C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Vette? NORMAL things the Vette does.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:07 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
I noticed that too (AC off).
After some research, it is apparently a common problem with the C7, caused either by the hot radiator exhaust from the top of the hood being sucked into the cabin air inlets at the base of the windshield, or inadequate insulation of the cabin air inlet ducting allowing engine bay heat to transfer into the cabin vent air, or a combination of both.
Reported solutions are to
1) use the A/C, or
2) turn on the A/C to precool the ducting (which lasts for an indeterminate period of time) or
3) use outside air from only the lower vents...
I have yet to confirm these theories, so YMMV
FWIW, One owner tried insulating the ducting with sitck-on mylar backed insulation padding, and the pads melted...
Old 12-30-2017, 06:54 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I just picked up my car yesterday - when leaving this evening the steering felt like a 4 wheel drive when making a turn notchy and chatter from frt wheels - what causes that ?
and they say thats normal -" cant believe it - "
can some one explain this to me .... please
csysman
Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by csysman
I just picked up my car yesterday - when leaving this evening the steering felt like a 4 wheel drive when making a turn notchy and chatter from frt wheels - what causes that ?
csysman
Ackerman affect
Tires get cold and hard, doesn't help how wide they are

I hate these tires. I'm likely not going with these tires when it's time to switch
Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry M
Ackerman affect
Tires get cold and hard, doesn't help how wide they are

I hate these tires. I'm likely not going with these tires when it's time to switch
i wonder if anyone had success reducing that condition after switching them out ?
Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
There is, at least on my 2016, a "handle" of sorts on the rear hatch that you can use to close the hatch without any finger prints.
Same here. Also have a 2016.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:31 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

i wonder if anyone had success reducing that condition after switching them out ?
In my personal experience, I went from Goodyear GS-D3 to Continental DW on a 285 tire (Trans Am) and it went away at 30ish degrees.

The GS-D3 would do it at 40*

These Michelin tires seem to at 55*

Last edited by Larry M; 12-31-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:19 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

I just avoid tight turns when it’s cold outside. Not a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

On my 2016, I switched out the front tires for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (non run flat). Didn't really help the low speed skipping.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:50 PM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

rough 1st to second shift with the a8 when cold or first shift of the day
rjenkins (11-08-2019)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:43 PM
SIRFLOW
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Soo, on the topic of normal vs not: when i am filling the gas tank, the nozzle will not just pump gas on its own. What i mean is, you push in the little latch and it immediately shuts off as if it was full. in fact, even when just holding the lever on the handlepiece down, it will frequently stop fueling with the usual "thunk" as if the tank were full, even though it could be nearly empty...

any one else experience this? is it the angle of the fuel port? is there a secret to it? how do i get the damn tank full with out fiddling with the pump handle!?!
dbdoherty (10-04-2021)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:02 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I switched my "Summer Only" OEM's 2 months ago so I could drive with confidence during our colder (mid-20's - 40's) months. I got a set of Michelin All-Season Pilot Sports and there is no chatter whatsoever even on cold, wet pavement.

These new tires do not turn rock-hard when the temps go below 40-45 degrees or so as do the summer tires, so consequently they don't make all that noise no matter how tight the turn. And for all practical purposes, they handle just as well as the summer variety in 99% of the driving anyone would do.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Rough Idle - I wasn't expecting that.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:26 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by SIRFLOW
Soo, on the topic of normal vs not: when i am filling the gas tank, the nozzle will not just pump gas on its own. What i mean is, you push in the little latch and it immediately shuts off as if it was full. in fact, even when just holding the lever on the handlepiece down, it will frequently stop fueling with the usual "thunk" as if the tank were full, even though it could be nearly empty...

any one else experience this? is it the angle of the fuel port? is there a secret to it? how do i get the damn tank full with out fiddling with the pump handle!?!
This is a well-known issue, and to date not solved from the factory. Turning the nozzle upside down when filling usually solves this. Some of us have success with slowly turning it down to the normal fueling position after a few gallons have been dispensed.

