Sponsored by:

Dealer reluctant to help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Dr4688
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer reluctant to help...

I am ready to pull the trigger on a Caravaggio wheel and horn pad. I contacted my local dealer and 2 others around town. Not one of them will install the steering wheel. I can have it done privately without any resistance.

The dealers state that they are not allowed to install aftermarket or modified GM parts and it will void the warranty if there are any issues. Has anybody had any issues with the Caravaggio steering wheel and the electronics attached.

I know a lot of you have already installed it. What would you do if something went wrong? Just curious. Ihave already made up my mind on what to do,

Thanks

Keith
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Keith,

I don't have a Caravaggio steering wheel. My dealership put on my first aftermarket flat bottom steering wheel and will be putting on a 2nd one this Friday from Apsis. Send a PM to Glen e-he can help you do it yourself. If you're not mechanically inclined (like me), skip the dealership and a garage should be able to do it.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Dealers are VERY different. Some will install any aftermarket part you want, some won't install anything driveline related and some won't even install cat back exhaust. Just the way it is.

If you fill in your profile with city and state where you are maybe someone can recommend someone close.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Dr4688
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too worried as to whom installs the wheel. My local dealer will not repair anything that has to do with the wheel components or airbag. Thats my only dilemma. I already spoke to Glen today on it. Just wanted to hear from other forum members about their thoughts.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Dr4688
Not too worried as to whom installs the wheel. My local dealer will not repair anything that has to do with the wheel components or airbag. Thats my only dilemma. I already spoke to Glen today on it. Just wanted to hear from other forum members about their thoughts.
A dealership won't do it for fear of liability if something goes wrong in the event of an accident.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

all depends on the dealership, I have always gone to them for the installation of my aftermarket wheels. Not sure who you were getting your wheel from but John Caravaggio goes so far as to get his parts from GM !!! There is not much to go wrong on these to begin with and in most cases , unless you have him make you one , he uses your existing air/horn pad. Hope this helps
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
A dealership won't do it for fear of liability if something goes wrong in the event of an accident.

Originally Posted by bbrown450
all depends on the dealership, I have always gone to them for the installation of my aftermarket wheels. Not sure who you were getting your wheel from but John Caravaggio goes so far as to get his parts from GM !!! There is not much to go wrong on these to begin with and in most cases , unless you have him make you one , he uses your existing air/horn pad. Hope this helps
Lets say you get into an accident with the "aftermarket" steering wheel. The airbag doesn't pop, who does the lawyer go after? The person that "Improperly installed" the steering wheel.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

Everything in this case is a genuine OEM C7 GM product, airbag and all, it is just a re wrap of the rim of the wheel. I don't see a "misfire" being a problem at all. You need to take the wheel apart to see how it's made to be foolproof. If the airbag does not deploy, it's a GM airbag with connectors that cannot come loose with a double snap clamp. Once installed, the airbag system runs a check every time you start the car. I'm sure theta can add more here.

If a dealer does not wanna mess with it, they are just playing it safe, nothing wrong with that. Find another dealer or DIY. I swapped it in 15 min.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Once installed, the airbag system runs a check every time you start the car.
The airbag has been re-covered with this mod and its effectiveness has been altered because of that. You think any GM dealer wants to be associated with that?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
The airbag has been re-covered with this mod and its effectiveness has been altered because of that. You think any GM dealer wants to be associated with that?
So don't buy the horn pad if your worried....I asked that question of john, and he sent this pic of his pad deployed:

Last edited by Glen e; 07-22-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Regardless of potential warranty issues, or what-if liability guessing, many dealers aren't in the business of installing custom aftermarket parts on anything. That's not their core business, which I see no problem with. Find a different installer or DIY.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you mean besides Steve Bell's dealer?

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I don't have a Caravaggio steering wheel. My dealership put on my first aftermarket flat bottom steering wheel and will be putting on a 2nd one this Friday from Apsis,...
What we have here is one dealer playing it safe. Sounds like at least some others are willing to do the work, so I would contact another local dealer. If no local dealer will do it -- and DIY is not an option -- I would expect there are other shops in your area who do such work? I would try any of the body shops who heroically install steering wheels weekly, and without irrational fear.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 PM
blasted_concrete
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As easy of a swap as it is, with all the recalls..... No way a dealer is covered under GM. It would fall back on the dealers general liability policy if there was an issue. I don't see any self aware dealers willing to do it. Too many lawsuits currently and potentially with recalls. I can't see too many willing dealers. Just too many gold diggers out there.

~BC
Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

So don't buy the horn pad if your worried....I asked that question of john, and he sent this pic of his pad deployed:
The airbag may work great with John's cover, but the last thing I would expect any dealer to say is "Sure I'll install your modified airbag."
Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by dwward
I assume you mean besides Steve Bell's dealer?
A steering wheel and airbag are 2 different parts.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Everything in this case is a genuine OEM C7 GM product, airbag and all, it is just a re wrap of the rim of the wheel. I don't see a "misfire" being a problem at all. You need to take the wheel apart to see how it's made to be foolproof. If the airbag does not deploy, it's a GM airbag with connectors that cannot come loose with a double snap clamp. Once installed, the airbag system runs a check every time you start the car. I'm sure theta can add more here.

If a dealer does not wanna mess with it, they are just playing it safe, nothing wrong with that. Find another dealer or DIY. I swapped it in 15 min.
I 100% agree with you but here in the Good Ol' USA with all these lawyers, do you really think they wouldn't go after the dealer that installed it to IF the airbag doesn't deploy? Chances are very slim but what IF it happened? Some dealerships don't want to find out.

Agreed, find another dealership or DIY.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

In this day and age any dealership would be taking a HUGE risk installing a safety related part that's not absolutely a 100% genuine manufacturer part...

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer reluctant to help...

Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Airbag failure anytime in the future is law suit city.

I can see their point. No need to take the risk for the reward.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Airbag failure anytime in the future is law suit city.

I can see their point. No need to take the risk for the reward.
exactly. The problem is not with the dealer and their negating to do this install; it's with 90% of the USA lawyers that cause the dealer to act this way.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Mine did ....twice !!!

Quick Reply: Dealer reluctant to help...