G1H....Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic.................0%
EFY....Body Color Vents................................0%
CFZ....Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Package.............0%
SDN....Black/Silver Stem Valve Package.................0%
CFA....Standard roof (painted)........................35%
QCC....Black Machined Wheels...........................0%
E57....Carbon Fiber Tonneau Inserts....................0%

As member Woody pointed out, these are for build week of 8-25

Last edited by Zymurgy; 07-25-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added build week info - thanks Woody!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

Those are for build week 8-25.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody
Those are for build week 8-25.
I should have included that in my post.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:36 PM
gman67
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I should have included that in my post.
Are you able to post the constraints each time they come out?
Seems a hassle to get ahold of the dealer and much easier to get them from here.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gman67
Are you able to post the constraints each time they come out?
Seems a hassle to get ahold of the dealer and much easier to get them from here.
Thanks
If it's a hassle to get a hold of the dealer, then they're not doing their job. I was always able to talk to my salesman throughout my C7 journey. He even got status updates for me while he was on a week long vacation.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

is "0 %" saying flat-out not-available at all?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:12 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.

Laborsmith
Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the normal painted roof is at 35% availability??! what does GM expect vette owners to get? just the transparent roof? #supplyproblems
Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

For those "in the know". Please "splain it to me Lucy". I'm ignant and admit I don't fully understand constraints. If I place my order for my "ideal" Corvette and during the "expected production week" there are constraints on one or many of the optional items I included on my order, will the car production be placed on "hold" waiting for the constrained items? Or will the car just be produced without them? If I choose not to build (I'm assuming my dealer will be giving me the option) will they (GM) cancel the order or, just keep the TPW in limbo until the "suppliers" can ship the constrained items. I'm sorry if this issue has been covered in other threads, I've just never seen this question answered.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
For those "in the know". Please "splain it to me Lucy". I'm ignant and admit I don't fully understand constraints. If I place my order for my "ideal" Corvette and during the "expected production week" there are constraints on one or many of the optional items I included on my order, will the car production be placed on "hold" waiting for the constrained items? Or will the car just be produced without them? If I choose not to build (I'm assuming my dealer will be giving me the option) will they (GM) cancel the order or, just keep the TPW in limbo until the "suppliers" can ship the constrained items. I'm sorry if this issue has been covered in other threads, I've just never seen this question answered.
constraint only affects orders getting accepted by GM (status 2000)

once you are at and past status 2000, you are fine and constraints should not affect your car.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Almost fine. Constraints effect whether the order will be accepted (2000) is true but as others besides myself have experienced, an order may not be built for sometime because of the item constrained.

Now we come to a guessing point, because the dealer does not know if the order is not being built because of the constrained item, or another item, or just as a matter of course in the production process. But as far as I can recall in these times the order will not be built until all the parts are there. In the twentieth century maybe but not in the twenty-first.

Laborsmith
Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzman
the normal painted roof is at 35% availability??! what does GM expect vette owners to get? just the transparent roof? #supplyproblems
I'm glad that wasn't in effect a few weeks back. I got the painted roof and would not have been willing to compromise.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
First, in the GM internal system, there are over 20 status codes, that describe where your car is in the order process. The first is 1100, which basically means your dealer has managed to type a valid order into the computer. At this point, there is no valid guarantee that your car will ever be built. There are still 2014 customers with 1100 status orders which never got accepted.

Second, every other week (currently, sometimes it is every week,) GM has a consensus, where they match orders with production for a week approximately 5-6 weeks away. At this point, they try to match a dealers share of his yearly quota of vettes, with the orders he has waiting to be filled. GM will tell the dealer how many coupe and convertible orders he can place that week, and what constrained options they can have.

