C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Vette? NORMAL things the Vette does.....

Old 02-21-2015, 07:56 AM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default A few more...

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
Excellent post for prior owners of a C6. Nice Job!
Heavy brake dust on Z51s....triple horn-peep on door closing/locking...slight kick-in feel with cylinder deactivation...cell phone cameras pointed at the car almost daily!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine since November and I have the Red X problem. This weekend I'm in a Houston to help my daughter and sure enough the X appeared when I punched in her address.

Just by accident I went to the Nav menu and clicked the option to pinpoint my Current GPS position. It locked in and the X went away. Happened twice more on stops in-route.

Sure, I need to drop it off for service and have the dealer fix it, but until I do this is a good workaround, so far.

[/I]
Old 02-21-2015, 03:32 PM
DavePowell
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
I dId wear polarized sunglasses and the HUD did not disappear. Others have also said it does not disappear.
Sunglasses are horizontally polarized because low angle sun reflections tend to be vertical. LCD watches would have the same disappearing issue, but they're built with horizontal polarization like our displays.

Try turning your sunglasses 90 degrees and you'll see the effect on the displays.

Dave
Old 03-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Walt Wilson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
...but you might think you have a "broken" car. A few things on the car are normal, but the sales guy did not tell you. If you feel or see the following, they are NORMAL and part of the C7 experience. Many other threads here on WHY it is this way, this is just a list:

1.Tires/front end chatter/clunk on full lock slow turns
2.Water drips from car after shutoff (small amts, no oilyness, just water)
3.The motor top makes clicking noises when running/idling (direct injectors)
4.The motor will turn a few revs before lighting up on start ( engine pressurizing fuel system)
5. Oil may read different levels on either side of dipstick. Rotate it once before reading, or take the average of both sides.
6. The trunk will be hard to close when new, many report it gets better with mileage, some do not.
7. when filling up with fuel or unlocking the driver door, you will hear a few clicks near the fuel door, more than one...
8. the indentation in the Styrofoam battery cover is not missing anything, it's for a euro tow eye bolt that is not supplied on US cars, no inflator either in US cars.
9. Upon full acceleration of a automatic, when shifting, it will backfire "bark", due to computer settings/ unburned fuel.

Please feel free to add others to this thread, I will keep the list up to date... John & Steve - can we sticky this?
With the A8 in D and using paddles to select up/down shifts, the A8 goes back to auto (D) after about 10 seconds. you can force it back to auto (D) immediately by holding right paddle for a few seconds rather than waiting the time-out. If selecting a lower gear for some hillside braking, the A8 will stay in selected gear for as long as it determines that the engine is still being used for braking.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Gobi
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 32 Posts

Kinda related to this topic ...I have a 14 but am still discovering new features every few weeks. Just discovered that the radio will warn you if an selected artist or song is being played on any channel. I think that this is XM or Sirius only, use Tune Select. Also can save certain songs to your iPod automatically the next time you connect it to your Vette. Still playing with all this. Also pushing the top of the outside door handle opens drivers door the lower portion unlocks both sides. Probably in the owners manual somewhere but I missed it. Also the background on the Nav sky changes with the weather, no kidding check it out! What
A car!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:36 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Does the Stingray still have the little "mood" light on the bottom of the mirror?
No. I miss that from my 2008!!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 AM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The clicking heard when using the directional signals is synthetically created through the driver side radio speaker. This is not unique to the Corvette, but apparently all GM vehicles, at least in the 3 vehicle sample in my garage: 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2014 Stingray, and 2015 GMC Canyon.

This was posted a few days ago on the Cadillac Forum and surprised me.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:06 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

...but you might think you have a "broken" car. A few things on the car are normal, but the sales guy did not tell you. If you feel or see the following, they are NORMAL and part of the C7 experience. Many other threads here on WHY it is this way, this is just a list:

4.The motor will turn a few revs before lighting up on start ( engine pressurizing fuel system)
5. Oil may read different levels on either side of dipstick. Rotate it once before reading, or take the average of both sides.
6. The trunk will be hard to close when new, many report it gets better with mileage, some do not.
7. when filling up with fuel or unlocking the driver door, you will hear a few clicks near the fuel door, more than one...
8. the indentation in the Styrofoam battery cover is not missing anything, it's for a euro tow eye bolt that is not supplied on US cars, no inflator either in US cars.
9. Upon full acceleration of a automatic, when shifting, it will backfire "bark", due to computer settings/ unburned fuel.

Please feel free to add others to this thread, I will keep the list up to date... John & Steve - can we sticky this?