Some individual pumps are chronic offenders, and others are OK. Those of us with this problem avoid the known pumps that are problematic.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Yes, replaced the OEM tires on my 2015 with Michelin AS 3+ ( all season tires)

*No scrubbing in slow speed wheel lock turns
*not as sticky, does not throw as much debris/gravel
*no reduced braking/grip in cold weather
* no sidewall cracking issues in very cold weather
*perhaps a bit quieter.
*Can not tell the difference form OEM tires unless looking at the script on the side wall or closely examining the tread pattern

....Took delivery of my 2018 late June and first trip was to the tire shop to pull off the OEM's and replace with Michelin AS 3+.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:23 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
This is a well-known issue, and to date not solved from the factory. Turning the nozzle upside down when filling usually solves this. Some of us have success with slowly turning it down to the normal fueling position after a few gallons have been dispensed.

Some individual pumps are chronic offenders, and others are OK. Those of us with this problem avoid the known pumps that are problematic.
Lisa, my 2015 behaved as you have described but the 2018 does not seem to have this issue......don't know if GM has made a change or the new car just "works different"
Old 01-01-2018, 08:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

csysman
Yep, this is an explanation I found after doing the research when I got my September 2013 built C7 Z51. Same width tires as my C6 Z51 and the "chatter" or "hopping" as GM calls it is MUCH worse! Worth knowing to explain if you have a friend in the car and foolishly make a full lock turn when leaving a parking slot on a cold day! They will tell surly all your other friends what a "piece of junk you bought!"

This is what it is NOT!
Ackerman Steering Geometry (or properly said "Lack of Full Ackerman Steering." Proof, it goes away with winter tires or mostly with all-season tires and the Ackerman steering geometry didn't change!

Sticky Tires-it's worse with cold tires and when wet where they are NOT sticky!

It's the race car type very low slip angles of the Michelin tires! That helps them achieve very high lateral "g's" in warm weather but causes chatter when cold.

Turns our no manufacturer uses full Ackerman compensation as the tire slip angle partially provides the needed difference in front tire turning radius on slow speed turns. Using full Ackerman would reduce the max "g" force when warm.

SOLUTION: Don't use full lock when it's below 45/50 F on slow speed turns- make "K" turns! In the Spring, Summer and Fall I make a full lock turn after backing out of my garage to turn down my driveway. On a cold Winter day I turn the wheel about a 1/2 turn from full lock and make a "K" turn. Hopping doesn't do any harm but I don't like it!

PS: I love the tires! When taking the time to make a "K" turn I think of the 1.2 "g's" I hit on my favorite 270 degrees off-ramp when it's warm!

Lots of detail and pics/test in this PDF! http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

Some of many pics in PDF

Last edited by JerryU; 01-01-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by owc6

It happened to be ~20% of the time in my 2014 and about the same with my Grand Sport.

Some reports of the pump not shutting off when nozzle placed upside down. I find whenever it's encountered I turn the pump handle 90 degrees CCW. I can then depress the level fully for max flow. I have always found it trips automatically.

As you note, it is dependent on the full tripping mechanism on particular pumps and how it's adjusted.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-01-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New to the Vette? NORMAL things the Vette does.....

Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 AM
shootervince
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
They sure fixed that. The window's so small you can't hardly see anything out of it. But what's behind you is not important.
Unless its a cop
Old 01-01-2018, 09:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
And every AH who is barreling up in the left or right lane on an Interstate and will be in what folks traditionally call "Blind Spots" immediately right behind each fender! In fact I am looking at all mirrors all the time and the reduced viability out of the rear window in a C7 made me add a small blind spot mirror! Never needed one in my '88, '93 or 2008 Vettes but the C7 has reduced rear viability. Defensive driving requires knowing where all cars are around you or soon will be!

In fact, the Stage 2 aero option I have on my Grand Sport with it's spoiler extensions on the ends makes in almost as bad as a Vert with the top up!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-01-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:38 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by SIRFLOW

There are 2 flaps in the nozzle tube. You have to have the nozzle inserted completely.

That's also why you get the extra nozzle insert. So if you need to add gas via a gas can, you put the insert in first to make sure it gets past both flaps.

Quick Reply: New to the Vette? NORMAL things the Vette does.....