Constraints don't mean that option won't be produced. It means there are limits on the option. Currently, Z51s are constrained at 55%. This just means for every 100 vettes produced during that cycle, only 55 can have the Z51 package. Now if you start combining constrained options, then you can effectively halt production of your car. Say you want a visible CF roof with your Z51. Since that option is at 20%, then of the 55 Z51s out of 100, only 20% or 11 cars will have both options. Throw in some other constrained options, and you reach an almost zero probability of getting your order accepted. That's why dealers will frequently ask if you want to drop an option, because they know that they can get an order without that particular option allocated.

Once the dealer has matched the orders with GM's allocations, those orders advance to status 2000, which is "Order accepted by GM." Again, constraints only apply during the allocation process. Once an order is accepted and goes to 2000 and beyond, constraints will have no affect on the order being produced, although it may affect the timing, if a needed part is in short supply.

Also realize that a small dealer may only get 1 car allocated per month, assuming his yearly allotment is 12 cars or less. Therefore, any order with a constraint will have a tough time getting filled, while one of the mega-vette dealers might get 80-100 cars in the period, making much easier to get cars with constrained items.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 07-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
First, in the GM internal system, there are over 20 status codes, that describe where your car is in the order process. The first is 1100, which basically means your dealer has managed to type a valid order into the computer. At this point, there is no valid guarantee that your car will ever be built. There are still 2014 customers with 1100 status orders which never got accepted.

Second, every other week (currently, sometimes it is every week,) GM has a consensus, where they match orders with production for a week approximately 5-6 weeks away. At this point, they try to match a dealers share of his yearly quota of vettes, with the orders he has waiting to be filled. GM will tell the dealer how many coupe and convertible orders he can place that week, and what constrained options they can have.

Constraints don't mean that option won't be produced. It means there are limits on the option. Currently, Z51s are constrained at 55%. This just means for every 100 vettes produced during that cycle, only 55 can have the Z51 package. Now if you start combining constrained options, then you can effectively halt production of your car. Say you want a visible CF roof with your Z51. Since that option is at 20%, then of the 55 Z51s out of 100, only 20% or 11 cars will have both options. Throw in some other constrained options, and you reach an almost zero probability of getting your order accepted. That's why dealers will frequently ask if you want to drop an option, because they know that they can get an order without that particular option allocated.

Once the dealer has matched the orders with GM's allocations, those orders advance to status 2000, which is "Order accepted by GM." Again, constraints only apply during the allocation process. Once an order is accepted and goes to 2000 and beyond, constraints will have no affect on the order being produced, although it may affect the timing, if a needed part is in short supply.

Also realize that a small dealer may only get 1 car allocated per month, assuming his yearly allotment is 12 cars or less. Therefore, any order with a constraint will have a tough time getting filled, while one of the mega-vette dealers might get 80-100 cars in the period, making much easier to get cars with constrained items.

But there is one other curve ball to the allocation percentage. Using the Z51 option as a guide it's true that for the production period the consensus is for (can be 1 or 2 weeks) only 55% of the total will be Z51's. That does not mean at the dealership level that they will be able to order 55% of their allocation as Z51's. GM allocates constrained items based on previous year sales just like it does the total number of cars. For example, last week Kerbeck had 88 allocation slots, 75 of them were for Z51's while the global Z51 constraint was 55%. That means a lot of small dealers with 2, 3, or 4 allocation slots for that week may not get any Z51 allocation.

So basically, knowing the global number is interesting but somewhat meaningless without knowing your dealer's actual allocation allotment, which most will never share with you.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Great answers on the issue of constraints. Thanks. I have an additional question however. I have read in this forum several times that the Z51 is/or has been on constraint. What is the problem with the Z51 (who is the supplier? and where is supplier located?) Z51 constraint was already a big issue for the 14 Vette (I know because our initial order (RJZJCP) never made it to production because of this constraint last Spring. Now have a 15 Vert Z51 2LT on order (RWWW4R Florida ) (status 3000 - our dealer says there are no constraints, but I keep reading forum and have seen some people mentioning of Z51 constraint again. Can someone PLEASE explain the Z 51 constraint issue. We surely do not want to wait another 8.5 months to get our 15 Vette. Thank you Heidemarie
Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Correct except consensus is every other week and dealer ordering is usually every week. The last several months of the 2014MY the consensus and ordering were effectively combined, probably because there continued to be so many customer (retail sold) orders. Consensus is for all Chevrolet vehicles, not just the Corvette.

