Sponsored by:

Where to mount EZ Pass sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
louloumax
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where to mount EZ Pass sensor?

Does anyone have a solution to mounting EZ Pass sensor boxes. Seems they block the view [or the passenger's view] or, if you mount it at the bottom of the windshield, the toll reader doesn't find it.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Wm Rose
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I called EZ Pass last week to register the new Vette, and all they wanted was the plate number. I don't think we need the sensor anymore. But I'm going to double check that when I get the new plates from the dealer.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I keep it in the glove box until needed. I am not, however driving through them on a daily, or even weekly basis.

Only car I actually have it mounted on the windshield is my company car as I'm often driving around Philly, and NJ, NY and it's non stop there.

I keep the Vette out of there!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 PM
70C3coupe
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

In NJ behind the inspection sticker lower left side
Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have one that mounts on the front license plate bracket (top 2 screw holes) and it comes with one-way screws (or hide it behind the grille). You'll need a front license plate bracket mounted to the car though and many don't like it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ez+p...=1920&bih=1117

Last edited by Jontall; 07-16-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Style68
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 70C3coupe
In NJ behind the inspection sticker lower left side
not a bad idea
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
petemoss
Instructor

Mine is behind the mirror, just down from the camera plastic box. Works fine in NJ.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM
louloumax
Racer

Originally Posted by Wm Rose
I called EZ Pass last week to register the new Vette, and all they wanted was the plate number. I don't think we need the sensor anymore. But I'm going to double check that when I get the new plates from the dealer.
I believe they charge you a higher rate if they have to corelate your tag from a photo rather than reading the box.
I hope this gets clarified.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:08 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by louloumax
I believe they charge you a higher rate if they have to corelate your tag from a photo rather than reading the box.
I hope this gets clarified.
According to Maryland's E-Zpass site:

"Is there a location other than my vehicle’s windshield where I may affix my E-ZPass® transponder?

No. Unless your E-ZPass® is installed exactly as shown in the E-ZPass® Customer GuideBook, it may not be "read" by the E-ZPass® antenna. Placing the transponder on the sun visor, the rear-view mirror, the dashboard, the seat, or in your hand may work occasionally but will not work consistently. Install the transponder exactly as shown in the instructions on page 3. Transponders installed incorrectly or not at all can result in toll-evasion violations, administrative fees or delays at the toll booth. In addition, customers subscribing to discount plans may be charged full fare for these transactions if their transponders are not installed properly, or are not installed at all."

I keep mine in the glove box and pull it out when needed, and it's never not been read when I set it on the dash.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
brentil
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Here in Florida we now have EZPass RFID stickers that are much smaller and easier to hide behind the rear view mirror. Maybe check to see if your state offers them now too?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

I just leave mine in the glove compartment.
I had it mounted on the windshield to the right of the camera/mirror box, and it is just so big it annoyed my passengers.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by louloumax
Does anyone have a solution to mounting EZ Pass sensor boxes. Seems they block the view [or the passenger's view] or, if you mount it at the bottom of the windshield, the toll reader doesn't find it.
I have my I-Pass mounted under the hood on my C6. It works every time and stays dry under the hood liner. I plan to put it in the same location when I get my C7.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 PM
ChuckWalters
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered mine a few months ago and was pleased to see they now have much smaller ones than I used to have. It mounts directly behind the rear view mirror and does not obstruct anyone's view at all. In fact, if I didn't see it from the outside when parked, I wouldn't even know it was there.

In New York they send Velcro strips that allow you to detach it when you are not going to use it for a while so all that is seen is the very small Velcro strip that sticks to the windshield....again behind the rear view mirror.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
I keep it in the glove box until needed. I am not, however driving through them on a daily, or even weekly basis.

Only car I actually have it mounted on the windshield is my company car as I'm often driving around Philly, and NJ, NY and it's non stop there.

I keep the Vette out of there!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

While mine is mounted just below rear view mirror and is a none issue I also painted it black and used black Velcro to mount it. Works fine and almost invisible from outside the car versus seeing an ugly white square.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM
RLCullum
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Default On the roof

I put mine on the removable roof in front of the mirror. You really never notice it there.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:10 PM
louloumax
Racer

I appreciate all the replies. First I am going to get the new smaller unit, which they won't mail to me as an exchange. I have to drive to NY to pick it up.
I will see if the smaller view blockage, centered under the mirror, is objectionable.
If so, I'll try it at the front of the clear roof. I may have a problem there, as I put a sheet of carbon fibre vinyl as a stick on coating on the clear roof to cut down on sun. Works great, but may interfere with the signal to the sensor.
Always something.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to mount EZ Pass sensor?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

When I got my EZPass in PA they had a unit that mounted to front license plate. This is where I mounted it on my C6. I assume there is a similar place on a C7. It reads right thru the plastic hood and is more powerful than the windshield unit.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 07-20-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 PM
louloumax
Racer

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
When I got my EZPass in PA they had a unit that mounted to front license plate. This is where I mounted it on my C6. I assume there is a similar place on a C7. It reads right thru the plastic hood and is more powerful than the windshield unit.

Was that their recommendation since we have no front plate in PA, or your idea?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Do you think the difference in conductivity between fiberglass and carbon fiber will make some mounting options on the C6 unusable on the C7? We were able to put radio antennas inside the fuselages of fiberglass model sailplanes, but had to put them outside on carbon fiber models. The carbon fiber would block the low power RF signals.

Quick Reply: Where to mount EZ Pass sensor?