C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by BigJoe
You are in the same position I was 40+ years ago. I bought a 1970 Corvette just before I got married and drove it for 3 years before kids and family got in the way. Both my wife and I look back on those three years as some of the happiest we've had. Go for it and, hopefully, 40 years from now you too will look back on the happy Corvette times
I'd like to know what it is about Corvettes and kids? I haul my grandkids around in my Vette's. They're just as safe as anything else on the road. Need to haul more than 2 people? Get a cheap pos and roll. Don't think having a wife and kids means giving up something you work hard for. If she doesn't like it, keep wife shopping.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The C7 is a huge improvement in every way over the C6.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
I'd like to know what it is about Corvettes and kids? I haul my grandkids around in my Vette's. They're just as safe as anything else on the road. Need to haul more than 2 people? Get a cheap pos and roll. Don't think having a wife and kids means giving up something you work hard for. If she doesn't like it, keep wife shopping.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I don't plan on losing my Vette when we decide to start a family. My wife is great about my car fetish. A lot of people obviously marry the wrong women.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
Sorry but kids in the front seat are NOT as safe as them in the back and it is highly recommended NOT to have children ride in the front seat.

I am not saying I would never do it, but I would not do it unless absolutely needed for an emergency. I have twin 8 year old boys and a 4 year old daughter, none have ever driven in the front seat of any car.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

To the OP do you own a house? When do you plan on having kids? Think about those 2 things, if after those you still can live comfortable with payments on the C7 knock yourself out, if not I would hold off. Cars should never come before family responsibilities.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm probably in the minority but I would say keep the C6 and spend the money on something else.

If I were in the market to buy my first Vette I would look to get a C7 for sure. But, if you already have a C6, it's a nice step up to a C7 but there's probably other ways to enjoy your cash.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I've owned a C5, a C6 and now my C7. They were all top trim levels that were offered at the time. The C7 is much more of an improvement from the C6 than the C6 was from the C5. I'm very happy I'm no longer in my C6.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would hold off on getting the C7 until you get through the first few years of marriage. Your priorities will change when you get married at least for the first 3 to 5 years and why have that added expense if you don't need it. C-7's will always be there. Make your new wife your priority and she will support you the rest of your life. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I had a really great C6 vert that I enjoyed for almost 4 years. As good as it was my C7 has been a next level car.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Since your current car is a garage queen, is it fair to assume you have another vehicle as your daily driver?
If so, then marriage and kids shouldn't be an issue - other than if you can't afford both the marriage and kids and a Corvette; and if that is the case - stop the discussion now.
I have had Corvette's - C3, C4x2, C5, C6 & C7 from my early 20's through today - before and during marriage, before and with kids - it is not a problem because: I can afford 3+ cars and as a result I have another vehicle for use when a Corvette isn't suitable.
As to your C6 vs, C7 question, my C6 was a 2006 Coupe (sold with 13k mi in 2013) and the C7 is worlds better in every metric.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy86
Good stuff from all of you. I just need to go drive one I guess! One question I do have is with the Z51 package. I love to cruise to the beach but around town I ride my vette hard. My C6 has the Z51 package so it's all I know. I am much more of a "straight line" guy compared to someone who enjoys a good road course. I will never track the car. But, from stop light to stop light I'm on it. Does the Z51 package do anything to help in that regard? Does it help launch better or improve traction for initial acceleration?
Except for larger tire, extra weight and no weight transfer would not be what you want in 1/4 mile.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I traded my '08 coupe in on my C7 vert. Best decision I made. The C7 is far superior in every way to the C6. I haven't missed my C6 for one second.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyravoli
Personally I would hold off on getting the C7 until you get through the first few years of marriage. Your priorities will change when you get married at least for the first 3 to 5 years and why have that added expense if you don't need it. C-7's will always be there. Make your new wife your priority and she will support you the rest of your life. Just my 2 cents.
If he's gonna wait 5 years, he might as well just wait on a C8.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM
CorvetteGuy86
Instructor

You guys are great on responses. I'll try to respond to all of the comments in a short and concise manner.

The girl I'm marrying is probably the coolest most down to earth girl in the world, if not she is close to it! She absolutely loves my C6.. and she would KILL me if I was ever "corvette-less".

I did buy a home last year. Made a large down payment and did a 15 year mortgage, trying to pay it off in 7-8 years. I also have a daily driver and my old lady is in the process of getting an Acura MDX AWD. My original reason for not getting a C7 was because I wanted a truck. We travel a lot and do numerous mountain trips to ski and I really wanted a 4wd again. I also don't have anything I can haul with. So the plan was to keep the C6 and get a truck. Common sense prevailed and I finally came to "I want a C7. The MDX is AWD and I'll get a utility trailer if I need to work". Makes sense to me.

