to. For reference, the side and bottom bolsters on my current car are much deeper than the ones on the vette's GT seats.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 AM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you tell me what area you specifically found uncomfortable. I just went to the local dealership and sat in the regular seats. Despite my size, my thighs don't seem to contact the side bolsters like some have complained about. I'm more or less worried that the side bolsters on the comp seats would be too narrow; however, I'm a bit disappointed that the stock seats don't seem to provide my upper body much if any lateral support as compared to what I'm used to. For reference, the side and bottom bolsters on my current car are much deeper than the ones on the vette's GT seats.
I found the comp seats to be just a bit too small. They did squeeze my thighs pretty tightly while I found the standard GT seats to fit me very comfortably. I'm not a track racer so maximum lateral support is not an issue for me. My C7 is going to be a cruiser so I wanted seats that were comfortable in that kind of environment. You may have a different physical build or you may have a different seating requirement and therefore your mileage my vary in your satisfaction with the comp seats. They definitely look cool, but for me they fell short in comfort.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 AM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes. 6'3" and 208 lbs. base seats.

Get notified of new replies

To Apsis: Do you have an uncomfortable experience with C7 Seats?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Man I hope this isn't the case. I bought the new C7 as our "road trip" vehicle to visit our kids in distant states (both just at 1000 miles from home).

I have 375 miles on the clock in 11 days so I have no long distance seat time, but I'll be really pissed if we aren't comfortable on long trips.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:16 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by andoneward
You hit the nail straight on the head and the only one I have seen to mention the white elephant on these threads.

Reading all these posts has lead me to the conclusion that many owners with issues would fit better in the seats if they ate more salads and did vigorous physical activity. I know this is a bold statement but look at the trends of how people describe themselves and their issues.

I am 6'2", 195 lbs, 32" waist, 46" chest, and in shape and these seats are absolutely wonderful. I'm grateful that I am not any taller because I wouldn't have considered this car as an option.

If more space or seat redesign is desired then check out the local upholstery shop like one of the other posters did.

Bottom line: small car = small cabin = not everyone is going to fit and/or be comfortable
(which I know is an understatement)

Thanks for the sanctimonious lecture. That doesn't change the fact that bodies come in different sizes. When I was 6ft 210lbs, I was still a 38 waist. I carry all of my weight in my legs.

Last edited by 4GS7; 08-08-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
I think your idea is the way to go, I saw you posted on this topic someplace before and think it is a great idea! I have an appointment next Thursday at the dealership to have them remove the seat and strip the upholstery off the bottom so I can drill holes in the bolsters. I'll post up a report after I get it done and have some time in the car. I was thinking of using a 5/16 dia. drill and doing both sides even though it is only the left side that is bothering me.

Quick Reply: Apsis: Do you have an uncomfortable experience with C7 Seats?