Sponsored by:

Sold my 2013 Porsche 911 for this Z51 Cyber Gray Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Robert Durff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
I haven't been able to get a test drive so my concern is the overall feel vs the 911. I'm concerned the C7 may still feel similar to the C6 or more of a muscle car feel vs. the euro feel. How was your experience?
This plus the quality of the interior were my two areas of worry going into this. I didn't order my C7 until I had a chance to do a long test drive in a C7 Z51 coupe. Compared to the 997, which was the last 911 with hydraulic steering, the C7 does lose some road feel. (And it should, as it's a front engine car.) But not much, and the weight of the steering feels right to me. The handling and balance blew me away; the adjustable shocks work better than in my 997.1 (about the same as Porsche's latest); and I'm looking forward to the trick rear diff on the track.

Is the Porsche a better handling car? Yeah, a little. But really, they're both very good, very different handling cars. Different feel; both engaging.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Durff
This plus the quality of the interior were my two areas of worry going into this. I didn't order my C7 until I had a chance to do a long test drive in a C7 Z51 coupe. Compared to the 997, which was the last 911 with hydraulic steering, the C7 does lose some road feel. (And it should, as it's a front engine car.) But not much, and the weight of the steering feels right to me. The handling and balance blew me away; the adjustable shocks work better than in my 997.1 (about the same as Porsche's latest); and I'm looking forward to the trick rear diff on the track.

Is the Porsche a better handling car? Yeah, a little. But really, they're both very good, very different handling cars. Different feel; both engaging.
Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 PM
DucMan 888
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by entman
I'll try to answer some of the questions . The 911 handles great, but the electronic steering in the 991 has less road feel then the 997 had. I enjoyed my time with the 3 new 911's I had. This is my first corvette. I agree the build quality of the corvette is not yet quite to the same level as the porsche but the new C7 is a nice step in that direction. Coming out of the 2013 911 I do not feel like I stepped down, I actually like the C 7 3LT interior . When I say not quite the same level I mean, for example the leather on my passenger seat was not sewn straight on one of the corners and is bunched up. This is something that is not a big deal but it would not have been delivered this way on a Porsche or a Mercedes. My car has some scratches in the clear coat near the front which I plan to have buffed out and my car came with a nick in the driver front door. I am not trying nit pick , I am just saying the QC could be better. The exterior of the C7 in my opinion is nicest looking vette since the C2 . The C7 as all of you already know is a fun and exciting drivers car. I am still in the honey moon phase so I still find it exciting every time I get in it. Yes it can feel and sound like the muscle car it is but I am happy to report that this car handles great . After having 3 Porsches I just did not find the car too exciting anymore. The C7 acceleration is so fast that I am not able to really see what this car can do because I already at the speed limit barely getting out of second gear
Nice read, objective without bias to the past or current choices. Enjoy the ride looks good.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the nice Vert
Old 05-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by DucMan 888
Nice read, objective without bias to the past or current choices. Enjoy the ride looks good.

Agree 100%
Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Robert Durff

My opinion is that compared to the C7, the 991's steering is somewhat twitchy. Finding that the 991's are very sensitive to tire pressures, I run Comfort/Partial Load settings. Anything above that and it gets real twitchy with a touch of wandering on the highway. I would guess that the C7's longer wheelbase is a major advantage (in addition to having ~50% of its weight over the front tires).
S.

Quick Reply: Sold my 2013 Porsche 911 for this Z51 Cyber Gray Convertible