Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel and Stingray Door Sill Plates

Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Xpel and Stingray Door Sill Plates

Has anyone used the Xpel protection film on the Stingray Door Sill plates? I noticed the lettering on the plates is slightly raised. I'm am concerned the Xpel film would properly adhere to the sill plate. I am not interested in doing the entire door sill - just the Stingray plates.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes, did it 6 months ago, with a heat gun it adheres fine...I'm not **** on this stuff so it may be a bit raised on the edge of the letters for you, but I don't look that closely. It just protects....

This is xpel on the door sill plate and 3m DI noc on the frame rail

Last edited by Glen e; 07-19-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 PM
jokerdev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wet installed over the sill plates, got as much water out as possible, then let them dry out for a couple of days. Looked great in the end, and lots of protection. You see air/water around the letters when you install, but once it dries out, it's invisible.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Great... Thank you... Didn't want to go through the hassle of installing if I wasn't going to be satisfied.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jokerdev
I wet installed over the sill plates, got as much water out as possible, then let them dry out for a couple of days. Looked great in the end, and lots of protection. You see air/water around the letters when you install, but once it dries out, it's invisible.
I did the whole jamb and sill plate wet. I had some SunTek film left over and and wanted to protect the jamb. Not so much from my shoes but others who sit in the car. First, I made a paper pattern out of tracing paper to minimize cutting on the car.

I was doing this last winter and although my shop is heated surfaces tend to be colder so I used the water/alcohol/soap mixture to make the adhesive more agressive.

Like Jokerdev mentioned, squeegee out as much of the water out as possible. Be careful not to overwork the film. If you get to forceful you can over stretch the film and/or deform the layer of adhesive which will make distortions under the film. It is similar to working with wallpaper. Put it on, align, smoothen out and leave it alone. The more you try to make it better the bigger mess you will have. Back to film. A soft squeegee really helps working around the letters on the sill plates. This one that comes with all film from Cleardefender.com worked excellent. It is soft, pliable, and conforms to the raised letters nicely.

Sometimes a finger works best. Again don't worry about getting all the water out. If you try you will get frustrated, pissed off, and in the end wind end up with a ball of crumpled paint protection film in the garbage can.

Once the sill plate was done I finished up the jamb edges and wrapped the outer edge around the corner.

The last step was to use a new single edge razor blade in a holder to cut down the center of the groove between the sill plate and the rocker panel. If you stretch the film a bit down into the groove before you cut it will create an indentation that can be used to keep the blade holder centered. Then work the edges down into the groove. Sorry, no picture.

A few days later the excess moisture will work out from under the film. This is a picture from today. The film is holding up well. Any scuffs and either hot water or some heat will make them vanish.

Like Glen, I thought about how to protect the plastic trim in the door jamb. Trying to apply paint protection film wet does not work on the pebble grain surface. So with the trim off I wrapped it dry by stretching it around the trim with just with my fingers. It went well, easily conforming and sticking much like cling-on style window stickers. It only takes a small amount of film wrapped around the edge to hold it in place. The only drawbacks are the gloss finish (acceptable) and the fact that when I wash my door jambs moisture sometimes gets behind the film at the ends. It dries out quickly so it has not been an issue.

The nice part about film is if you screw it up you simply pull it off, wipe it down, and your good to go.

Last edited by 00247; 07-20-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 AM
redstar299
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default works well

I did mine as well.. Looks good well worth the investment
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

XPEL put it on my sill plates when the other parts were done. Looks fine. I find I sometimes drag my foot across the sill plate when getting out, film should be helpful. Don
Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 AM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just pick your feet up and over when you get out. Never understood seeing marks on sill plates. If your that out of shape and can't lift your legs up, I think it might be time to start walking and working out.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mkr1966
Just pick your feet up and over when you get out. Never understood seeing marks on sill plates. If your that out of shape and can't lift your legs up, I think it might be time to start walking and working out.
And you're how tall and what size shoes? I'm 6'4" size 14's and unless the door's full open it's not exactly easy to swing my legs out of the car, and even getting in some times, without my shoes hitting against the door, sill, or / and front of the seat.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by flaagan
And you're how tall and what size shoes? I'm 6'4" size 14's and unless the door's full open it's not exactly easy to swing my legs out of the car, and even getting in some times, without my shoes hitting against the door, sill, or / and front of the seat.
exactly, I have a bad back and sometimes lifting legs is not an option...we are all different, it's not as simple as "get in shape"....
Old 07-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

It's not a matter of being out of shape. It is an issue of not being able to open the door all the way in a confined space, plus I don't bend the way I used to.
The following users liked this post:
marvinwhite (09-16-2018)
Old 07-20-2014, 02:51 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, really nice remark considering you know nothing about me. I’m close to 6’ 3” long legs and I am in shape.

And wow, I know it would be the end of the world if you had a mark on the sill plate. Obsessive are you?? Don

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel and Stingray Door Sill Plates

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xpel and Stingray Door Sill Plates