I find it funny you call things that are badly designed or difficult to use the "corvette experience" hahaha
Old 05-02-2015, 11:52 PM
tomarsyd
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read this thread before and was aware of most of these items. But now that I actually own one I would like more info on number 3. To recap:

So I took the car for a drive this evening and drove mostly without the radio (most of my driving so far has been with music playing) and was really noticing what I would call a "ping" or something like a valve tap. It was not at an idle. It tended to be most noticeable around 1700-1900 RPMs when in 4th gear and at a normal city driving speed somewhere int the 40-50mph range. For some reason it really had me somewhat worried tonight that something was wrong and then I couldn't NOT hear it after noticing it.

So, does this fit within the realm of 'norm' for the direct injector sound that is described?

As an aside, I definitely have the problem with the Entertainment Screen flicker. I've recorded it and plan on taking the car to the dealer in the next week or so for them to hopefully replace the center screen.

Here's the video:
Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tomarsyd
I have read this thread before and was aware of most of these items. But now that I actually own one I would like more info on number 3. To recap:

So I took the car for a drive this evening and drove mostly without the radio (most of my driving so far has been with music playing) and was really noticing what I would call a "ping" or something like a valve tap. It was not at an idle. It tended to be most noticeable around 1700-1900 RPMs when in 4th gear and at a normal city driving speed somewhere int the 40-50mph range. For some reason it really had me somewhat worried tonight that something was wrong and then I couldn't NOT hear it after noticing it.

So, does this fit within the realm of 'norm' for the direct injector sound that is described?

As an aside, I definitely have the problem with the Entertainment Screen flicker. I've recorded it and plan on taking the car to the dealer in the next week or so for them to hopefully replace the center screen.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1TTI-jU-Y
yes what you are hearing is ''norm '' but keep in mind that word is used alot by gm and the service tecs. one of the sounds your hearing is the fuel pump under pres.(thats what service said anyway).
shame ,,, people hear me start the car up and idle they say that motor sure is loud sounds like its broke
good luck on your screen
Old 05-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Still amazed at people's reaction to this car. Just last night a skate boarder went out of his way to give me thumbs up. Surprised!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 AM
1776DAVE
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
It attracts every rice burner and mustang into challenging you into some sort of challenge. I seriously had some dumb kid in a ford fiesta come to a dead stop in the middle of two lanes blocking me and then he drove off like I was going to race him for real. I pulled up next to him at the light and revved really loud and the kid basically reduced the life of his engine in half just to give it a little a tire chirp and I just slowly took off forward.
I was surprised with my 76 stingray at this phenomena and called it the " got to (pick one-pass /drag/ smoke/ show off ) the vette" syndromes some how I never thought of them as having a pos car,,,
jest that they wanted to feel that their car was good for them too..
we all drive what we can or want... I happen to like good cars but have drove ones that required the dally fix or repair actions with the extra water in the back my self... the first time I revved that vette and watched some kid get pulled over when they smoked the tires at a light.. I felt bad ...
so I never encouraged them again...I know I can so why push it
LOL crasy thing is I had some thing similar to this happen with my 66 gt mustang in 1968!
yea I thought I had a hot rod mustang tell a VW totally smoked me one day off the line and left me in the distance...
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 AM
BlueFinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In an A6 or A8 under hard acceleration or hard cornering you may get a notice "Performance Shift Active". That is good! I noticed that it holds lower gears longer and gives you better performance.
The following users liked this post:
Blue666's (01-01-2018)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 PM
2Que4U
Advanced

Default Thanks For The Post!

Great information.

I still can't get use to the metallic clicking noise the vehicle makes when it changes from V4 to V8 mode. The dealership says I will have to live with it.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was just me. Seems like every one pulls right through my back window.

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
SUV's and pickups are magically attracted to driving as close to your rear end as possible!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Dufox
Intermediate

Default magnetic park

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
… and magnetic park to go with the mag ride. There will almost always be something next to it no matter how far out you park.
Very, very true. I always wondered how they get their kicks.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Dufox
Intermediate

Default closing the trunk properly without slamming it

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Yes a good push latches the trunk lid without fingerprints. Not really a slam, you will discover the correct method.
The best way I found was to leave a door ajar before closing the trunk. just let it drop and it will close nicely. Then you close the door.

Get notified of new replies

To New to the Vette? NORMAL things the Vette does.....

Old 11-19-2015, 06:53 AM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

There are green bars on both sides of the driver screen GPS display when a turn is coming up and the turn arrow is displayed. The bars get smaller as the turn gets closer and disappear completely when it is time to make the turn.

I just noticed this on a recent trip. Nice feature. It's much easier to time turns than watching distances in hundred of feet dropping to zero.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

SASprof and Glen e thanks for the post You guys nailed it. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:20 PM
dataporter
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
....triple horn-peep on door closing/locking...
I think that means a key fob is still in the car, doesn't it? I figured out that it does this when my wife leaves her purse (with her fob in it) in the car.

Last edited by dataporter; 11-19-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the Vette? NORMAL things the Vette does.....