Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film- Which Panels???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM
JPK_NJ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint Protection Film- Which Panels???

What's the general consensus on which body panels NEED to be covered? This is not a show car / garage queen but I just want to keep her in decent shape. My initial plan is to just cover the entire rocker panels and front bumper.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 PM
jokerdev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of different opinions, but most people get the full bumper, 18" or so up the hood and rocker panels and side view mirrors. This is the basic package, and you can add as desired.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I see no point in only covering part of the hood. The entire front of the car is very low and subject to debris hits. My C6 had several blemishes caused by debris hits far up the hood. Full hood coverage is considerably more expensive.

FWIW, I had the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, door pull recesses and full rocker panels.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did the same as zymurgy and I think it's the way to go. Whole front end is protected.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I see no point in only covering part of the hood. The entire front of the car is very low and subject to debris hits. My C6 had several blemishes caused by debris hits far up the hood. Full hood coverage is considerably more expensive.

FWIW, I had the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, door pull recesses and full rocker panels.

that is my plan also, now I need to find an installer in central Nj to do it before it gets chipped
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 PM
danshill
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I recently did the same (full fenders, hood, etc) but took it a step further and had the front and top edges of the spoiler covered as well after finding a small paint chip.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:47 AM
vettlvr66
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

This is mine just leaving the xpel install. Front splitter, and Full front except half hood. Side rockers and side splitter, inside full door jam over corvette logo to protect foot scrape. full rear quarter panels behind wheels. Also full mirrors and head lights. $ total $900.00 One of the best decisions made.

Last edited by vettlvr66; 07-03-2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using XPEL; I covered the entire hood, front bumper, front fenders, headlights, mirrors, the lower part of the doors, door jams, door pull recesses, and the rocker panels!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 AM
chevyman426
Instructor

entire car
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM
redstar299
Racer

Default Full

Get the full Xpel package. Its worth every penny
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As much as you can afford and Im not saying that to be a smart a--. I did as specracer but wish i did it all then but will have it finished off.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Clear Bra

Originally Posted by JPK_NJ
What's the general consensus on which body panels NEED to be covered? This is not a show car / garage queen but I just want to keep her in decent shape. My initial plan is to just cover the entire rocker panels and front bumper.
The majority of Corvette owners protect all the high impact areas of the car, and as some have mentioned it's a very low sloping front end. The high impact areas include front bumper, full front fenders, full hood, headlights, mirrors, door cups and rocker panels (making sure to cover behind the rear wheel as well).

Originally Posted by Roger L
that is my plan also, now I need to find an installer in central Nj to do it before it gets chipped
We have an excellent installer in your area.

Ask for Ohan at Clear Cut Vehicle Coatings Inc
80 Central Ave
Red Bank, NJ 07701
http://www.clearbranj.com
732-687-5415
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

so this film will not get beat up over the years by stones, etc? It will look perfect 10 years from now? I would think the sun would have an affect on the uncovered paint compared to the covered parts. And I assume you can't wax over the film but you wax the unexposed parts and they would look different. I've never really heard of covering your vette until the C7's came out. I'm just curious!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
so this film will not get beat up over the years by stones, etc? It will look perfect 10 years from now? I would think the sun would have an affect on the uncovered paint compared to the covered parts. And I assume you can't wax over the film but you wax the unexposed parts and they would look different. I've never really heard of covering your vette until the C7's came out. I'm just curious!
The "search" function is your friend. There are countless threads in this forum that address those very questions. Also there is a lot of great information out on the internet.

Coverage areas we recommend at a minimum include the partial hood/fenders (sure the full is a better option but not needed), the full bumper, lights, mirrors, rocker panels AND lower door section (part angling down). We have worked on 25+ of these now and that is what everyone is getting from a protection standpoint. Also might think of the leading edge of the roof and A pillars. behind the rear tires is not needed really and we haven't seen any issues back there.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone have an idea how much it should cost to Xpel an entire C7?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm thinking full hood to avoid the line, bumper and front edge of the fenders. I have protection on only the front edge of my DD's and am happy.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 PM
thebiglittledog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfserge
i have been quoted 4k in the dallas area

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Protection Film- Which Panels???

Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM
thebiglittledog
Instructor

who have you used in the dallas fort worth area? anybody have a pref
Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM
thebiglittledog
Instructor

Default XPEL, Dallas area

Does anyone have a preferred installer you have used and like there work?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Xpel

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
Our 10-Year Warranty covers yellowing, staining, cracking, hazing, peeling etc... You chose to get paint protection film installed so that it can take a beating and protect your OEM paint finish. The paint will not fade at different rates from the protected areas to the unprotected areas. Actually, you can absolutely wax over the film. You can even use the same wax you've been using as long as it's not petroleum based.

Originally Posted by Mfserge
The range is usually between $4,000 - $6,000 depending on labor rates and installer experience.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film- Which Panels???