Sponsored by:

Where to mount EZ Pass sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I'm in PA also. From an CR article:
Our Land Rover Range Rover Evoque is equipped with infrared-blocking glass that may help keep the cabin cool, but unfortunately, it means a windshield-mounted E-ZPass transponder won't work. And not to single out Land Rover, the same is true of models from a number of manufacturers that have used various coatings on their windshields over the years, including BMW, Ford, General Motors, and Mercedes-Benz.

The solution, according to a Land Rover representative, is a license-plate-mounted transponder, something a Pennsylvania E-ZPass spokesperson told us is offered at no extra cost by any of the 14 various agencies in eastern states that use the system.

I have no idea if it will work through a carbon fiber hood. But there is a lot space between the front bumper and the hood and the unit isn't that big so I'd think there must be a place it could be put to work if it will not pass through the hood.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I'm in PA also. From an CR article:
Our Land Rover Range Rover Evoque is equipped with infrared-blocking glass that may help keep the cabin cool, but unfortunately, it means a windshield-mounted E-ZPass transponder won't work. And not to single out Land Rover, the same is true of models from a number of manufacturers that have used various coatings on their windshields over the years, including BMW, Ford, General Motors, and Mercedes-Benz.

The solution, according to a Land Rover representative, is a license-plate-mounted transponder, something a Pennsylvania E-ZPass spokesperson told us is offered at no extra cost by any of the 14 various agencies in eastern states that use the system.

I have no idea if it will work through a carbon fiber hood. But there is a lot space between the front bumper and the hood and the unit isn't that big so I'd think there must be a place it could be put to work if it will not pass through the hood.
A lot of those vehicles actually have pass through areas in the windshield so garage door openers (and radar detectors) will work. All you need to know is where it is located.

Bill
Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Alysha
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

We have the SunPass here in Florida, and the backs of them are white, so they stick out like a sore thumb (what the hell does that mean, anyway?) when they're on the windshield. Hubby painted ours black on the back (windshield) side, so they're a lot less noticeable.

Quick Reply: Where to mount EZ Pass sensor?