Safety is not a concern with the Vette but with a wife and then kid(s) the Vette is no longer a trip car. And can't really put the baby in the front seat.

But I can afford it comfortably. I am big on investing while I'm young so I'll definitely have to pull back some on that but hey, I only live once!

So for me its really a matter of if I will be a new one or wait a while for a very lightly used one (as I did with my C6) and save a little.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I came off of a 2008 C6 M6 as well. I had a kid, then sold it to buy a C7 M7.... The cars are seriously not even in the same category. My C6 was a fender faster ( did a few test runs for scientific purposes ), but it was a full bolt on LS3.

At the end of the day I gained so much functionality, and it's much more comfortable. However, at this point the price has raised so much more since I purchased, so it might be worth it for you to wait for prices to drop in the used market, but to honest, that might take a long time. Car is built with such precision, and the performance you get for the money is really crazy.

If you are in a good financial place in your life, don't waist the time as you are still young. I bought my C7 when I was 27, because it was right for me and didn't effect my family financially. Not sure where I'm going with this, but I guess i'm just trying to share my experience due to it being fairly similar
Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy86
You guys are great on responses. I'll try to respond to all of the comments in a short and concise manner.

The girl I'm marrying is probably the coolest most down to earth girl in the world, if not she is close to it! She absolutely loves my C6.. and she would KILL me if I was ever "corvette-less".

I did buy a home last year. Made a large down payment and did a 15 year mortgage, trying to pay it off in 7-8 years. I also have a daily driver and my old lady is in the process of getting an Acura MDX AWD. My original reason for not getting a C7 was because I wanted a truck. We travel a lot and do numerous mountain trips to ski and I really wanted a 4wd again. I also don't have anything I can haul with. So the plan was to keep the C6 and get a truck. Common sense prevailed and I finally came to "I want a C7. The MDX is AWD and I'll get a utility trailer if I need to work". Makes sense to me.

Safety is not a concern with the Vette but with a wife and then kid(s) the Vette is no longer a trip car. And can't really put the baby in the front seat.

But I can afford it comfortably. I am big on investing while I'm young so I'll definitely have to pull back some on that but hey, I only live once!

So for me its really a matter of if I will be a new one or wait a while for a very lightly used one (as I did with my C6) and save a little.
Do it before you regret NOT doing it. Your C6 will only continue to loose value. So you won't really gain anything by waiting.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I came off of a 2008 C6 M6 as well. I had a kid, then sold it to buy a C7 M7.... The cars are seriously not even in the same category. My C6 was a fender faster ( did a few test runs for scientific purposes ), but it was a full bolt on LS3.

At the end of the day I gained so much functionality, and it's much more comfortable. However, at this point the price has raised so much more since I purchased, so it might be worth it for you to wait for prices to drop in the used market, but to honest, that might take a long time. Car is built with such precision, and the performance you get for the money is really crazy.

If you are in a good financial place in your life, don't waist the time as you are still young. I bought my C7 when I was 27, because it was right for me and didn't effect my family financially. Not sure where I'm going with this, but I guess i'm just trying to share my experience due to it being fairly similar
This really puts the C7 on the next level. " I had a kid, then sold it to buy a C7 M7" Wow, I need to make up my mind a get one of these things. I only have one kid so selling him is not an option at this time, but will find another way.
Sorry just thought it was funny.

Get notified of new replies

To On the fence...

Old 07-23-2014, 02:05 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2008 Pace Car convertible w/ Z51 and paddle shifter and a 2014 Z51 convertible with 7 speed and mag ride suspension.

The 2 Vettes are so different. I love my 2014. The electronics are awesome. Adding the mag ride makes the 2014 Z51 much more comfortable. I had it on my 03 AE coupe too.

They say they stiffened up the frame on the C7 and you can tell it. When I hit rough spots on the same street in both Vettes, the C6 shakes much more. Even in Sport mode in the C7 it has much less shake.

If my 08 wasn't an Indy 500 festival car I would have sold it when I got the C7.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
This really puts the C7 on the next level. " I had a kid, then sold it to buy a C7 M7" Wow, I need to make up my mind a get one of these things. I only have one kid so selling him is not an option at this time, but will find another way.
Sorry just thought it was funny.
Jesus, That's epicly hilarious. I fail at English frequently. Trade in value was high, so i had to make the move.. LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Priz23
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '14

Get the c7 because (a) you'll get tired of your wife way before the car and (b) kids fit very well in the front seat, way better than adults.

Quick Reply: On the fence...