It is during consensus that some dealers get additional allocations; this is most markedly noticed toward the end of a model year; recall how various forum dealers were posting they had received additional allocations. Some allocations are redistributed because a dealer declined to use an allocation and in the case of the C7 some were redistributed because a dealer was not eligible. Remember, so far since inception every Chevrolet dealership gets allocated at least one Corvette every model year even those few hundred dealers who have never ordered a Corvette. I expect the time is near that only dealers who meet the minimum (tools, trained tech and trained salesperson) standard will start the model year with any Corvette allocations. Very near.

Laborsmith
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Great answers on the issue of constraints. Thanks. I have an additional question however. I have read in this forum several times that the Z51 is/or has been on constraint. What is the problem with the Z51 (who is the supplier? and where is supplier located?) Z51 constraint was already a big issue for the 14 Vette (I know because our initial order (RJZJCP) never made it to production because of this constraint last Spring. Now have a 15 Vert Z51 2LT on order (RWWW4R Florida ) (status 3000 - our dealer says there are no constraints, but I keep reading forum and have seen some people mentioning of Z51 constraint again. Can someone PLEASE explain the Z 51 constraint issue. We surely do not want to wait another 8.5 months to get our 15 Vette. Thank you Heidemarie
First off, you are at 3000, you are well past any constraints and your car will be built and on time so contrats!

The issue is there are a number of high priced components used to make a Z51 that suppliers can only make a limited number of a year. Altough it would seem that if there were no constraints 90% of the cars sold would be Z51's but history proves that to be wrong. The sweet spot, historically is under 50%, which is what GM contracted with it's suppliers for last year. What caught GM off guard (the why's have been argued at length so I won't go there) was an 85% take rate in the first 2 months of ordering back in 2014 basically depleting 1/2 of their projected production of Z51's. They had to heavily constrain Z51's starting last October or they would have severely limited their total year sales. Over the winter they not only renegotiated but also invested millions of dollars with their suppliers to increase their capacity to produce certain parts. We are not privy to which exact parts but me and many others suspect the ediff as the primary culprit as it's probably the most difficult to increase production on and cannot be multi-sourced.

The belief was they would be all set to go forward with no constraints in 2015 and let the market set the level but I suspect the first week of ordering again showed a very high take rate because there is the perception that Z51's are rare and hard to get, which is ridiculous because over 17,000 Z51's were built in 2014. Rather than wait they constrained the Z51's to a level they know they can support AND should actually meet market demand (projected to be ~60% of total sales over the course of the year) hence the 55% constraint since the 2nd consensus.

Last edited by mjw930; 07-28-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Constraints - July 24

Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

in addition to any supplier issues, GM can only produce a certain % of cars as Z51 without having the gas mileages etc. certified seperately from the base car, which is expensive and, I assume, would have a negative affect on their CAFE
Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Two possibilities: the first is the Z51 has several elements each of which at different times may have been in short supply.

The second, the gearing for the Z51 likely means not as good fuel mileage as the non-Z51 and GM needs a certain mix for CAFE.

Laborsmith

3000 means your order will be produced. Constraint is what keeps orders from advancing past 1100.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:29 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
in addition to any supplier issues, GM can only produce a certain % of cars as Z51 without having the gas mileages etc. certified seperately from the base car, which is expensive and, I assume, would have a negative affect on their CAFE
Originally Posted by laborsmith
The second, the gearing for the Z51 likely means not as good fuel mileage as the non-Z51 and GM needs a certain mix for CAFE.

Laborsmith
I don't put too much stock in that considering the A6 gets 1 MPG less in both numbers and was never constrained.

Quick Reply: Constraints - July 24