Sponsored by:

I am a little pissed right now

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:29 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I am a little pissed right now

I just got my car back from my dealer for an infotainment issue . While the car was there I asked my service advisor to check the rear diff. fluid. I don't know why but I just crawled underneath the car and it is very low !!!!! I stuck my finger in the hole and I could not feel a thing . I am going to be the first person on line this morning . I don't even know if I can sleep . Pissed is not even the term right now .....
Old 06-21-2014, 01:52 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Breath deep.
Seriously, it's easier to deal with the dealer when you're calm (for both of you). Good luck getting this taken care of.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:01 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

I'm cool and I am sure there is enough fluid to get by because I have 4300 miles and no problems . It just pisses me off that they can't do a little thing like that when i asked them to check it ......
Old 06-21-2014, 02:05 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Does the service sheet you got after the service state that they checked the diff level? When the service advisor wrote up your service did he list the rear diff check? Did you verify he had it listed?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:14 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Good question zymurgy and I just checked the sheet , not listed on the sheet . The service drive was packed and my S.A just grabbed my keys and got me going because it was the second time in for the infotainment issue . I called him and specifically told him to check . I guess I can blame myself somewhat . I have a very good relationship with my S.A. and he is a good guy but I should have checked my papers before I left . I am going in this morning and I am sure they will just add some and I will be on my way . It's nice to be able to come here and let it out a little bit .....
Old 06-21-2014, 02:19 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
Good question zymurgy and I just checked the sheet , not listed on the sheet . The service drive was packed and my S.A just grabbed my keys and got me going because it was the second time in for the infotainment issue . I called him and specifically told him to check . I guess I can blame myself somewhat . I have a very good relationship with my S.A. and he is a good guy but I should have checked my papers before I left . I am going in this morning and I am sure they will just add some and I will be on my way . It's nice to be able to come here and let it out a little bit .....
He probably had every intention of adding the diff check to your service order but got sidetracked by another customer (call, visit) and it slipped his mind. Glad to hear you have a good relationship with your S.A. This should not change that.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
He probably had every intention of adding the diff check to your service order but got sidetracked by another customer (call, visit) and it slipped his mind. Glad to hear you have a good relationship with your S.A. This should not change that.
It won't , I really like the guy and he always goes the extra mile for me . I just got really worried when I felt around in the hole and it was really low . I now sit here and realize that there is enough fluid in there for the time being and they will just add some this morning . Life will go on . I get a little excited sometimes and I never lose my cool at the dealership .....
Old 06-21-2014, 02:33 AM
howellvette
8th Gear

Default You should be ashamed

It won't , I really like the guy and he always goes the extra mile for me . I just got really worried when I felt around in the hole and it was really low . I now sit here and realize that there is enough fluid in there for the time being and they will just add some this morning . Life will go on . I get a little excited sometimes and I never lose my cool at the dealership .....
Take a gallon of Gentleman Jack to him and split it between the two of you and do burnouts in the parking lot down by the Sparks LOL Yall be cool
Old 06-21-2014, 02:38 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by howellvette
Take a gallon of Gentleman Jack to him and split it between the two of you and do burnouts in the parking lot down by the Sparks LOL Yall be cool
Probably a good idea . I wonder how many people are driving around right now that have no clue about the level of their diff. fluid . I also wonder if down the line we will start to see failures of said component .....
Old 06-21-2014, 10:27 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Weren't the low differential levels just on a few Z51 cars, or is it more widespread than that?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Ok , update , I went to the dealer and they took it right in . Apparantly the fluid is not supposed to be right up to the weep hole . The Tech and the service manager assured me that my fluid was full . The tech stuck his finger in and showed me the fluid . They told me that if it is filled up too high it will start blowing out the sides . So , I would be careful if you are checking yourself .....
Old 06-21-2014, 11:01 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Weren't the low differential levels just on a few Z51 cars, or is it more widespread than that?
Others have stated that the fluid in some non-Z51 cars were low . I say , better safe than sorry . I checked mine just for good measure and I am glad I did , even though the level was fine .....
Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok , update , I went to the dealer and they took it right in . Apparantly the fluid is not supposed to be right up to the weep hole . The Tech and the service manager assured me that my fluid was full . The tech stuck his finger in and showed me the fluid . They told me that if it is filled up too high it will start blowing out the sides . So , I would be careful if you are checking yourself .....
The owner’s manual says the diff fluid should be to the bottom of the fill hole. That’s what has been the case in the past in most cars if I’m not mistaken. Don
Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by W88fixer
The owner’s manual says the diff fluid should be to the bottom of the fill hole. That’s what has been the case in the past in most cars if I’m not mistaken. Don
I must have understood it differently . I thought you should be able to stick your finger in and feel it immediately . Apparently you have to stick it in a little ways .....
Old 06-21-2014, 12:22 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Others have stated that the fluid in some non-Z51 cars were low . I say , better safe than sorry . I checked mine just for good measure and I am glad I did , even though the level was fine .....
I just found another post where a non-Z51 differential was low that was built in June.

I checked mine and it was about 1/2" below the fill hole.
It took about 18 oz. to bring it up to the bottom of the hole.
Maybe GM is trying to keep the level a little low so they will not have problems with the half shaft seals leaking, like they did on the C5s.

Also, an easy way to check just how far below the hole the level is, is to take a twist tie (like you use on trash bags) bend about 1/2" at a 90 degree angle. Inset it in the hole and lower the long part until it rests on the bottom of the hole. Carefully pull it out without touching the sides of the hole, and you can read the level on the short part.
That way, if you cannot touch it with your finger, at least you will know exactly how low it is.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:29 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
No, non-Z51s had a TSB. My differential fluid was down 1.25 quarts at 4300 miles. There is a TSB on it, but my selling dealership did NOTHING. My buddy and I discovered it was low and filled it. A forum dealership then drained the oil, checked for signs of excessive wear and refilled it.

The TSB is:

Bulletin No.: 13384
Date: November 2013

Google it to fine the full bulletin.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:21 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

I'm cool and I am sure there is enough fluid to get by because I have 4300 miles and no problems . It just pisses me off that they can't do a little thing like that when i asked them to check it ......
Since you are going back, I would ask the dealer to note how much they have to add.
Mine was about 1/2" below the hole, and I had to add around 18 oz. to get it up to the bottom of the fill hole.
When I last changed the diff. fluid on my C5 Z06, it only held 1.8 qts., so being2/3 qt. low cannot be good for it.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-21-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I am a little pissed right now

Old 06-22-2014, 01:23 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...or words to that effect.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good that the diff fluid level was OK. Never hurts to ask though - the peace of mind is priceless.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:45 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

I appreciate all the feedback my post has provided . Hopefully this will help others out there . I feel better now after going to the dealer . The tech was able to put his finger in and get a reading and said the level was good . The dealership I go to has some pretty nice people there and they even took me in the back to show me that the level was ok , at least that's what they said and that's good enough for me . I still think that everyone should check theirs as the rear diff. has very easy access .....

Last edited by cb98coupe; 06-22-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: I am a little pissed right now